dentist, health insurance, prov. health cover

dentist, health insurance, prov. health cover

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:14 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough
Default dentist, health insurance, prov. health cover

sorry for the messy title.

we've been run off our feet since arriving on Dec 11th but now I've got a really bad toothache and really need to go see a dentist! pants pants pants
ok - so hubby's health insurance covers us as his company covered us immediately, we've not got our alberta cover yet, so when I get to a dentist what % will I have to pay? private insurance covers dental visits (I hope!). what's the standard cover anyway? sorry if this is pretty vague, I'm in flipping agony. waiting for neighbour to advise of a good dentist too!

apart from that, everything is going well!!
m
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of
Default Re: dentist, health insurance, prov. health cover

Alberta Health doesn't cover "routine dental treatment", so it's probably all down to the level that your husband's cover provides.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Provincial health coverage doesnt cover any dental. Its not the NHS.

A typical employers plan will cover 100% of routine dental, less a nominal annual deductible($50 a person perhaps), 80% of stuff like fillings, root canals, crowns etc, and maybe 50% of orthodontics if you are lucky. Cosmetic procedures are usually not covered, Orthodental is more and more frequently excluded too...

His employee benefit handbook should spell out what's covered and what isnt, or failing that call the health insurance provider.

Its often worth shopping around dentists, some stick closer to the published provincial association rates used by insurers to set limits than others. Ask around for personal recomendations too.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 12th 2009 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on the dentist you may be asked to pay everything then submit the receipt to the insurance company or they may bill the insurance directly and bill you for the deductible.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to be sure you are covered under the extended health care right away. The usual is a three month waiting period for extended health with many policies.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I don't know about dentists in Airdrie, but mine is in the north of Calgary and she is very good. Dr Xu, Crescent Heights Dental Clinic, and my wife is with one of the other dentists there today. 4032763660.

I went before I had documentation from my insurance, so had to pay but they then submitted all the claim on my behalf. I believe that they would have claimed the money direct if I had the details in time.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:37 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough

thanks for your replies! still getting the hang of things here.