Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:58 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Don't forget Blenheim, Trafalgar and Waterloo
Hi! I hadn't, just doing all that talking deserved a stop at the watering hole!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Hi! I hadn't, just doing all that talking deserved a stop at the watering hole!
Presumably not Perrier water or, heaven forbid, Vichy.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:39 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvy
Presumably not Perrier water or, heaven forbid, Vichy.
Oh sweetie The only water I drink is diluted! In the form of ice from the fridge. (Heaven forbid is right) lol

Last edited by Porthcawl; Jul 7th 2014 at 8:48 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Errol Flynn had an enormous jumper?
After he finished with it as Robin Hood he passed it on to The Earl of Cardigan.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well Shard, sorry about the gorilla thing but I forgot your monica! I can give you a quick run down on why us Brits (more specifically Englishmen) really do not like the French. They (the french that is) love to claim victory for 1066 which had Absolutely nothing what so ever to do with French at all. A big fat NOTHING. The Normans who invaded England were French settled Vikings they had only just started using French ( using Old Norse language from William the Conqueror's grandfather) and had conformed to the rules of Viking settlement eveywhere, small scale raids for plunder and slaves, larger raids for whole scale invasions of settlement. When the land was won and safe to settle they sent for their women. This pattern was repeated all over Northern Europe (Ireland,England,Scotland, the Faroes you name it)...But when it comes to France its totally different! The French will have us believe they only took local women. lol It's the one and ONLY victory on English soil by a French speaking enemy (though not of French race) and they need that fact after what we done to them during the 100yrs war which is, due to the Norman conquest the subsequent rulers of England had a claim to the French throne. We went to war with them over this a war that lasted about 113 yrs.They won (well they would, they out numbered us 4-1)but the embarrassment comes from how long it took to kick such a small nations army out of their country..Not to mention the Battles of Crecy, Poitier's and the big one Agincourt! whereby we absolutely decimated the French nobles. They eventually won that but we left them destitute.

One of you people mentioned France being our Ally in W11?They just did not bother with that one preferring to leave the people across the channel (Us) to deal with it alone. This is what really gets up my nose about french arrogance. Thousands and thousands of British troops blood and guts were spilled in both wars for france and THEIR freedom. Yet they are arrogant and hostile to British people even now. Those Normandy beaches and those battlefields of WW11 are OURS by the British blood spilt there. They need to show respect because without us, they'd have no country. We saw them through two wars not one!
The French troops actually went on strike(they still do I think) leaving us the burden of holding our lines and theirs Know something else, I also dislike the Germans. I remember the war and my Mother having to put blackout curtains up at the windows in the house to hide the light in the evenings The drone of the German bomber planes flying over our town, the sirens going off and my parents getting my two brothers and myself up to take us to the air-raid shelter in the garden in the middle of the night. Oh! you're all saying you should have got over that by now. Let me tell the person who mentioned a"psychiatrist" in one response to me, that they nearly always seem to stem things back to childhood.
That is possibly the most ridiculous argument to dislike the French that I have ever had the misfortune to hear. Are you serious? What absolute bollox to be hung up on the Norman Invasion. And ask the Scots (still part of Britain) whether they resent the French and you'll get a very different British view.

I'm perhaps 20 years younger than you and I'm more than ready to forgive and forget the Germans for their undeniable aggression in the 20th century, and you're holding grudges against the French for not bring adequate allies. You need move on. The Germans I've met are decent people and practically all have contrition for the wars of their grandparents. Why dwell on these ancient conflicts and resentments?

Bizarre views. Do stick around on the site, we need to re-educate you.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Troll. Don't feed the.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
That is possibly the most ridiculous argument to dislike the French that I have ever had the misfortune to hear. Are you serious? What absolute bollox to be hung up on the Norman Invasion. And ask the Scots (still part of Britain) whether they resent the French and you'll get a very different British view.

I'm perhaps 20 years younger than you and I'm more than ready to forgive and forget the Germans for their undeniable aggression in the 20th century, and you're holding grudges against the French for not bring adequate allies. You need move on. The Germans I've met are decent people and practically all have contrition for the wars of their grandparents. Why dwell on these ancient conflicts and resentments?

Bizarre views. Do stick around on the site, we need to re-educate you.

Nice to know you want me around even if it's to ridicule me. It's not my education that needs to be changed and the truth will stand. One can't change history, and for me to change my feelings about these things is not going to happen. So, knock it on the head and have done. Let's discuss something else.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Troll. Don't feed the.
Unless you can write something constructive-Don't bother
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can write something constructive-Don't bother

Constructive? Let me try. You're a troll. I deduce this because there's no person in the world who could possibly be (a) sane and (b) hold your ludicrous views in the present epoch.

That said, I'm sure you'd enjoy Stephen Clarke's little book called "One Thousand Years of Annoying the French". (just 650 pages and well worth the years it would take you to plough through)

It's a hoot, just like you.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know you want me around even if it's to ridicule me. It's not my education that needs to be changed and the truth will stand. One can't change history, and for me to change my feelings about these things is not going to happen. So, knock it on the head and have done. Let's discuss something else.
Have you met my Father-in-Law? You two would get on like a house on fire! He still hates the Romans for invading Britain in 55 BC.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Have you met my Father-in-Law? You two would get on like a house on fire! He still hates the Romans for invading Britain in 55 BC.
What have they ever done for us?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What have they ever done for us?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
No,I haven't had the pleasure but, there you are, I am not alone. Glad all the Trolls are not extinct ,:there's hope yet!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Constructive? Let me try. You're a troll. I deduce this because there's no person in the world who could possibly be (a) sane and (b) hold your ludicrous views in the present epoch.

That said, I'm sure you'd enjoy Stephen Clarke's little book called "One Thousand Years of Annoying the French". (just 650 pages and well worth the years it would take you to plough through)

It's a hoot, just like you.
So I'm a troll - could be worse, I could be a french troll! About being a hoot, Oh Novo I can be hilarious
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:39 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
If you think mastering a system that has units of 3 (3 feet = 1 yard), 12 (12 inches = 1 foot), 6 (6 feet = 1 fathom), 2240 (2240 lbs = 1 ton), 16 (16 ounces = 1lb) and has freezing and boiling points of 32 and 212, then more power to you...

I'm just happy plodding along with units of 10.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Differences between Canadian and British people-fiqy71s.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.