Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural boredom in Canada

Cultural boredom in Canada

Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural boredom in Canada

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Let's be honest though, back in the UK there are folks that make fun of ethnic minorities accent too, on TV and for comic relief
Ricky Gervais is the only guy who can pull if off properly these days!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Also what is cultural boredom.

Is it the fact that life here is a slower pace than London UK or just that the OP just dont get on with people who are not totally on his wave length.

Just dont get the cultural boredom shite at all.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
More of a Sainsburys man to be honest.

It's funny how it's assumed that if I buy alcohol from the supermarket or corner shop, I'm going to be causing carnage on the streets of Toronto. I'm just thinking of the convenience and cost rather than anything else, not necessarily chucking 10 pints down my neck (that was 10 years ago).

But my argument goes beyond having more access to alcohol here. I don't even drink that much these days. Perhaps my argument is centered around Toronto rather than Canada as a whole, but the people I've met from other parts of Canada haven't exactly inspired me to go elsewhere, especially since 90% have told me they prefer Toronto. I've just found the majority of Canadians to be very one dimensional and don't have a great deal to offer in terms of personality, which makes it hard when you're trying to make friends with people here and not be just another traveller who sticks to the travelling crowd. When I ask a Canadian "How are you? How's it going?" and the programmed response which I get all the time is "I'm good, how are you?" with no further room for conversation, it gets frustrating.

Even worse when I ask "How's tricks?" - don't even bother with this one.
Sainsburys is the best supermarket chain in the world. The mere discussion of it in the same thread as Toronto sends a shudder down my spine.

Alcohol in Supermarkets here would be a fine idea. Just preying that the inbreds around me bring back the Conservatives later this year so the dream becomes a reality.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It doesn't really matter where you go. There will be virtually no difference in price. The thing to avoid is 12-packs. Retailers seem to get away with charging almost the same price as for a 24.
The thing is I'll be at a dep at about 20h00 (hows that for getting in with the locals in terms of the time of day) on a Sunday...would a supermarket in Aylmer be open then...I've found that my beer of choice (St Ambroise Pale Ale) is usually $11.99/12 pack at the dep I linked....I seem to recall that 6 packs only were at the supermarkets and it was not cost effective there....if it is just beer you want then usually Costco is the best bet especially when you get to the 55 packs.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
I've got two Canadian friends, which isn't as many as I'd hoped when I first came here last September, and they only have personalities because they've either lived in the UK or Ireland or have British and Irish friends, so the sense of humour has rubbed off on them, thankfully.
So based on this a period of time living or having lived in the UK or Ireland is all that is required to have a personality...interesting.

Have fun back in 'cultured' britain.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:42 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Also what is cultural boredom.

Is it the fact that life here is a slower pace than London UK or just that the OP just dont get on with people who are not totally on his wave length.

Just dont get the cultural boredom shite at all.
I think for cultural boredom read "general unhappiness with where we live in Canada", which is what this thread is actually all about, isn't it?
There is no such thing as cultural boredom, just a failure to engage with the local culture. There is a culture in Canada and whatever people say about it, there is History and cultural heritage, just not like the UK. There is a lot to discover about the native cultures if you so wish and also lots of interesting more recent history. OK, you don't see a castle or ancient cottage or church round every bend in the Highway and the graveyards do not have gravestones that are hundreds of years old, but that doesn't mean there is no culture.
As for the complacency of the Canadians, well, we are very complacent indeed about the UK's cultural heritage. It is easy to be proud of a lot of what we have in the UK in historical terms (although not everything in British history is something to be proud of by and means, but Brits tend to miss out those parts), bun't make that, we have just inherited it. Maybe we should take a moment to consider what current and future UK culture will look like through the lens of history. There may not be much about this century for Brits to be proud of.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You'll need to excuse Auld Yin, he's the resident grump. Anyone who criticises Canada is told to not let the door hit them on the way out.

This is not really true. I am quite aware of Canada's shortcomings but when someone continually whines/complains/moans then it's time to tell them to FO back to where they came from.
It's a moot point here as he says he leaving in a month so he's doing himself and Canada a big favour.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I want to buy booze at the supermarket like in a civilized country.
Originally Posted by Souvy
Smiles smugly.
I'm not so sure it's being able to get it in a supermarket as the half price aspect. 12s cost about the same here as 24s in Quebec.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
This is not really true. I am quite aware of Canada's shortcomings but when someone continually whines/complains/moans then it's time to tell them to FO back to where they came from.
It's a moot point here as he says he leaving in a month so he's doing himself and Canada a big favour.
Continually? He's got less than 30 posts
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:01 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

And also the fact that the OP is a Canadian.... from Canada.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:05 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Ah....the ol go back to where you come from line eh, never runs dry does it?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How, I may ask, is he "doing Canada a big favour"? What does that mean?

There are an awful lot of people here who are making major decisions to uproot their lives and "make their dreams come true" by moving to Canada. What's wrong with fresh posters providing honest opinions to these, and other people? Who are you to tell him to leave?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not so sure it's being able to get it in a supermarket as the half price aspect. 12s cost about the same here as 24s in Quebec.
Price and convenience. I don't want to make a separate trip to an offy just for 24 bottles of some every day beer. No, I have to go into a special government shop, or a proxy thereof. It makes no sense at all when you think about it - we don't live in north korea.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:10 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How, I may ask, is he "doing Canada a big favour"? What does that mean?

There are an awful lot of people here who are making major decisions to uproot their lives and "make their dreams come true" by moving to Canada. What's wrong with fresh posters providing honest opinions to these, and other people? Who are you to tell him to leave?
Perhaps this is the answer ?

Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:14 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Perhaps this is the answer ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y3T_xczFl5A
Unfortunately I can't see Youtube videos, so I'm none the wiser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.