Describe -35

Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:04 am
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future
Default Re: Describe -35

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Don’t worry, it will be a “dry cold” in Calgary, better than the “damp cold” I suppose we get in Ontario. At least that’s what Westerners always say. I’m not sure what the difference is – anyone here able to explain?
Damp cold is what we get in the UK which seems much more penetrating than the cold we get in Ontario despite the much colder temperatures.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:29 am
Henry Bear

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
What about people, like me, who wear soft contact lenses - presumably they'd freeze like little crisps onto my eyeballs. I feel that may be a tad painful.
They get a bit dry and sticky - lots of blinking!!!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
They get a bit dry and sticky - lots of blinking!!!
Many years ago lived in Prince George, which had very very cold winters. Drove a VW and although it had an heater for the the engine, in real cold weather the oil in the transmission would basically freeze. So on cold nights you had to park in gear in the direction that you wanted to go, because in the morning it didn't shift until the tranny warmed up.

PMM
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road

Initially you don't feel anything then if you're not protected properly you begin to feel what can only be described as a burning sensation slowly getting worse

So long as there's not too much wind you're fine for perhaps 5 minutes before it starts to get really unpleasant

If you're wearing a woolen balaclava you may see a thin layer of snow on the top of it where moisture has migrated and frozen

If on the other hand you're keeping busy while outside you'll hardly notice it at all, I've been indoors in -40c or so in a giant freezer with thermal suit open and a t-shirt and thin sweater between me and the air due to being pretty active at the time and too warm with the suit on and done up.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:45 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueW77
Can't wait to experience the wonders of frozen nasal hair!
It's delightful.

Another fun one is when you have a bath/shower shortly before going out and don't dry your ears thoroughly. Freezing water in the ear canal. Lovely.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sydney
Damp cold is what we get in the UK which seems much more penetrating than the cold we get in Ontario despite the much colder temperatures.
Totally agree, dry cold and dry heat feel far less extreme than the dampness that often accompanies our weather here.