Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural boredom in Canada

Cultural boredom in Canada

Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural boredom in Canada

Originally Posted by Souvy
Smiles smugly.
I'll probably be here on Sunday (have a footie match nearby) to stock up (but not on the swill that seems to be on offer)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gatine...267.78,,1,8.35
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

NewLifeAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbiem
<hears whooshing noise>

I wouldn't mind if it was the neighbour's cat. Blooming cougars round here keep trying to eat the neighbour's kids. Bah.

Blimey, if you could buy booze at the supermarket here it would be as bad as the UK - cheap supermarket beer has been the downfall of the mother country for sure - you can't buy a pint at a decent pub anymore because they've all been forced to close. Blardy cheapskate supermarket shoppers. Yes, I'm talking to you, Mr Cultural Boredom. Nowt more cultured than a city lad clearing the shelves of special offer Special Brew in Asda of a friday night about eleven... or are you more of a Tesco Metro man? Blee.
More of a Sainsburys man to be honest.

It's funny how it's assumed that if I buy alcohol from the supermarket or corner shop, I'm going to be causing carnage on the streets of Toronto. I'm just thinking of the convenience and cost rather than anything else, not necessarily chucking 10 pints down my neck (that was 10 years ago).

But my argument goes beyond having more access to alcohol here. I don't even drink that much these days. Perhaps my argument is centered around Toronto rather than Canada as a whole, but the people I've met from other parts of Canada haven't exactly inspired me to go elsewhere, especially since 90% have told me they prefer Toronto. I've just found the majority of Canadians to be very one dimensional and don't have a great deal to offer in terms of personality, which makes it hard when you're trying to make friends with people here and not be just another traveller who sticks to the travelling crowd. When I ask a Canadian "How are you? How's it going?" and the programmed response which I get all the time is "I'm good, how are you?" with no further room for conversation, it gets frustrating.

Even worse when I ask "How's tricks?" - don't even bother with this one.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:58 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
Yeah I found out fairly quickly that accusing my female friends of being prostitutes limited conversation options
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:04 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canabrit
I find it completely obnoxious to advertise BC as 'the best place on earth' - it's insulting to EVERY OTHER PLACE ON EARTH!
You are adding on something that isn't there.
I think my husband is the best husband in the world and have said so but that isn't insulting every other husband in the world, is it?
Being positive about your own situation isn't criticising everyone else's. They don't go round with,
"Everywhere else in the world is c*** except BC" on their cars, or I could accept you feeling insulted.
Criticism can be helpful if done in the right way, but there is a big difference between constructive criticism and being unnecessarily blunt, cruel and tactless. Just criticising on its own doesn't lead to any good change at all, that is a fallacy - it only leads to division, mistrust and bad feeling between people.
Why do you find people in Canada doing the things you describe "irritatingly complacent"? Their behaviour doesn't make any impact on you, it is their own choice and if they are happy, why should that irritate you?
You seem to have a problem with people loving where they live, enjoying what they have and being content.That is sad.
It is clear that you don't love it, but then perhaps, as you say, you just need to find somewhere that you do love and then you would be able to share this positivity in your own community. I hope you can find that place, wherever it is and be able to feel and say that you live in the best place on earth and be happy.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

More of a Sainsburys man to be honest.

It's funny how it's assumed that if I buy alcohol from the supermarket or corner shop, I'm going to be causing carnage on the streets of Toronto. I'm just thinking of the convenience and cost rather than anything else, not necessarily chucking 10 pints down my neck (that was 10 years ago).

But my argument goes beyond having more access to alcohol here. I don't even drink that much these days. Perhaps my argument is centered around Toronto rather than Canada as a whole, but the people I've met from other parts of Canada haven't exactly inspired me to go elsewhere, especially since 90% have told me they prefer Toronto. I've just found the majority of Canadians to be very one dimensional and don't have a great deal to offer in terms of personality, which makes it hard when you're trying to make friends with people here and not be just another traveller who sticks to the travelling crowd. When I ask a Canadian "How are you? How's it going?" and the programmed response which I get all the time is "I'm good, how are you?" with no further room for conversation, it gets frustrating.

You need to check the times/availability of flights to the UK. Obviously Canada is not the country for you.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:59 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
My accent is a daily subject of merriment in my office, with a couple of guys even renaming the Windows recycling bin on their laptops to 'The rubbish' but I tend to take it as a compliment really and I've found it much easier to make friends at work here than I did back in the UK.

Let's be honest though, back in the UK there are folks that make fun of ethnic minorities accent too, on TV and for comic relief
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

NewLifeAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
You need to check the times/availability of flights to the UK. Obviously Canada is not the country for you.
You said it. I'm leaving in a month. Hurrah!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

You said it. I'm leaving in a month. Hurrah!
You'll need to excuse Auld Yin, he's the resident grump. Anyone who criticises Canada is told to not let the door hit them on the way out.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone here who has never done a scouse, geordie, scot, brummie or london accent just for fun. I have and im sure most here have. Its just a bit o fun mind, not a disrespectfull act.

I like the fact that you cannot buy booze at the 7/11 ect. It stops the kids, tramps and general twats of the world buying single cans of booze each time they get a few dollars pan handling. I have yet to see any drunken underage yobs in Toronto hanging about outside 7/11 or beer stores. I did however see this behavour in the UK on a regular basis.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'll probably be here on Sunday (have a footie match nearby) to stock up (but not on the swill that seems to be on offer)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Gatine...267.78,,1,8.35
It doesn't really matter where you go. There will be virtually no difference in price. The thing to avoid is 12-packs. Retailers seem to get away with charging almost the same price as for a 24.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:37 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

But this has gone way beyond pointing out dislikes for a place and rather is focusing on Canadians themselves, suggesting they are bigoted and racist, which is laughable coming from Brits.

I personally don't get it. Maybe I've been here too long, but I don't see Brits and Canadians as that disimilar, beyond differences with sense of humor for instance. And as a whole, they are as flawed as the rest of us.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

a lot of people here seem to struggle to understand my (West Country-ish) accent. plus people find it difficult to place - i've been asked if i'm Irish or South African far more than asked if i'm English. not that those are bad things, it's all pretty funny... and no one's ever slagged it off - i've only ever heard positive things about it!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried "How's it hanging?"
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have you tried "How's it hanging?"
When we first arrived my OH asked if she could "bum a fag" in a bar. After a long silence, we explained the English meaning.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:13 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
When we first arrived my OH asked if she could "bum a fag" in a bar. After a long silence, we explained the English meaning.
Oooops! That's what I call a steep learning curve!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.