Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go back...

Deciding to go back...

Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Deciding to go back...

Well, after a tough year and a bit we have decided to take ourselves back to the UK.

OH's job is not all it was made out to be when he initially took it and despite trying to get them to put him on a different project and looking at other opportunities within our area we have concluded we were actually way better off in the UK, with the jobs/lifestyle we had. OH has already emailed his old company who have stated they will re-employ when the time comes. Even if they don't he still has a number of job connections and is very employable in his industry.

We're planning on returning in the new year as we have cats to arrange to transport and our home is currently rented to someone so they will need notice etc.

It hasn't been all bad though. We've had a wonderful time here, made some great friends and will no doubt visit in the future. It's just not what is right for us long term for a number of reasons. We've learnt a hell of a lot about ourselves and what is important to us too and I am glad we can say "we did it" with little in the way of bad feelings or regrets.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:43 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding to go back...

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
Well, after a tough year and a bit we have decided to take ourselves back to the UK.

OH's job is not all it was made out to be when he initially took it and despite trying to get them to put him on a different project and looking at other opportunities within our area we have concluded we were actually way better off in the UK, with the jobs/lifestyle we had. OH has already emailed his old company who have stated they will re-employ when the time comes. Even if they don't he still has a number of job connections and is very employable in his industry.

We're planning on returning in the new year as we have cats to arrange to transport and our home is currently rented to someone so they will need notice etc.

It hasn't been all bad though. We've had a wonderful time here, made some great friends and will no doubt visit in the future. It's just not what is right for us long term for a number of reasons. We've learnt a hell of a lot about ourselves and what is important to us too and I am glad we can say "we did it" with little in the way of bad feelings or regrets.
Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the job - but you've taken a good attitude.

We tried it, it didn't quite work out and we're off. Hey ho!

Best wishes on your plans and your return
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Thank you very much

We have a lot of planning/saving of money ahead of us now
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for the future, you seem to be very positive about your time in Canada and very positive about your return back to the UK, which is very refreshing
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much

We have a lot of planning/saving of money ahead of us now
Good luck and enjoy the cheese, and/or the bacon sarnies.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask which company your OH works for in Montreal? I used to work in the videogames industry too back in the UK. I still develop games here in Canada, but in a different industry, which pays much better and with zero overtime and stress.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
May I ask which company your OH works for in Montreal? I used to work in the videogames industry too back in the UK. I still develop games here in Canada, but in a different industry, which pays much better and with zero overtime and stress.
I'd rather not discuss his place of work here. That is not my place, but his should he so wish to do so...

His work has merely been the "last straw" at this stage and there are a number of other reasons we are heading back. Many of them are personal though and I'd rather not make this a huge thread about how crap certain things are when ultimately we've enjoyed living here and had an overall positive experience.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Good luck with your next new adventure,
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Sounds like you have a very good attitude: came here, gave it a year, not right for you and you're heading back. You've had a new experience and that's good.

Good luck with the move and enjoy you new life back in the UK.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

Fair play to you and all the best.
It's always nice to say you did it then should have, even if the outcome was not the initial plan.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather not discuss his place of work here. That is not my place, but his should he so wish to do so...

His work has merely been the "last straw" at this stage and there are a number of other reasons we are heading back. Many of them are personal though and I'd rather not make this a huge thread about how crap certain things are when ultimately we've enjoyed living here and had an overall positive experience.
No worries, it's totally understandable.
Best of luck to you both
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Great attitude. Tried it. Didn't work. Moved on. Some good memories. Sounds like you are more expats than migrants.

All the best with what you do next.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for all your well wishes!!

I have so much to plan I don't even know where to begin I am gradually sorting through non essential stuff to sell and looking at shipping costs for extra baggage and costs for the cats today. It's amazing but I have almost completely forgotten what it was like organising things when we moved here and how stressful it was. I think I am more stressed with 6 months to plan than I was with just 3
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for all your well wishes!!

I have so much to plan I don't even know where to begin I am gradually sorting through non essential stuff to sell and looking at shipping costs for extra baggage and costs for the cats today. It's amazing but I have almost completely forgotten what it was like organising things when we moved here and how stressful it was. I think I am more stressed with 6 months to plan than I was with just 3
I echo what others have said - I think that you are perfectly right to think it was a valuable experience and take from it all the good you can. In the end, there is sometimes nothing really wrong with a place or a job, it just isn't right for you . Having made the break in the first place, it takes a brave person to accept that it isn't working out and go back.
After all this International removals experience, you could have a new career advising the rest of us on planning it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.