Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Degrees pouring out of your ears!

Degrees pouring out of your ears!

Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Degrees pouring out of your ears!

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
I am currently living and working in England, I work as a learning mentor which is the same as a Guidance Counsellor in Canada, to do the job in Candad you require several degrees! over in Uk you need life skills and plenty experience, I am also a qualified secretary, but I have noticed you also need a degree to do that!! please tell me, am I destined to be a shop girl at 41? or are their opportunites to pursue where I left off in UK once we move to Canada? Please note, I am great at my job
To be a school guidance counsellor in Alberta you need a B.Ed., and a Masters in Psychology or ED., Psych - or at least 20 credits or so into the course.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Degrees are very much a requirement these days in North America for many jobs, even jobs that don't necessarily need a degree or formal training/education.

The degree is the modern high school diploma.

The downside is college is exspensive and the various governments generally wont offer sufficient financial aid, or have idiotic methods of determining need.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:53 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Degrees are very much a requirement these days in North America for many jobs, even jobs that don't necessarily need a degree or formal training/education.

The degree is the modern high school diploma.

The downside is college is exspensive and the various governments generally wont offer sufficient financial aid, or have idiotic methods of determining need.
If you can prove you've got good experience without a degree that will excite an employer and think that you're low risk and good, you may get an interview.

It's harder to get your foot in the door without one as you pose a higher risk. Why didn't you get a degree when everyone else has?

That said a degree without experience is generally not worth much either.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
If you can prove you've got good experience without a degree that will excite an employer and think that you're low risk and good, you may get an interview.

It's harder to get your foot in the door without one as you pose a higher risk. Why didn't you get a degree when everyone else has?

That said a degree without experience is generally not worth much either.
I didn't like high school and didn't have anyone in my life telling me to go to college, nobody in my family ever went to college so as a dumb teenager, never went. (I wasn't the only one, looking back to my year book, the school only had 22% of my graduating class as having applied to a college out of 900 people.)

I had a decent job out of high school so at the time didn't feel any pressure to go to college, liked my job, decent pay, great benefits. Mix that in with being a stupid teenager and it isn't always the best decision.

Fast forward to now, and I am attempting to go back for either nursing or laboratory tech, just working on the funding gap that I have between student loans and actual cost.

I am the first to admit that I lack experience, I have industry specific skills not all too useful outside of that industry.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 30th 2009 at 1:53 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

I agree with the earlier comment that North America generally is ridiculously obsessed by degrees.

I have a degree and all the professional qualifications I need to be successful in my career in the UK, but I'm taking a part time MA with London Uni before we head over, as I know that most people in my field in Canada have Masters degrees and I don't want to start off with a disadvantage.

I guess you makes your choices and takes your chances.