Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Consent for children to leave UK?

Consent for children to leave UK?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Location: Colchester, U.K. heading towards sunny Saskatoon.....
demontrucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Consent for children to leave UK?

Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone knows, or has experience of, a partners ex not wanting them to leave the UK with their children?
My partners ex is (amongst other expletives) unlikely to agree for my partner to leave the country with their two children even though he has at best, a fairly poor relationship with them. I know for some countries the absent parents consent is crucial, i was curious to know what the requirements are for canada? Is this consent required for a working visa? If it is not, what would happen if during the working visa, PR was granted etc?
I know i havent worded this particularly well but im sure you see what im getting at. For information, both my partner and her ex (and children of course) are all UK citizens.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consent for children to leave UK?

Your best bet is to do a quick search of the forum as this has been discussed many times before. Unfortunately though, I believe you do either need written consent from the parent being left in the UK to remove the children, or a court order.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by demontrucker
Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone knows, or has experience of, a partners ex not wanting them to leave the UK with their children?
My partners ex is (amongst other expletives) unlikely to agree for my partner to leave the country with their two children even though he has at best, a fairly poor relationship with them. I know for some countries the absent parents consent is crucial, i was curious to know what the requirements are for canada? Is this consent required for a working visa? If it is not, what would happen if during the working visa, PR was granted etc?
I know i havent worded this particularly well but im sure you see what im getting at. For information, both my partner and her ex (and children of course) are all UK citizens.
Assuming the other parent has parental responsibility then without their agreement a court order to remove from the jurisdiction would be required. Even on a TWP there is a better than none chance of being asked at the POE for a letter of consent. Without which could result in them being put on the first flight back.

PR would not be granted without with an agreement or court order. Even if the other parent does not have parental responsibility CIC are likley going to want to see a court order to remove.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:41 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

We have been though the process ourselves (removal from jurisdiction) in almost exactly the same situation as you.
Feel free to PM me, I would be happy to share our experience.
Wishing you the best...
Lorraine G