Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

ontario_rat is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Hi, folks.

I would not deny I am Christian, and I am eager to join a home-like church, praying together, getting spiritual support, being more "intergrated" into the community, especially when I am a newcomer to Canada.

However, I found the church I went to closed the doors especially for Chrisitians like me. It is a Presbyterian church (Knox church) in the downtown, toronto. I found they just ignored me, maybe because I was not introduced by someone else locally? I don't even know who is the pastor. Actually, they were playing around with those non-Chrisitians who just want to learn English in the ESL class, holding party, laughing, joking, dancing sexily when they were singing holy poems(well, they can call it as B.B.Q and worship activies inluded whatever). Don't they take Christianity seriously? Or they just like to meet people?

And when I sit with them in the cars for the BBQ, one of the "leader" of missonary talked to another guy, " Is this person...blah...blah....?" (talking about me. Well, I do know english, speak english, don't you think it is very impolite to talk with another person about me and I just sit besides?!

Yes, I felt I was excluded by this church, People here is as cold as the ice because it is downtown toronto? And I think people outside of the church are far more friendly
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disappointed with Canadian Church...

If you dont like that one (and I can understand why you wouldnt), then try another. Some church communities can be terribly cliquey and its not easy for an insider to break in from the outside. Some are very welcoming. There are many to choose from.

Its not just churches of course...think about how thing were in your home country...how welcoming and accepting of outsiders were the groups there. Im sure they were not all universally welcoming.

Its probably fair to say that as a newcommer its up to you to make the effort to reach out and be accepted though, to make the first step, the people already here have a network of friends and associates already. One think Ive found is that as in immigrant, Ive had to become a lot less introverted, and with a language barrier its going to be doubly difficult.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 16th 2009 at 8:17 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Disappointed with Canadian Church...

Originally Posted by iaink
If you dont like that one (and I can understand why you wouldnt), then try another. Some church communities can be terribly cliquey and its not easy for an insider to break in from the outside. Some are very welcoming. There are many to choose from.

Its not just churches of course...think about how thing were in your home country...how welcoming and accepting of outsiders were the groups there. Im sure they were not all universally welcoming.

Its probably fair to say that as a newcommer its up to you to make the effort to reach out and be accepted though, to make the first step, the people already here have a network of friends and associates already. One think Ive found is that as in immigrant, Ive had to become a lot less introverted.
Thanks for the comments.

Actually I did have a good connection with my local church in my hometown, is it because it is located in a smaller city? We just have a very close relationship with the pastor. I am afraid that the church in canada will not be open to new immigrants as to those local people

Last edited by ontario_rat; Jul 16th 2009 at 8:22 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt put it down to just the small town thing. Sometimes it just takes time, thats all. The church may be in a big city, but the people attending are probably from just the local parish area, rather than from all over.

How long did it take to get a good relationship with the old pastor? Some people are just better at the welcoming thing than others, maybe its worth trying again, they might recognise you from last time and be more open?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

I wouldnt put it down to just the small town thing. Sometimes it just takes time, thats all. The church may be in a big city, but the people attending are probably from just the local parish area, rather than from all over.

How long did it take to get a good relationship with the old pastor? Some people are just better at the welcoming thing than others, maybe its worth trying again, they might recognise you from last time and be more open?
Well, I don't think so. They are open to non-Christians/students. But not welcoming a Chrisitian.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:26 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ontario_rat
Well, I don't think so. They are open to non-Christians/students. But not welcoming a Chrisitian.
So you've tried one church and that's it? What denomination are you? Have you actually bothered to look for other church's that will satisfy your requirements?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ontario_rat
Well, you are already a convert...so maybe they were focussing their attention on those that needed it more

Whatever, plenty more churches out there if you dont want to go there again. I can only speak for the catholic churches my wife occasionally drags me along too, but there is usually a greeting desk where you can make your presence as a new parisioner known. Its a way to break the ice and more likely to work than waiting for someone else to make the first move.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brownstar
So you've tried one church and that's it? What denomination are you? Have you actually bothered to look for other church's that will satisfy your requirements?
Yes, I will try other churches to find a home in. I just came here for 1 month.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Please don't judge all churches on that particuliar one. There are many wonderful churches in Ont, and yes small towns seem to be a bit more welcoming. Don't get discourage, you will find the right one, you were patient when moving over to Canada, you researched and sorted out where and what you wanted to do. Do the same with the church, google churches in your area, buy local newpapers they usually have local churches listed, or even phone book.
Just don't give up!! Not every church is the right church for everyone.
have faith, put it in God's hands.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Well, one month is only the first step of a long journey. Far too soon to cast judgment. Good Luck.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Please don't judge all churches on that particuliar one. There are many wonderful churches in Ont, and yes small towns seem to be a bit more welcoming. Don't get discourage, you will find the right one, you were patient when moving over to Canada, you researched and sorted out where and what you wanted to do. Do the same with the church, google churches in your area, buy local newpapers they usually have local churches listed, or even phone book.
Just don't give up!! Not every church is the right church for everyone.
have faith, put it in God's hands.
Well, one month is only the first step of a long journey. Far too soon to cast judgment. Good Luck.
Thanks for every one. God bless....
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:42 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

You should move here to Edmonton, our Landlady is always trying to get us to go to Church when we don't even believe.

We went a few times but we were always made to feel very welcome, even enjoyed it a little

I think she is starting to get the picture after seven months. It was very nice of her to go out of her way to try and make us fit in with the community.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
You should move here to Edmonton, our Landlady is always trying to get us to go to Church when we don't even believe.

We went a few times but we were always made to feel very welcome, even enjoyed it a little

I think she is starting to get the picture after seven months. It was very nice of her to go out of her way to try and make us fit in with the community.
I'm disappointed with churches period.
Well I used to be a church goer in the UK, but from experiences over the years of a number of church goers, there and here I am done with it all. They preach one thing and do another. There are many people who live very good lives and help others without setting foot in a church.

When one sees all the things that are done in this world in the name of a religion that bring suffering and pain. Priests being accused of all sorts of things, missionaries forcing their religion on indigenous peoples, such as the mission schools in Canada and elsewhere.

To my mind it is more about how we live our lives than buildings, hymns & prayers.

Now plummeting toward the ground at terminal velocity I may quickly change that opinion, but that's it for now.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:13 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I'm disappointed with churches period.
Well I used to be a church goer in the UK, but from experiences over the years of a number of church goers, there and here I am done with it all. They preach one thing and do another. There are many people who live very good lives and help others without setting foot in a church.

When one sees all the things that are done in this world in the name of a religion that bring suffering and pain. Priests being accused of all sorts of things, missionaries forcing their religion on indigenous peoples, such as the mission schools in Canada and elsewhere.

To my mind it is more about how we live our lives than buildings, hymns & prayers.

Now plummeting toward the ground at terminal velocity I may quickly change that opinion, but that's it for now.
Your right, I know lots of very nice people including myself that don't go to Church and we would all go out of our way to help each other and anyone else for that matter.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:39 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
There are many people who live very good lives and help others without setting foot in a church.
There are also a great many people that do go to church who live very good lives and help others. Far worse has been in the name of political ideology than has been done in the name of religion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.