Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go back...

Deciding to go back...

Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deciding to go back...

Thanks for your post. We've just been through a similar year in Sydney, Australia, but it was mostly cost of living reasons...and have returned to Calgary. Nice to know we aren't alone.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:49 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Think it is great that you are making what probably isn't that easy a decision & taking the positives from your time in Canada.

I hope I could keep the same attittude should the need arise
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Honestly, we love Canada! We just don't want to live here any more I'd rather make the change now than wait until we hate it here or something crazy.

A friend of mine had a terrible time when he moved from the UK to Australia. He went with his wife and her family and he hated the whole experience. They nearly divorced over the whole experience before they decided to return without her family. He is now taking anti depressants and confesses to feeling extremely angry over the whole thing as he left a good job to move, a nice house etc. I NEVER want to be in that position
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
Honestly, we love Canada! We just don't want to live here any more I'd rather make the change now than wait until we hate it here or something crazy.

A friend of mine had a terrible time when he moved from the UK to Australia. He went with his wife and her family and he hated the whole experience. They nearly divorced over the whole experience before they decided to return without her family. He is now taking anti depressants and confesses to feeling extremely angry over the whole thing as he left a good job to move, a nice house etc. I NEVER want to be in that position
When the adventurous bug hits you, go on holiday. You'll save yourself much heartache.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:40 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When the adventurous bug hits you, go on holiday. You'll save yourself much heartache.
You do have to have a sense of adventure to do it in the first place, I think. But the reasons for going are so important - it can't be restlessness, mid-life crisis, job dissatisfaction, humdrum relationship or any one of a number of other things that might seem like a good reason to go at the time. You will only end up taking those same problems with you and being sorry.
We thought and thought, made lists of pros and cons which we stored away and then brought out months later to re-examine. I was so worried about making a mistake, I wanted us to take our time. We needed to be sure we were not trying to escape from issues in the UK. My OH got a job he was really happy in and we made sure everything was fine here for a few years before we reconsidered emigrating.
I know this will not guarantee success, but it does mean we leave the UK with good memories and some regret, not with bitterness and a good-riddance attitude. If we ever want to come back, we will not be sorry to have tried Canada and nor will we be sorry to come back!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:10 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
Thank you very much for all your well wishes!!

I have so much to plan I don't even know where to begin I am gradually sorting through non essential stuff to sell and looking at shipping costs for extra baggage and costs for the cats today. It's amazing but I have almost completely forgotten what it was like organising things when we moved here and how stressful it was. I think I am more stressed with 6 months to plan than I was with just 3
You're not alone or remotely unusual. Before I moved to Canada I worked at the Canadian High Commission in London. I had mates in the Immigration section. They reckoned that 40% of migrants to Canada went home again within a few years.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:11 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
You're not alone or remotely unusual. Before I moved to Canada I worked at the Canadian High Commission in London. I had mates in the Immigration section. They reckoned that 40% of migrants to Canada went home again within a few years.
This is my third move to Canada. First time I lasted a year, second time five years, this time I've made it a year so far.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:34 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

you are right, Oink!
I think in future I will go on an extended holiday whenever I feel the need to get away lol
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:09 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This is my third move to Canada. First time I lasted a year, second time five years, this time I've made it a year so far.
Are you chronically indecisive or just addicted to removals?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Are you chronically indecisive or just addicted to removals?
I believe it's just the life of a wandering goliard.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:43 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it's just the life of a wandering goliard.
Yes. Very good. Actually when I move back to the UK I always think I miss Canada. Then I come back here and realise it's still a bit crap. And so on.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:09 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Yes. Very good. Actually when I move back to the UK I always think I miss Canada. Then I come back here and realise it's still a bit crap. And so on.
That'll be the indecisive then.....