Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decided to give it a go, but need info

Decided to give it a go, but need info

Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:54 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decided to give it a go, but need info

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Read that back to yourself Amy and you'll see why I would think that was a VERY dangerous for those girls.
Ooooooh I think perhaps more coffee is needed for me today! I think you all know what I was trying to say!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:29 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello,

[snip] does anyone know if the health insurance in Canada will cover my son for this.[snip]

Jackie
This advice may be redundant if you have already researched healthcare coverage, but it depends on what expenses you mean and what kind of insurance. Provincial governments run health insurance that is closest to the NHS in concept: you pay a modest monthly premium (except in Alberta where it's free) and you are generally covered for all inpatient treatment and doctors' consultations, plus a wide but variable range of other services, but NOT for prescriptions or ambulance rides. These are usually covered by extended healthcare insurance, either provided by an employer or arranged privately. I believe employer-provided schemes usually include coverage for pre-existing conditions (eg. my wife's insulin is covered 100% under my policy).

So, in the event of an anaphilactic reaction needing an ambulance ride, provincial healthcare would cover treatment in the hospital but the ambulance ride and replacement epipen would, I think, fall to extended healthcare insurance to pay for - or to you personally if you don't have such insurance.

More details in the wiki article.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, allergy awareness seems very high here.

Higher than in the UK I'd say, and not just in schools. Our singing group are always urged to be "perfume-free" as some folks are sensitive to perfumes, and we have signs on our shuttle buses requesting no food on the bus in case of allergies in other passengers ... and so on.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:15 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=jackie_w;8233742]Hello,

My husband and I have decided to give Canada a go, and try to move over there.

There is just one thing I want to find out before we go any further.

My youngest has a peanut allergy, and has to have an epipen. As many of you know here in the UK and europe if a food has certain food types in it it must be noted with a warning. Is it like this in Canada. Also, does anyone know if the health insurance in Canada will cover my son for this.

If the canadian food doesnt carry this warning and the health insurance wont cover my sons allergy, then we may need to re-think things.

Hi Jackie
My husband had to use his epipen when he had an allergic reaction whilst we were in NS. We had to go to hospital by ambulance. Our insurance covered all costs when we were back in the UK. We had to buy an epipen out there which cost the equivilent of £50. I am sure you will be covered too, just make sure you have okayed it with your company before you travel.