Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Curious escapee from NZ forum!

Curious escapee from NZ forum!

Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:14 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curious escapee from NZ forum!

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Whatever. Amenities are not what keeps them here. It's jobs. Interesting jobs. Opportunities. The big city offers that, plus the ability to experiment without everyone in your marry-your-cousin town knowing what you got up to. Etc.
My response was to what you listed as amenities and that those things are found in every small town in the country and I am sure virtually all other western countries. If you like the city then stay in the city. Pretty simple.
You're right. The average cdn kid is a like a 1950's teen.
I would say a cross between the 1970's and the 21st century
They go to dances with fruit punch.
Kiwi flavored fruit punch.
They study all the time.
Well, video games and the internet do cut into study time.
They play good wholesome sports
4 seasons worth
and go on mixed-gender treks in the wilderness, holding hands
after pumping animals full of lead, we would bang like rabbits by the lake.
Church on sundays.
nah, too many old people.
And there's always the Sears catalogue for shopping!
Having stuff delivered to my door without setting foot and wasting a day in an overcrowded mall is my idea of good shopping.

Seriously?
Bad day huh? I defy you not to crack a smile.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Jul 21st 2009 at 4:20 am. Reason: I have more photo's for sale, just ask me.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

This is a lame argument. I don't know where you're from, and maybe that's true for where you are, but I"m not seeing those amenities in 'every small town' which is why I mentioned it. I've seen small towns that are basically a trailer park and a gas station and then nothing for miles and others that might have a school too but not much else.

and I did smile a tiny bit. *sniffs haughtily*
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:39 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

This is a lame argument. I don't know where you're from, and maybe that's true for where you are, but I"m not seeing those amenities in 'every small town' which is why I mentioned it. I've seen small towns that are basically a trailer park and a gas station and then nothing for miles and others that might have a school too but not much else.

and I did smile a tiny bit. *sniffs haughtily*
I move quite frequently with my employer. In the last 5 years I have lived in 3 towns all with less than 10k people in 3 different provinces in an area of Canada with probably the least economic opportunity. In each of these places there were many schools, at least one public library, a community center/sports complex with pool, track, rink, gym, etc and many other private facilities and lots of the wilderness a stones throw away. Maybe you and I are using the term "small town" in a different capacity because what you described as "a trailer park and a gas station" doesn't seem to be the same thing I am describing. You seem to be talking about a campground or a tiny mountain village.

Once again this is what i was responding to

I'm in Whitehorse in the moment. By Cdn standards this town has a lot of amenities. It has a bus service, pool, schools, library, pubs, restaurants, theatre, etc. etc. and is only 20,000 people. Wilderness galore. However it's a flight to anywhere reasonably large.
My response is that any town with more than a few thousand people is going to have the things you listed. It is a supply/demand thing. If not, then tell me those places so I can set up a bar/restaurant there. oh and picking up an inexpensive car will certainly improve your freedom of movement.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:57 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Vancouver reminds me of Auckland, what say you?
Yes i'd agree with that. Apart from the scary Maori's i met.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I move quite frequently with my employer. In the last 5 years I have lived in 3 towns all with less than 10k people in 3 different provinces in an area of Canada with probably the least economic opportunity. In each of these places there were many schools, at least one public library, a community center/sports complex with pool, track, rink, gym, etc and many other private facilities and lots of the wilderness a stones throw away. Maybe you and I are using the term "small town" in a different capacity because what you described as "a trailer park and a gas station" doesn't seem to be the same thing I am describing. You seem to be talking about a campground or a tiny mountain village.

Once again this is what i was responding to

My response is that any town with more than a few thousand people is going to have the things you listed. It is a supply/demand thing. If not, then tell me those places so I can set up a bar/restaurant there. oh and picking up an inexpensive car will certainly improve your freedom of movement.
I think it's a word usage thing. A medium-sized town will have that stuff for sure. But again, going back to what the OP was looking for; a lot of medium sized towns are quite distant from one another and there's not great public transit to get you to more populated areas/bigger cities. It is what it is. *shrug*
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Yes i'd agree with that. Apart from the scary Maori's i met.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dazandgen
My sister in law was glad to hear it - she was feeling really billy no mates!

LOL! "billy no mates" Ah man, I haven't heard that expression in eons, haha. I'm glad she felt cameraderie in my own "billy no mateship" LOL.

Originally Posted by dazandgen
I have picked up on that from a number of different things I've read and people I've spoken to. Not that they've come across rudeness or being ignored etc but that it has proven really hard to make close friends.

It does worry me as I have a small (but perfectly formed!) support network here with my girls....I'm hoping that it won't be too hard overseas! I haven't picked up from what I've read about young mums etc finding it as hard in Canada (but it's hard to comment when it's so general and subjective I guess).

We've got a good couple of years yet here, enough time for me to work on the OH to persuade him to move to Canada rather than NZ! All the best with your move

Thanks sweets! I'm looking forward to it.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I literally have a relative in England who thinks this is what living in Canada is really like!

HAHA!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
I'm in Whitehorse in the moment. By Cdn standards this town has a lot of amenities. It has a bus service, pool, schools, library, pubs, restaurants, theatre, etc. etc. and is only 20,000 people. Wilderness galore. However it's a flight to anywhere reasonably large.

Whitehorse? That's stuck out in the wop wops of the Yukon isn't it?

I didn't think there was much doin in the Yukon except lots of snow and maybe dog sleddin....