Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Opening a UK bank account from Canada

Opening a UK bank account from Canada

Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134
Default Opening a UK bank account from Canada

I will soon be receiving a monthly payment from a pension in the uk but the company wont electronically transfer the payment to a Canadian bank account, they will only send a monthly cheque. I cant seem to find a uk bank that will let me open an account from Canada seems you need to be resident in uk to open an account. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this problem.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a UK bank account from Canada

If you're with HSBC Canada you could open a Sterling account.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

try this

https://international.lloydsbank.com.../key-benefits/
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I asked them if they would deposit into a sterling account in Canada they said no.
The Lloyds account you have to have an annual income of 50,000 Quid or invest 25K. All I want to do is deposit about a grand a month and transfer it to my Canadian bank a couple of times a year.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an HSBC Canada account, then open an HSBC Canada Sterling account, get your cheque mailed to you and then deposit it.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 12:40 am
Account Closed

I am trying to avoid them having to mail me a cheque every month.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I asked them if they would deposit into a sterling account in Canada they said no.
The Lloyds account you have to have an annual income of 50,000 Quid or invest 25K. All I want to do is deposit about a grand a month and transfer it to my Canadian bank a couple of times a year.
I believe most High St (UK) banks have offshore/international accounts.

There are some accounts where required deposits are not so high. Here are some links I had saved. You may find something there.
https://moneyfacts.co.uk/offshore/of...bank-accounts/
https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/ho...k-account.html
Select account | NatWest International
Isle of Man | Santander
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

It's now virtually impossible to open a current account with a UK bank from overseas. Yes, many banks have offices in IoM or Channel Islands but they are primarily designed for high nett worth individuals and as you've found , have high levels of income/deposit requirements. For us regular Joes it's a pain in the backside. Like many expats we kept our UK bank accounts open and they are OK with us living here.
This may not be of help , and is probably dubious, but I heard of one expat here who had the same problem and seems to have got around it by having a relative opening a new account then giving him the details etc so his pension is paid into this account and he goes online to transfer it here - his UK pension company, like yours, would only pay into a UK bank, or send a cheque, which may, or more likely may not, get here. Then it costs a fortune and takes weeks to clear it and get pesos credited to his Philippine bank!
Maybe you have a trustworthy relative in UK who could accept the payments and transfer to Canada for you , you paying the charges of course. I know HMRC will make payments into nominee accounts.
State pensions are no problem being paid into, in your case, a Canadian bank. International pensions use Citi Bank - their Channel Islands company requires £100,000 to open an account!!!
I sympathise with your predicament!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
It's now virtually impossible to open a current account with a UK bank from overseas. Yes, many banks have offices in IoM or Channel Islands but they are primarily designed for high nett worth individuals and as you've found , have high levels of income/deposit requirements. ...
The moneyfacts link shows 3 out of the 6 displayed banks only needing £1 deposit.

I don't know what else is needed but a quick look at the Nat West one suggests it's possible.