Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights Dubai / Calgary / Dubai via anywhere

Flights Dubai / Calgary / Dubai via anywhere

Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:17 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights Dubai / Calgary / Dubai via anywhere

EVening all

I'm looking for a cost effective flight from Dubai to Calgary and back over the next xmas period. Any ideas as to who does the best deal.

Any help much (k) appreciated)

Take it easy

TS
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:45 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights Dubai / Calgary / Dubai via anywhere

You can use ITA Software to compare the options. They have a feature that allows you to search for the cheapest day in a month. I have never booked through them. I just use them to compare. Then I go to the actual airlines' websites.

They show Emirates / Sri Lankan Airlines code share to Frankfurt then Lufthansa / Air Canada code share to Calgary. But that combination is problematic, because there is a tight connection at Frankfurt, and on top of that you have to change of terminals at Frankfurt. Also, you have two long flights back-to-back with hardly a chance to stretch your legs between them.

Still within the same general price bracket you have a KLM / Northwest combination that goes Dubai - Amsterdam - Minneapolis - Calgary. Layovers are reasonable lengths. However, the extra stop does add to the overall length of the journey.

According to the Which Budget website, there is a German budget airline called Condor. I'd never heard of it before. In any event, it apparently flies from Dubai to Frankfurt, and it also flies from Frankfurt to Calgary. But, on closer inspection, it seems to offer limited dates. It is not offering anything in December 2006 at present.

I suppose you could fly British Midland to London, UK and then a budget airline like Zoom to Calgary. I have not figured out the price for that combination. The challenge with that is that the two flights would not be "linked," so if you missed your connection you'd be up the creek without a paddle. To be safe you might need to spend a night in London.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I suppose you could fly British Midland to London, UK and then a budget airline like Zoom to Calgary. I have not figured out the price for that combination. The challenge with that is that the two flights would not be "linked," so if you missed your connection you'd be up the creek without a paddle. To be safe you might need to spend a night in London.
Or, maybe BMI to Montreal, I've done that a few times. It's actually a code share operated by AC but cheaper if the ticket says BMI. Dubai, Heathrow, Montreal, Calgary, not a dream trip but it might be cheap.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You can use ITA Software to compare the options. They have a feature that allows you to search for the cheapest day in a month. I have never booked through them. I just use them to compare. Then I go to the actual airlines' websites.

They show Emirates / Sri Lankan Airlines code share to Frankfurt then Lufthansa / Air Canada code share to Calgary. But that combination is problematic, because there is a tight connection at Frankfurt, and on top of that you have to change of terminals at Frankfurt. Also, you have two long flights back-to-back with hardly a chance to stretch your legs between them.

Still within the same general price bracket you have a KLM / Northwest combination that goes Dubai - Amsterdam - Minneapolis - Calgary. Layovers are reasonable lengths. However, the extra stop does add to the overall length of the journey.

According to the Which Budget website, there is a German budget airline called Condor. I'd never heard of it before. In any event, it apparently flies from Dubai to Frankfurt, and it also flies from Frankfurt to Calgary. But, on closer inspection, it seems to offer limited dates. It is not offering anything in December 2006 at present.

Hope that helps.
Condor is quite big. I think it's owned by Thomas Cook. It's what a large number of Germans use to go on holiday.