Direct Debit

Old May 22nd 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Direct Debit

Forgive me if I sound stupid.

I am assuming that most bills, insurances etc can be paid by direct debit on a monthly basis like in the uk ?

Thanks

JET
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:12 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct Debit

Yup they are called pre authorised debits here. Although do be aware that with most banks - whilst these things are easy to set up they are a pain in the arse to cancel - not like going onto your online banking and clicking delete!!!!!!

Your new choice of bank will be able to sort it out for you
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:11 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Most people get paid bi-weekly here so you can also have bi-weekly and even weekly DDs
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
Forgive me if I sound stupid.

I am assuming that most bills, insurances etc can be paid by direct debit on a monthly basis like in the uk ?

Thanks

JET
We have most things such as utilities on pre-authorized credit card payments or go online to pay.
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

mutchg1 is an unknown quantity at this point

you will get paid bi weekly on the 15th and 31st of the month if you get the job.
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

An offer is already there...they are working out the relocation bit of it before the offer comes through.

I would have thought that 1 paycheck per month...but maybe 2x a month....as long as tthee wage is what it is I guess it does not matter.

JET
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you see my PM regarding my meeting with Fernando ?

JET
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
In NB they want Property Taxes paid up front for the year. You can pay monthly (not particularly well advertised) but anything for the full year unpaid by the due date attracts a financial penalty similar to the way a credit card would charge interest on uncleared balances.

So if you do pay monthly at some point in the year you'll start having that penalty/interest added to what's owed. That's what it says on the bill.

Similarly with water charges that are metered and billed quarterly.

We pay insurance monthly and there's a small admin fee for that.

Canada (or at least NB) does seem to like it's admin fees.
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:41 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay monthly by direct debit for most things, including property tax in 10 installments. However, it is not that easy to set up. In dealing with such things be prepared for:

1) the void cheque (coming from the UK you probably won't remember what a cheque is, but they love them here). I don't actually think these are legally required, but seem to be requested due to the general incompetency of people to know their bank account details.

2) a fax machine. Banks love fax here. I haven't owned a fax since the mid-eighties. Also, have legal paper.
Old May 23rd 2010, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to second the 'easy to set up (esp with a void cheque) but virtually impossible to cancel' line.

We pay everything monthly online or or over the counter, and have no direct debits set up. (and I work in a bank )
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:53 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia power is the only utility company I pay by DD via my bank account - they do not allow credit card payments. Everyone else can be paid automatically through our credit card - great for racking up airmiles