Reload this Page >

Decided to give it a go, but need info

Decided to give it a go, but need info

Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decided to give it a go, but need info

Hello,

My husband and I have decided to give Canada a go, and try to move over there.

There is just one thing I want to find out before we go any further.

My youngest has a peanut allergy, and has to have an epipen. As many of you know here in the UK and europe if a food has certain food types in it it must be noted with a warning. Is it like this in Canada. Also, does anyone know if the health insurance in Canada will cover my son for this.

If the canadian food doesnt carry this warning and the health insurance wont cover my sons allergy, then we may need to re-think things.

Im sorry if this is the wrong board to post this on but I get a bit lost on here sometimes and am still trying to find my way.

Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decided to give it a go, but need info

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Hello,

My husband and I have decided to give Canada a go, and try to move over there.

There is just one thing I want to find out before we go any further.

My youngest has a peanut allergy, and has to have an epipen. As many of you know here in the UK and europe if a food has certain food types in it it must be noted with a warning. Is it like this in Canada. Also, does anyone know if the health insurance in Canada will cover my son for this.

If the canadian food doesnt carry this warning and the health insurance wont cover my sons allergy, then we may need to re-think things.

Im sorry if this is the wrong board to post this on but I get a bit lost on here sometimes and am still trying to find my way.

Jackie
I can't really offer a huge contribution to your question other than to say my very good friend has the same allergy out there and doesn't have an issue with buying food. Not sure how the labelling is as i never pay attention to it.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Thank you el richo for taking the time to reply.

Does your friend have cover with the medical insurance for the peanut allergy?

jackie
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you el richo for taking the time to reply.

Does your friend have cover with the medical insurance for the peanut allergy?

jackie
I'm not too sure on that one but i can certainly find out, unless somebody on here beats me to the answer.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi again el richo,

That would be fantastic if you could find that out if its not too much trouble.

Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:31 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

This government site & the links on it might help:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit...achide-eng.php

Not sure if the medical cover differs by province, so might be worth checking the sites for the province / provinces you are looking at.

My only personal experience was in the 1990's at a guide camp & the organisers were aware of it then -in that no peanut substances were allowed at the camp, regardless of whether the girls were known to have allergies, just in case.

Bali
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW when my little boy went to daycare and school in Toronto a couple of years ago there was a strict no peanut policy and one of the kids in his SK class had an epipen.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Will definetly be reading more up on this.
Its good to know that the Canadian schools do take the same approach to peanuts as the schools here in the Uk do.

Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Two little girls at my daughter's school have peanut allergies. There is a no-peanut ban at all schools and pre-schools around here.

Even birthday parties here are peanut free incase one of these girls attend. Food packaging clearly states whether it is peanut free or not, and there is quite a lot of choice of non-peanutty food here - so the kids have lots of choice to take to school.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:14 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I think you should be fine with the coverage as it's not like the States where you get cruelly stung for pre existing conditions. I have a student in my class who carries an epi pen and the studio is a peanut free space at all times. Schools (but all vary) will often ban peanuts if and when a student has an allergy so it can be difficult for that individual. My friend's little boy said, 'It's great, Lewis is leaving so we can have peanut butter and jelly again'. I felt so bad for little Lewis!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:18 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The peanut allergy situation is continually under scrutiny in Canada and most, if no all, school boards are on top of it. If someone requires medical treatment as a result of the allergy it is covered by our health systems.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:47 pm
Beep

Hi again el richo,

That would be fantastic if you could find that out if its not too much trouble.

Jackie
Ok, so he says that his health coverage subsidises his epi-pen and any issues arising from an attack is covered by Canadian healthcare.

So by the sounds of it, and reading through the others posting here you'll have no issues at all.

I also see Air Canada are going to be nut free soon (or may already be).
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

This is great news about the health insurance covering the peanut allergy.

Thank you for finding this out.

Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,
I have found Canada to be very allergy friendly and very respectful of a person's allergies. I have some mild food allergies and it is no problem when I go out for a meal and ask for something to be left out. People are very aware of the problems of severe allergies leading to anaphylaxis and that people need epipens for this.

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:41 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Two little girls at my daughter's school have peanut allergies. There is a no-peanut ban at all schools and pre-schools around here.

Even birthday parties here are peanut free incase one of these girls attend. Food packaging clearly states whether it is peanut free or not, and there is quite a lot of choice of non-peanutty food here - so the kids have lots of choice to take to school.

Good luck.
Read that back to yourself Amy and you'll see why I would think that was a VERY dangerous for those girls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.