Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Good point, I dont want/need a phone line either, broadband and mobiles will suffice, so is it possible to get a fibre hook up for DSL only?
If there's fibre to the property they'll sell you DSL only. But, few properties have fibre and it's likely the same price as if there was also a phone.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
If there's fibre to the property they'll sell you DSL only. But, few properties have fibre and it's likely the same price as if there was also a phone.
As I mentioned in a previous reply in this thread, we have ADSL only, via phone lines, from BellAliant. Still pretty pricey compared to UK prices, but it is just ADSL with no other services.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TS00
As I mentioned in a previous reply in this thread, we have ADSL only, via phone lines, from BellAliant. Still pretty pricey compared to UK prices, but it is just ADSL with no other services.
We had that from Bell at our last house. The slowest option. iirc it started at <$50/month but crept up to $65 or so over the two years we had it.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

We have just ADSL from BellAliant, no phone line.
(it is ridiculously expensive compared to UK ADSL, but that's another story).
Can I ask what speeds? Download limits? What sort of cash?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

You don't want to know. You really don't. Just accept that it's awful.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I'll tell you. But don't be sad.

We got a 7Mb down/400kb up package, unlimited (with FUP), for a bargain promo price of $50pcm. Usual price is supposedly $70.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
It's called a dry loop DSL

You can get also data add-ons for internet, which you can use if you have a lap top - or get a mobile internet stick (like this one from Rogers) - have a look at bestbuy for different ones available.

I have considered those but more as a stop gap (not really ideal for several devices unless you get a MIFI router or similar), long term I think I would like to have proper cable internet
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bell offer fibre optic in some locations. They're a phone company so they don't offer cable, you need a TV company for that.
So if fibre isnt available then youre limited to broadband via the phone line (same as the UK really)?

When I say "cable", I`m talking about non fibre optic but regular broadband delivered via the phoneline (cable)

I`m not interested in TV
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So if fibre isnt available then youre limited to broadband via the phone line (same as the UK really)?

When I say "cable", I`m talking about non fibre optic but regular broadband delivered via the phoneline (cable)

I`m not interested in TV
Internet is available via the TV cable or the telephone line. "Cable" is generally used here to mean TV cable. ADSL is used to mean via telephone line. Rogers and Shaw sell service via (TV) cable, Bell via telephone line.

Television cable is available in most urban areas.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Pro...mited-Internet

Do bear in mind that for cable (Bell is satellite and dsl line) who your provider will be is directly related to your address. Most of the cable companies have a designated area that they will provide services to, to the extent you can be on the same street but across from a main intersection and have a different provider servicing each (but not both).

Ive had a look at the Bell link you posted and cant find any hard wired internet options, only wireless 4G SIM based - am I being daft/blind?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

True, but fibre right to the property would no doubt offer faster speeds
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

So are you saying that despite the fact that you obviously are connected via a telephone line (as opposed to a fibre cable) you are only charged for broadband and nothing else (line rental etc like in the UK)?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

We had that from Bell at our last house. The slowest option. iirc it started at <$50/month but crept up to $65 or so over the two years we had it.
What sort of speeds were you seeing?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

You don't want to know. You really don't. Just accept that it's awful.
So was it bad speeds, low download limits, expensive or all of the above?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, I'll tell you. But don't be sad.

We got a 7Mb down/400kb up package, unlimited (with FUP), for a bargain promo price of $50pcm. Usual price is supposedly $70.
How did you find the actual service? Did you see a consistent 7Mb as advertised? If so I`d be ok with that, particularly as its unlimited and $50/month is better than most of the packages Ive looked at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.