Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

staceyw82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Ignore him. Bout ye
there are some petty people in this world... Bout ye sir. Where u fey?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staceyw82
Sorry, the combination of guns and NI is often in my head of late, so "duel" for "dual" amused me.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:12 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Carrickfergus to Cabbagetown. Bit of a difference!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sorry, the combination of guns and NI is often in my head of late, so "duel" for "dual" amused me.
You want to be careful with that. You can't have just anyone shooting your weapon.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
You want to be careful with that. You can't have just anyone shooting your weapon.
No one but you has pulled my trigger in months. Well, me too, I suppose, but you were watching.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
No one but you has pulled my trigger in months. Well, me too, I suppose, but you were watching.
Glad to hear it.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

what a conversation! lol! I lived in butt f*** nowhere outside dungiven!! Toronto is a massive change! Visa runs out in feb though so currently applying for LMO and common law
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

i moved here last feb from n. ireland, my bf is scottish and is a duel citizen, been here on and off all his life, we live at jarvis and bloor which is perfect for commute to work and night life! we'll be hasppy to help when u get here!
Thanks Stacey! Isn't Bloor the posh bit or is that just Yonge/Bloor in particular
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:50 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Some specific questions....

1. Broadband at home - who offers it and how much would we expect to pay? Is it difficult to arrange in a rental property?

2. Any tips for renting? How will landlords be with references from the UK?

3. Can I use my IPHONE on a canadian network, and do you still get charged for incoming calls and messages???

Thanks buddies!!
1: Rogers and Bell will provide you with broadband, there are also other ISP's such as TekSavvy and myCybernet, and probably lots of others. Have a look on the Rogers and Bell sites for pricing.

2: I'm trying to think what, if anything, I provided as a reference when renting. I have a feeling all I had was a letter from my boss saying how long I'd worked for the company, etc... I was transferred from the UK office to the Canadian office, hence the letter.

3: What iPhone do you have? With regards to using it. You need to be a bit more specific. Do you mean "Use it, but keeping my existing contract" If so, then yes you can do this, it's known as roaming, more specifically international roaming and you will be charged a fortune for this, so it's not a good idea.
Rogers, Bell, Fido and Telus do have the iPhone on their networks. I'm not sure exactly how you fair if you have an existing phone and want to just get a contract with them, pretty sure you probably can do that, however, and this is a massive point, your iPhone WILL need to be "unlocked".
This means that it can be used with any network, and by default it will be locked to the network you are using. I know in the UK that O2 will, once your contract is up, unlock it for you, not sure about other networks though.
If there isn't an official unlock from your network, you will need to Jailbreak and then Unlock the iPhone. Once it's unlocked you can put a SIM card from any network in it and it'll work
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Thanks Stacey! Isn't Bloor the posh bit or is that just Yonge/Bloor in particular
Yorkville would be which is just a stone throw away! that would be more bay and bloor
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

sallydawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm researching the same area. Can somebody please give me road names so I can work out exactly what is and what is not High Park, ditto Yorkville? Much appreciated!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallydawson
Hi, I'm researching the same area. Can somebody please give me road names so I can work out exactly what is and what is not High Park, ditto Yorkville? Much appreciated!
This really helps!

Click Downtown, then you can cross reference on google maps.

http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Accurate comments on this one: http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

sallydawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks people
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

The Danforth....discuss!

2 adults, 30yrs old - married with no kids - IT Manager & not for profit Manager.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.