Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Customs duty on personal items sent to Canada from UK...

Customs duty on personal items sent to Canada from UK...

Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold
Default Customs duty on personal items sent to Canada from UK...

I have an issue with customs duties that I was hoping someone here had experience with.

I'm a Canadian work permit holder (through my husband's job) and his company is currently getting us permanent residency, which will take another year. We moved here just over two years ago with the intention of staying about 3 years and then moving on. We're going to be here longer now, as we have a baby now and his job wants him to stay, so I decided to move some goods from a storage unit over from the UK. Apparently, that was a huge mistake!

I just got delivery notices and called Canada Post to find out why they weren't delivered to me. Customs wants me to pay hundreds of dollars in duty (not sure exact amount, as the woman on the phone kept rattling off the duty per box... $80, $30, $50... I told her to stop, because I was going to cry!). I filled out the customs form on the Royal Mail end, saying they were personal items, which I thought were exempt from duty. The boxes consist of used books I've had for years, a few pots and pans and some photo albums. At this point, I honestly can't remember what else in in there, but they have little value. The duty is probably more than what I could sell them for, as is the cost I spent to ship them.

I read that, as a WP holder, I could import personal items as long as they were used by me prior to arriving in Canada, a Canadian resident wasn't going to use them, I wasn't going to sell them, and they'd leave Canada with me when I left. All are true.

When I called customs to clarify the rules, I was told that when I moved to Canada on a WP, I had to declare these items would be following me. This was two years ago, how was I to know this?!?!? I declared other items that were shipped when we moved, but not items that I didn't think would ever come to Canada. The answer I got form her was basically, "too bad".

This seems absurd! I've paid duty before on new items that I bought and were shipped here, which I understand, but USED ITEMS?!?!? Did they calculate the price on every single book I had in those boxes?

Any advice?

EDIT: I just found this on the government's site, so I'm even more confused:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods.asp

Last edited by BritainNewfoundland; Apr 4th 2014 at 7:03 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs duty on personal items sent to Canada from UK...

Unfortunately, because you didn't list the items on your goods-to-follow list they are not exempt from duty. You are required to tell them if there are still items to come (which is why you are recommended to list anything you 'might' import at a later date) - then they leave your goods to follow list open until such time as you have completed importing your personal effects.

It's all in the wiki and on the CBSA website and it's unfortunate that you didn't check the regulations prior to sending for more of your belongings.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5082-eng.html

I don't know if it is possible to do another 'goods-to-follow' list on the basis that you will become a settler http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...et/10-eng.html

Hopefully, Former Lancastrian can give you some advice on this.

Edited to say, I just read that you have up to 3 years from when you arrive on a TWP to submit a goods-to-follow list, so if you didn't originally, you may be able to do one now and make sure everything is on it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 4th 2014 at 7:08 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold

I said there were goods to follow when we moved here and got some type of form. I have no clue where it would be now, though, but I may still have it. Would that be valid?

Yes, it's very unfortunate, but I had no clue we'd be staying here. I knew that the items were exempt from duty, so I didn't think twice about sending them.

I have a form that lists I have boxes containing "personal household items" to follow, which I obtained when I entered Canada on my WP. There's nothing specific saying dates shipment will arrive.

It's the "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT (Settler, Former Resident, Seasonal Resident, or Beneficiary)" form.

Is this what I need?

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 4th 2014 at 7:25 pm. Reason: I merged your posts for you - if you need to add anything, you can do so by clicking 'edit' within 2 hours of posting :)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritainNewfoundland
I have a form that lists I have boxes containing "personal household items" to follow, which I obtained when I entered Canada on my WP. There's nothing specific saying dates shipment will arrive.

It's the "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENT (Settler, Former Resident, Seasonal Resident, or Beneficiary)" form.

Is this what I need?
As long as it hasn't been signed off as complete (i.e. everything has been imported) then yes that is the form you need. There is no time limit on importing provided the list is still 'open'. You would need to send a copy of that to Canada Post and quote the tariff code for settlers goods, I believe, in order for them not to have duty/taxes on them (but I am not sure how you do this).

Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your help! That's fantastic news!

I think I need to pay the duty on it, collect the boxes and then go through customs to get a refund.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritainNewfoundland
Thank you so much for your help! That's fantastic news!

I think I need to pay the duty on it, collect the boxes and then go through customs to get a refund.
Something similar happened to us, although some time ago. We had to clear the goods with customs first, they then contacted Canada Post, who then delivered to the parcels to us. There is no need to pay.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

My dad sent a load of my personal stuff to me via DHL I think it was. Anyways, because my dad had told them it was my personal stuff all DHL did was ask for a copy of my work permit to show that I was here on a temp basis.

Suppose I got a lucky break or something huh?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Post will have affixed Customs Form E14 on the packages. On the E14 is a box stating Return to CBSA appeal. Make sure your contact phone number is written on the E14. Customs should then contact you regarding the shipment. thats when you tell them your situation and fax them any applicable documents.
Make sure Canada Post sends the boxes back to CBSA and not the sender.

See appendix A of this link to see what the E14 looks like
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#_a14
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^_____ There's the best advice.

Nothing further to add apart from Hello poster from Newfoundland from another poster in Newfoundland.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
^^^^_____ There's the best advice.

Nothing further to add apart from Hello poster from Newfoundland from another poster in Newfoundland.
Hi! I'm also in St. John's.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I appreciate it.