Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Default Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Hi all,

LOVE reading the Canniversary stories on here, keeps me so motivated!

Looking for a Toronto buddy who wouldn't mind giving us some local advice over the next 12 - 18 months about settling in the area....??

I lived in downtown for a year in 2001/2002 and have been back to visit twice since then for holidays (vacations!), but some up to date info would be REALLY helpful. We only have our medicals to complete and a LOT of finance to clear off and then we are there

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
FS
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Looking for a Toronto buddy who wouldn't mind giving us some local advice over the next 12 - 18 months about settling in the area....??

Wotcha. We're moving out there this June. I'm also making one last recce there in the Spring to nail down some accommodation. I've scouted a bunch of 'hoods and have a shortlist of areas to focus on now.

Happy to be your buddy. Not there yet, but have been gathering a fair amount of info!

Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by London Mike

Wotcha. We're moving out there this June. I'm also making one last recce there in the Spring to nail down some accommodation. I've scouted a bunch of 'hoods and have a shortlist of areas to focus on now.

Happy to be your buddy. Not there yet, but have been gathering a fair amount of info!

Good luck.
Out of interest which "hoods" got to your short list?

Miss C
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Out of interest which "hoods" got to your short list?

Miss C
We're seriously looking at Leaside, High Park/Swansea, Roncesvalles, North/South Lawrence. Also, open-minded about Beaches and Danforth. Ok, umm, not so 'short' I guess!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:04 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I live downtown. If you want anything, just shout.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:57 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I live downtown too, CityPlace.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the middle of nowhere but have lived downtown, in the Beach and in Leslieville, a daughter of mine lives on the Danforth. I'm now looking to move back to Toronto; exact location to be determined. I know something of the city, what would you like to know?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:42 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I live in the middle of nowhere but have lived downtown, in the Beach and in Leslieville, a daughter of mine lives on the Danforth. I'm now looking to move back to Toronto; exact location to be determined. I know something of the city, what would you like to know?
Is it possible to find somewhere for chickens and horses downtown?

I recently learned that it's illegal to keep chickens in Windsor
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Is it possible to find somewhere for chickens and horses downtown?

I recently learned that it's illegal to keep chickens in Windsor
It's legal to keep chickens in North York but not roosters. That's north of the 401 but is on the subway, not downtown in my view but definitely still urban.

I suspect horses are legal everywhere but finding ten acres of pasture south of Bloor is both a logistical and financial challenge. One can rent space in the horse palace at the Ex and possibly in Sunnybrook Park but at what cost I dread to think.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by London Mike

Good luck.
Thanks Mike! I lived in The Annex and The Beaches when I was there in 2001, however I was a single student then, and now I am a married lady!! LOVED the beaches, so have been browsing viewit.ca closely and prices seem to be about $950 per month for an unfurnished 1 bed apartment.... Bit steep?

I also really loved the Yonge/Eglington area .... ah decisions!

Also thanks to all of you for the support - there will be MANY questions!

Why did you all choose Toronto?? (Apart from the fact that it is AWESOME!!!)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Some specific questions....

1. Broadband at home - who offers it and how much would we expect to pay? Is it difficult to arrange in a rental property?

2. Any tips for renting? How will landlords be with references from the UK?

3. Can I use my IPHONE on a canadian network, and do you still get charged for incoming calls and messages???

Thanks buddies!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:39 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Some specific questions....

1. Broadband at home - who offers it and how much would we expect to pay? Is it difficult to arrange in a rental property?

2. Any tips for renting? How will landlords be with references from the UK?

3. Can I use my IPHONE on a canadian network, and do you still get charged for incoming calls and messages???

Thanks buddies!!
1. If you just mean internet, then I highly recommend teksavvy. They run about $25 a month for unlimited use. Stay the hell away from big companies like bell and rogers who'll screw you every chance they get. No problem getting it anywhere you live (if I understand what you mean by broadband).

2.They probably won't bother following up on them. You're better off with a work reference if you have a job lined up here instead.

3.Haven't got a damned clue.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 6th 2010 at 12:42 am.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all

We move to Toronto next Thursday (assuming uk ever becomes unparallised by the snow) and will be living on Bay for the first three months in company apartment while we look forward somewhere to rent. I have been working out there for six months and done some reccies. Really like the west side High Park, Old Mill, Royal York but they come with a much higher price tag than east of the city. Going to have a look at north west instead around Yorkdale which seems to have good facilities and close to highway. If you want to connect once your out feel free to PM me
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
We move to Toronto next Thursday (assuming uk ever becomes unparallised by the snow) and will be living on Bay for the first three months in company apartment while we look forward somewhere to rent. I have been working out there for six months and done some reccies. Really like the west side High Park, Old Mill, Royal York but they come with a much higher price tag than east of the city. Going to have a look at north west instead around Yorkdale which seems to have good facilities and close to highway. If you want to connect once your out feel free to PM me
Thank you Nibbles, I'll drop you a line once you have time to get settled in!

Does anyone know what a Jr 1 Bedroom is compared to a 'normal' 1 Bedroom?

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:33 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Does anyone know what a Jr 1 Bedroom is compared to a 'normal' 1 Bedroom?

Thanks
Small. Sometimes landlords bullshit by calling a bachelor a Jr 1 bedroom. My last place was called a Jr 1 bedroom, it was an L-shaped bachelor. It depends on the place I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.