Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural boredom in Canada

Cultural boredom in Canada

Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:44 am
Just Joined

canabrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cultural boredom in Canada

I'm from Canada and my husband is English. We met in London (I'd already been in England for about 3 years) and lived there about 6 years together before moving to Canada at the end of 2008. I loved living in England, but London was getting too difficult for us (thinking of starting a family) and we thought we should try living in both countries before deciding on where to settle. Since moving here, I've basically been apologising to my husband constantly - I've felt responsible for rude Canadians who insist on mocking his English accent (this from people who speak through their noses), and seem to hold him responsible for all historial British colonialism (strange, when his people were the ones minding their own business in England, just trying to get by as serfs...). I've also been shocked by how difficult it has been for either of us to be employed in our fields, though both of us have high levels of education and experience. It seems to be all about networking - it's who you know, not what you know, and we don't have very good nepotism contacts.

At this point - after nearly 3 years here (sigh), we're dreaming about going back to the UK to where we both get along with people better and where we won't be so culturally bored. We want far away from the smug Canadians, who insist that everything is better here (remember - I'm Canadian!). Problem is, though our jobs here aren't that good, at least they're better than we could probably get in the UK now! The recession and the Tory/Lib-Dem cuts are making us think we should stay put in Canada for now. At least when there's nowhere to go for fun, there's very little to spend our money on, so we're saving lots of money here! We're trying to be positive and enjoy the good things about life in Canada (we know there are many things we'll miss, and nowhere is perfect) but life's too short to waste it in places you don't want to be, and Canada just doesn't seem to be the right fit for us. Of maybe we're not the right people for it (in spite of my passport!). Anyone else in a similar boat?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:54 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural boredom in Canada

I have never met any Canadian who has mocked my accent..in fact my son's friends think im cool cus i have a 'hardcore' British accent whatever that means but ill take it as a compliment.

I dont even know what historical British colonialism is? let alone be held responsible for it..im pretty sure most Canadians wouldnt know either

Finding a job in my field wasnt difficult in fact i found a more senior role than i had in the UK relatively easily.

Seems a bit strange that you moan that you cant get good jobs here..but then state the jobs you could get in the UK would be worse. My point is and i think its true..if your good at your job and you are successful at it..you can be successful wherever you are...its you thats makes you successful not the place or the country you live in.

However i do agree with you that i also prefer the British way of life and the UK in general for things to do and have fun and the people you meet are more interesting..but thats just me.

Canada is great for some people not so much for others and that goes for everywhere else in the world.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:04 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn, well at least you never banged on about the price of cheese.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that i have encountered the accent crap on a regular basis. Bit of a two edged sword really as I suspect one of the reasons I actually got my job was because its a good image for my employer to project , having a "proper british accent" answering the phone

( joke is on them really , I have a reasonably srong brummie accent !!!)

But i do encounter my colleagues trying to mimic what they consider to be a " posh british accent" when talking to me

I once asked them if they would do the same to a colleague from India and if not why did they think I should put up with this crap?
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canabrit
I'm from Canada and my husband is English. We met in London (I'd already been in England for about 3 years) and lived there about 6 years together before moving to Canada at the end of 2008. I loved living in England, but London was getting too difficult for us (thinking of starting a family) and we thought we should try living in both countries before deciding on where to settle. Since moving here, I've basically been apologising to my husband constantly - I've felt responsible for rude Canadians who insist on mocking his English accent (this from people who speak through their noses), and seem to hold him responsible for all historial British colonialism (strange, when his people were the ones minding their own business in England, just trying to get by as serfs...). I've also been shocked by how difficult it has been for either of us to be employed in our fields, though both of us have high levels of education and experience. It seems to be all about networking - it's who you know, not what you know, and we don't have very good nepotism contacts.

