Reload this Page >

Vet Nurse Moving to Alberta

Vet Nurse Moving to Alberta

Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Phil_Jude will become famous soon enough
Default Vet Nurse Moving to Alberta

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any information about moving to Alberta and getting a job as an Animal Health Technician. I have qualified in Vet Nursing in Ireland and am currently working in the UK. What do I need to do in order to register over there? I have already contacted the local Veterinary Association in Edmonton and they just told me I had to be qualified through an Alberta College or have Canadian qualification. Not very helpful!! Is it possible to register from the UK? I did manage to speak to a veterinary practice over there and they said you need to do a top up course but am unable to find any details of these courses. I know I need to sit a VTNE exam when I go over but how can I if I am not registered with any colleges? Sorry for all the questions but I am really frustrated with the lack of information on the internet. Please help!!

My boyfriend is a welder and is moving there shortly and I would like to follow as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Jude

Last edited by Phil_Jude; Apr 4th 2014 at 11:03 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vet Nurse Moving to Alberta

Originally Posted by Phil_Jude
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any information about moving to Alberta and getting a job as an Animal Health Technician. I have qualified in Vet Nursing in Ireland and am currently working in the UK. What do I need to do in order to register over there? I have already contacted the local Veterinary Association in Edmonton and they just told me I had to be qualified through an Alberta College or have Canadian qualification. Not very helpful!! Is it possible to register from the UK? I did manage to speak to a veterinary practice over there and they said you need to do a top up course but am unable to find any details of these courses. I know I need to sit a VTNE exam when I go over but how can I if I am not registered with any colleges? Sorry for all the questions but I am really frustrated with the lack of information on the internet. Please help!!

My boyfriend is a welder and is moving there shortly and I would like to follow as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Jude
Hi and welcome to BE.

You will find this website helpful: http://www.abvma.ca/content/36/Regis...thTechnologist

This is for non-accredited qualifications: http://cms.abvma.ca/uploads/AHTPolic...credSchool.pdf

You will need to get your qualifications evaluated - details in the pdf.

Small question - how are you intending on getting a work permit?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. My boyfriend has been offered permanent work in Oil Sands in Alberta by the PNP. I would go on as a dependent. This is in process at the moment.

I know this won't guarantee me work over there but I am willing to work anywhere animal related.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. My boyfriend has been offered permanent work in Oil Sands in Alberta by the PNP. I would go on as a dependent. This is in process at the moment.

I know this won't guarantee me work over there but I am willing to work anywhere animal related.
To be classed as a dependant you will need to have been in a common-law relationship (having lived together for a minimum of 12 continuous months) and to be able to get a spousal open work permit he would need to be employed in a skilled position or else come under the Alberta TFW pilot program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for the information. Luckily we qualify for all the above as we have been together for 10 years and living together for 9 and a half years. He is a skilled tradesman and has been offered permanent job. He has worked there before and has all the necessary alberta qualifications for his welding job. He is travelling over within the next two months and the paperwork is in for the Provincial Nominee Programme.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:51 am
Banned

Thanks again for the information. Luckily we qualify for all the above as we have been together for 10 years and living together for 9 and a half years. He is a skilled tradesman and has been offered permanent job. He has worked there before and has all the necessary alberta qualifications for his welding job. He is travelling over within the next two months and the paperwork is in for the Provincial Nominee Programme.
Excellent news!

Hope you manage to secure your certification as well.

Best of luck with the move!