Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Denied US visa waiver

Denied US visa waiver

Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

enbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denied US visa waiver

I'm a permanent resident of Canada and I recently applied for the US visa waiver as I'm going to New York in 2 weeks for a vacation. I've applied previously and not had a problem but I checked the progress of my application today and it has been denied.

Is there something different about applying via the ESTA website as a UK citizen that is a permanent resident of Canada that I should be aware of? I'm really upset as this is my first vacation with my Canadian girlfriend and I don't understand why it would be denied
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied US visa waiver

Didn't you get an instant clearance on the ESTA web site? It's years now since I did mine, but I would have thought that not getting cleared straight away would show some kind of red flag against you.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

No, when I applied it said it would take up to 72 hours for a decision which also worried me. I've read the application over a few times and I can't see any mistakes in the questions or information given.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to post in the US forum, and see if anyone can make any suggestions.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, posting there now.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been a PR?

Step 5: View Your Application Status

In most cases the Electronic System for Travel Authorization will return an Application Status immediately. In cases where more time is needed to process an electronic travel authorization application, an answer will be usually returned within 72 hours. Information will be provided to check the application status if you receive a pending response. The three possible responses to an electronic travel authorization application are:

Authorization Approved. Your travel authorization has been approved and you are authorized to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. The system displays confirmation of the application approval and a payment receipt notice showing the amount charged to your credit card. A travel authorization does not guarantee admission to the United States; as a Customs and Border Protection officer at a port of entry will have the final determination.
Travel Not Authorized. You are not authorized to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. You may be able to obtain a visa from the Department of State for your travel. Please visit the United States Department of State Web site at travel.state.gov for additional information about applying for a visa. This response does not deny entry into the United States. This response only prohibits you from traveling to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. The system also displays a payment receipt notice showing the amount charged to your credit card for the processing of the ESTA application.
Authorization Pending. Your travel authorization is under review because an immediate determination could not be made for your application. This response does not indicate negative findings. A determination will usually be available within 72 hours. Please return to this Web site and choose Retrieve Previously-Submitted Authorization to Travel to the United States for One or More Persons. Your application number, passport number, and birth date will be required to check the status of your application.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

I became a PR last October.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enbee
I became a PR last October.
OK I was going to suggest if you were a PR for several years then get Canadian citizenship then no more ESTAs or I94 waivers required
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

I applied again under the advice from people in the US forum and was instantly denied. Is there anything else I can do? Someone suggested that I apply for a B2 visa but that will take up to 14 days just to get an interview and my flight is on July 18th.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enbee
I applied again under the advice from people in the US forum and was instantly denied. Is there anything else I can do? Someone suggested that I apply for a B2 visa but that will take up to 14 days just to get an interview and my flight is on July 18th.
I'm not sure there's anything else to suggest, if your ESTA has been refused then you have no option but to apply for a visa to enter the US. The peeps in the US forums are far better placed to advise though, so I'd suggest you stick to your thread there.

I'll close this one, good luck.