At this point - after nearly 3 years here (sigh), we're dreaming about going back to the UK to where we both get along with people better and where we won't be so culturally bored. We want far away from the smug Canadians, who insist that everything is better here (remember - I'm Canadian!). Problem is, though our jobs here aren't that good, at least they're better than we could probably get in the UK now! The recession and the Tory/Lib-Dem cuts are making us think we should stay put in Canada for now. At least when there's nowhere to go for fun, there's very little to spend our money on, so we're saving lots of money here! We're trying to be positive and enjoy the good things about life in Canada (we know there are many things we'll miss, and nowhere is perfect) but life's too short to waste it in places you don't want to be, and Canada just doesn't seem to be the right fit for us. Of maybe we're not the right people for it (in spite of my passport!). Anyone else in a similar boat?
You might just need to relocate in Canada? Where are you?
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

I've had some light piss-taking over the accent (in a fun way) and I'm sure they wouldn't do it if I was a visible minority but I don't mind at all. I'm just a bit of a novelty. I take the piss out of them for doing such a terrible job of mimicking it.

On a separate note I've found the price of cheese here extortionate! Etc.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I once asked them if they would do the same to a colleague from India and if not why did they think I should put up with this crap?
I've said word-for-word the same thing.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I must admit that i have encountered the accent crap on a regular basis. Bit of a two edged sword really as I suspect one of the reasons I actually got my job was because its a good image for my employer to project , having a "proper british accent" answering the phone

( joke is on them really , I have a reasonably srong brummie accent !!!)

But i do encounter my colleagues trying to mimic what they consider to be a " posh british accent" when talking to me

I absolutely got my first job because of my refined RP tones. Plus my experience, skills, devilishly handsome good looks of course, but my boss - a lady - would often be listening to how I was speaking not what I was saying. Still, play to your strengths and all that.

Personally, I find a world weary expression and muttered comments about 'Damn Colonials' work when someone is taking the piss of your jolly old accent. Of course that would work for a Brummie.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:31 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you in that, after 4 years in Canada, I find it a very boring place. Many people will argue and say that there are lots of things to do - they're absolutely correct, however it is possible to be both active and boring simultaneously. I dislike the uber-organized feel of most activities, and whilst there is a lot to do throughout the year, things in Canada rarely change year-on-year. Even some TV adverts are the same ones as 4 years ago. Canadians seem to love their seasonal routines.

However, in the interests of fairness and balance, I've got to say I've not met so many rude Canadians that I'd say it was an issue - most are unfailingly polite, even if insincere - and I'm not aware of any Brits being mocked for their accents, or British colonial history. And if your husband is incapable of instantly making his Canadian taunters feel like the proverbial country bumpkins and peasants, then shame on him - he deserves any mocking he gets!

London is a wonderful city, one of the world's top 2 or 3 cities. If you love London, and it sounds like you only felt it necessary to move because of a potential family... it's very hard for anywhere to live up to London. Nowhere in Canada can compare, and it will all feel terribly provincial in comparison.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get 0 posts and have at least 1 post? I need answers.
Attached Thumbnails Cultural boredom in Canada-0post.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
How do you get 0 posts and have at least 1 post? I need answers.
You noticed that too.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You might just need to relocate in Canada? Where are you?
I'm wondering that too, sounds like a frenchy part if they're making fun of the husband's English roots.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I absolutely got my first job because of my refined RP tones. [COLOR="Red"]Plus my experience, skills, devilishly handsome good looks of course, but my boss - a lady [/COLOR
...you're not that guy which got the job at Nando's (on the TV advert by sucking her thumb)?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I may have posted this before and I can't claim to be the originator.

"I love your accent".
"I don't have an accent. This is what English sounds like when it's spoken properly. Yes, I'm being condescending. It means that I'm talking down to you".

Don't try it in a bar.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I'm wondering that too, sounds like a frenchy part if they're making fun of the husband's English roots.
I'd say so.

And really it's not hard to firmly put a jumped up cradle's hat back on either.......

I am almost tempted to call troll...........

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 4th 2011 at 4:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.