Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Default Re: Did anyone settle in Toronto or nearby?

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Small. Sometimes landlords bullshit by calling a bachelor a Jr 1 bedroom. My last place was called a Jr 1 bedroom, it was an L-shaped bachelor. It depends on the place I suppose.
And a Bachelor is....? A studio? Just one room to live and sleep?

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
And a Bachelor is....? A studio? Just one room to live and sleep?

Cheers
Yup. Mind I lived in a 1200 sq ft bachelor, that was luxurious rather than cramped but still just a bathroom and one big room with kitchen appliances at one end and windows at the other.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 6th 2010 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:24 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they have Spinster apartments?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:36 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Do they have Spinster apartments?
Yes, slightly bigger than a bachelor to allow for the cats.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Yes, slightly bigger than a bachelor to allow for the cats.
A woman living alone with multiple cats needs a "Dedicated Spinster" apartment.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:55 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Toronto in July this year. Living at Yonge and Eglinton. Happy to help if I can.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I moved to Toronto in July this year. Living at Yonge and Eglinton. Happy to help if I can.
Awesome - That is one of the areas I would really love to live in, there or the Beaches perhaps....ponder ponder!

How are you finding it? Where did you move from? Have you rented or bought? Sorry for so many questions!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Awesome - That is one of the areas I would really love to live in, there or the Beaches perhaps....ponder ponder!

How are you finding it? Where did you move from? Have you rented or bought? Sorry for so many questions!
Much as I love the Beach, something to be wary of is that the transit there is the streetcar whereas at Yonge and Eglinton it's the subway. The streetcar is slower and prone to failure in the winter (the power pick ups freeze, cars get stuck across the tracks) but, at least, when it breaks you can get off and walk; with the subway you're stuck in a tunnel.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:31 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a nice area and convenient for most things. It is expensive to own though there are a lot of rentals - not sure how they price up. There are some nice smaller shops etc around as well as the usual larger supermarkets, shoppers etc - though a few seem to have closed on the north side of Eglinton. Lots of places to eat and drink. Endless coffee shops. Its not as funky as some other areas in the city (the nickname Young and Eligible doesn't quite seem to describe the area, but perhaps I am missing something!). It is an easy part of the city to live in though, and I suspect will only improve as the LRT comes to be. There is also likely to be more and more condos going up.
The main thing I would look at is where do you need to get to every day, and make that travel as easy as possible. I didn't give it quite enough thought, and although we live 1 min from the subway (which is great) my commute is a little more than I would like. When the weather is bad every extra minute outside matters I find (similar to what dbd was talking about I think). There are also some places I would not want to have to commute to by car from here each day. Getting downtown is very easy, 15 mins to Eaton Centre.
I don't think you could dislike living here, but as with anywhere, see whether the area feels right for you.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Its a nice area and convenient for most things. It is expensive to own though there are a lot of rentals - not sure how they price up. There are some nice smaller shops etc around as well as the usual larger supermarkets, shoppers etc - though a few seem to have closed on the north side of Eglinton. Lots of places to eat and drink. Endless coffee shops. Its not as funky as some other areas in the city (the nickname Young and Eligible doesn't quite seem to describe the area, but perhaps I am missing something!). It is an easy part of the city to live in though, and I suspect will only improve as the LRT comes to be. There is also likely to be more and more condos going up.
The main thing I would look at is where do you need to get to every day, and make that travel as easy as possible. I didn't give it quite enough thought, and although we live 1 min from the subway (which is great) my commute is a little more than I would like. When the weather is bad every extra minute outside matters I find (similar to what dbd was talking about I think). There are also some places I would not want to have to commute to by car from here each day. Getting downtown is very easy, 15 mins to Eaton Centre.
I don't think you could dislike living here, but as with anywhere, see whether the area feels right for you.
You are right on all fronts! It's always going to be difficult as we are both unlikely to have jobs when we arrive...

Hubby is an IT Development manager, we assumed all the jobs would be downtown T.O. but a cursory search online seems to favour Missisauga, where I really DO NOT want to live
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You are right on all fronts! It's always going to be difficult as we are both unlikely to have jobs when we arrive...

Hubby is an IT Development manager, we assumed all the jobs would be downtown T.O. but a cursory search online seems to favour Missisauga, where I really DO NOT want to live
Almost as many people reverse commute from Toronto as commute into it, I did that from the Beach to Guelph, to Kitchener, to Mississauga and to whatever that bland expanse of light industry along the 404 north of the city is called. If considering that be aware that the 401 around Dixie is the busiest bit, also be aware that the Gardiner/427/QEW is extremely slow if there's an event at the Skydome or ACC, so don't come home on nights when there's baseball or iced hockey.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

staceyw82 is an unknown quantity at this point

i moved here last feb from n. ireland, my bf is scottish and is a duel citizen, been here on and off all his life, we live at jarvis and bloor which is perfect for commute to work and night life! we'll be hasppy to help when u get here!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

<leaves "n. ireland" and "duel" well alone>
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

staceyw82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
<leaves "n. ireland" and "duel" well alone>
Well u know i mean dual...but what u getting at?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:49 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by staceyw82
Well u know i mean dual...but what u getting at?
Ignore him. Bout ye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.