Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Very detailed answer - thanks!

So far it seems the two choices for ISP are Teksavvy and Shaw

I had a quick look at voip.ms - what advantages do they have over Skype (who I imagined I would have to pay a subscription to in order to call landlines and mobiles in the UK without getting completely ripped off) for example?

Do you simply pay a monthly subscription and then make calls as usual but they are automatically routed through the internet (as VOIP) by their equipment? Or have I got it wrong?
It's just like using a normal phone - you can call anywhere - Shaw Digital Phone is an implementation of VoIP that is run over Shaw's private network, separate from the Internet.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
It's just like using a normal phone - you can call anywhere - Shaw Digital Phone is an implementation of VoIP that is run over Shaw's private network, separate from the Internet.
But doesnt it depend on the person receiving the call having/using some sort of VOIP application too (like Skype)?

Or does it work with normal landlines/mobiles too?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

But doesnt it depend on the person receiving the call having/using some sort of VOIP application too (like Skype)?

It's called digital but it works like a regular land line. I never suspected it was anything computer related.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

With both voip.ms and Skype, you can buy phone numbers for incoming calls (I think it's called "SkypeIn" with Skype, but I only use the free offering with Skype)

The cool thing with voip.ms is that you can buy numbers in different countries - so you could buy a UK landline number that friends/family could call (or, indeed, for any other country) - for peanuts. It does involve a bit of grunt work on your part to set stuff up, and not everyone wants to do that (or feels confident about it).

If you just want a hassle-free solution that's cheaper than the regular phone companies, a company like Vonage or similar is probably your best bet.

If you don't mind learning a little bit about how it all works, it's worth checking out voip.ms - but it's not everyone's idea of a good time
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
With both voip.ms and Skype, you can buy phone numbers for incoming calls (I think it's called "SkypeIn" with Skype, but I only use the free offering with Skype)

The cool thing with voip.ms is that you can buy numbers in different countries - so you could buy a UK landline number that friends/family could call (or, indeed, for any other country) - for peanuts. It does involve a bit of grunt work on your part to set stuff up, and not everyone wants to do that (or feels confident about it).

If you just want a hassle-free solution that's cheaper than the regular phone companies, a company like Vonage or similar is probably your best bet.

If you don't mind learning a little bit about how it all works, it's worth checking out voip.ms - but it's not everyone's idea of a good time
Interesting........

I will be investigating this further, the geeky side of me doesnt mind a bit of grunt work

Cheers