Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which credit card - RBC Westjet or BMO Airmiles?

Which credit card - RBC Westjet or BMO Airmiles?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which credit card - RBC Westjet or BMO Airmiles?

Newly arrived I have both the RBC Westjet card at $99 but included a free accompanying flight if I paid for one flight.

I also have the BMO Airmiles card, free card but for the first 6 months you get 4x the Airmiles.

I also have the BMO Sobeys Airmiles card, again it's free but you get double the points when shopping at Sobeys.

With lots of new items to purchase soon from kettle to snowblower and everything in between my cards are going to get used extensively. As flights in Canada are expensive my aim is to use them to obtain maximum points for flights, so which one would you think is the better to achieve this?

Note all cards will be paid of in full each month as I am a stickler for finances.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which credit card - RBC Westjet or BMO Airmiles?

Personally I would stick with the RBC WestJet card, unless you want to be able to use other airlines.

I use mine for work expenses (including flights), so the WestJet dollars add up quickly.

My boss does even better - he uses his card to pay the bills for construction crew hotels and his best month so far was $50,000 on his card
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:26 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the RBC Avion Infinite
Old Aug 9th 2017, 3:57 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Also the Amex Gold Rewards is currently doing a first year free. The membership reward points are transferable to a few different airlines and hotels so its quite flexible. 25k sign up bonus too.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 2:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Also the Amex Gold Rewards is currently doing a first year free. The membership reward points are transferable to a few different airlines and hotels so its quite flexible. 25k sign up bonus too.
Not everywhere accepts AMEX. I ditched mine a while back, they were so difficult to deal with when I have a dispute.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

RBC Avion Infinite or RBC British Airways if you plan on trips to UK
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

wetfeet is an unknown quantity at this point

Once or twice a year RBC Avion Infinite lets you exchange the points for BA points At 1.5 for one so e.g. you can get 75000 BA points for 50000 avian points.

RBC also have a BA card which gives a free companion fare after spending a certain amount.

I have been using the west jet card recently as it can save you quite a bit on long haul flights within North America e.g. Vancouver to St Johns where the companion fare was $99 in contrast to the full fare of $900-$1100
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by wetfeet
Once or twice a year RBC Avion Infinite lets you exchange the points for BA points At 1.5 for one so e.g. you can get 75000 BA points for 50000 avian points.
Have not seen that for a few years now.

Sure would help you fly though! Might ruffle a few feathers. Maybe send a Tweet on that one eh!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 12:01 am
Just Joined

wetfeet is an unknown quantity at this point

I last did an exchange last december and they had another offer expiring at the end of june.
They do not seem to advertise(or at least I have never been notified)
I check the RBC avion website about once per month and that is where I find out about these offers