Deciding between Canada and Australia

Old Apr 4th 2021, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Annamumto3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deciding between Canada and Australia

Hello

im a single mum to 3 kids aged 18,11 and 4 months old
Eldest is still in full time education.
im looking at a non skilled visa and then working and studying at the same time to better ourselves once there.

My main worry right now is child care. The cost of it to be more exact.
on what I’d earn I can afford to support my family and study. The child care costs I won’t be able to afford.
dues anyone know if there’s help with costs while working please?

I don’t want to make mistakes by moving us potentially and not being able to afford to work.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Slaydbyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Deciding between Canada and Australia

I can’t speak about Canada, but we moved to Australia 2 years ago.

Salaries are about 30% higher than what I remember of the UK. My wife was an office worker in the UK and earned around £12 per hour ($22 aud). She now works as a domestic cleaner and earns $30.

Higher salaries means the cost of living is higher too, especially food. Whether you go out for a meal, or go to a supermarket, it is around 30% more expensive. Fuel is cheaper in Australia, but depending on where you might live, you drive further.

From my research it looks about $100 per day for childcare. In terms of support, you might get child benefit if you have a permanent visa.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 4:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annamumto3
Hello

im a single mum to 3 kids aged 18,11 and 4 months old
Eldest is still in full time education.
im looking at a non skilled visa and then working and studying at the same time to better ourselves once there.

My main worry right now is child care. The cost of it to be more exact.
on what I’d earn I can afford to support my family and study. The child care costs I won’t be able to afford.
dues anyone know if there’s help with costs while working please?

I don’t want to make mistakes by moving us potentially and not being able to afford to work.
The biggest hurdle may be obtaining a valid job offer (to get a work permit) or Permanent Residence; what is it you do for a living? There are some low/semi-skilled PR PNP streams for some Provinces, but you would have to be working in them for 6-12 months to qualify. You will be able to get some child benefit; there's also help with costs of after school care, but it won't be much compared to the costs involved, and it likely won't cover times that you are studying... which Province are you considering?

This thread may be of use to you - someone else in a very similar situation, wanting to move with 3 children of similar ages... lots of links and info on it
Single mum looking to move with 3 children

Editing to add - If that was your post I linked to, please contact the Site Lead and choose which Username / Account you wish to use and the other will be deleted - you may only have 1 account on British Expats.
Thank you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 4th 2021 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Reminder - 1 account only
Old Apr 5th 2021, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

As an immigrant to Australia, you won't get any help with childcare until you have PR, and also you will need to pay 4,000 dollars school fees (in WA) a year until you have PR, depending on your visa.

Also, for Australia there is no such thing as a non-skilled visa - you need skill points to get a visa

Old Apr 5th 2021, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think your plan is feasible, you might be able to get a low skilled lmia to work in tim Hortons in a low unemployment area (don't know where that is during covid) but I don't know how you'd even afford rent, let alone child care.

If you'd looking to go abroad then there's always Ireland? You don't have to worry about visas, lower costs to move there and it's a wealthy country and fairly affordable outside of Dublin?
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto Australia.

You would make about 50,000 AUD a year,

A 3 bedroom place in the worst suburb of Perth is 30,000 a year.

Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki

A 3 bedroom place in the worst suburb of Perth is 30,000 a year.
No it isn't. Three bedroom houses in the less desirable suburbs of Perth can be rented for well under $20,000 per year. $30,000 per year will get you a three bedroom in a very nice area, or a 4 or 5 bedroom in a mid-range area.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slaydbyme
I can’t speak about Canada, but we moved to Australia 2 years ago.

Salaries are about 30% higher than what I remember of the UK. My wife was an office worker in the UK and earned around £12 per hour ($22 aud). She now works as a domestic cleaner and earns $30.
On the basis of this post if you have a choice take Australia.

You're unlikely to get a higher salary in Canada. I'd say they're typically lower here with most every day items costing more before we get on to ridiculous house prices.

What is your motivation to move though? Do you have family in the UK? Have you looked into the processes as certainly dealing with Citizenship Immigration Canada (CIC) is infuriating. Canada needs immigrants but CIC hates them.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 5th 2021 at 4:30 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I understand there is not a 'nonskilled visa'

Work visas are usually sponsored by employers and they want skilled/experienced workers.

What is your current job in the UK?
Old Apr 8th 2021, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

For Canada, if you can get a job offer for a low skilled job - known as NOC type C or D - you can still get in through a provincial nomination program.
NOC Code: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tion-code.html
Info on semi/low skilled programs: https://www.immigroup.com/canada-semi-skilled-worker

Housing and child care can be expensive though. Another option may be Quebec, which has the most affordable child care in the whole of Canada, but then you run into the French language requirement. Manitoba used to have a very generous provincial nomination program so that might be worth looking into, and housing is affordable there too.

The whole plan on the whole sounds extremely challenging though and it may be worth just waiting until your 4 month old is old enough to start elementary school which will reduce child care costs.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Apr 8th 2021 at 7:54 pm.