Reload this Page >

covering letter for sending to potential employers

covering letter for sending to potential employers

Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough
Default covering letter for sending to potential employers

Hi Guys,

As our trip is only 4 weeks away i am putting together covering letters and a resume to send to potential employers. i am hoping to get a few meetings whilst over to get a feel for the engineering industry, and in an ideal world get a job offer! i have looked at the wiki in the past about job hunting and am planning to study it again tonight, however in the meantime can anyone offer any helpful advice/comments on my proposed covering letter below:

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to enquire as to whether I could arrange an informal meeting with a suitable representative of your company to discuss any future employment opportunities that may arise within your organisation.

Currently I have 10 years continuous working experience as a mechanical and electrical building services engineer. During this time I have gained significant experience in the design, specification and site supervision for a variety of large commercial and industrial installations. Furthermore I am also experienced in project and contract management, amongst other associated tasks. I hold a BEng Honours Degree in Building Services Engineering awarded by an accredited university in the UK and I am a full member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (MIET). Please find attached my Resume containing more detailed information for your perusal.

I am visiting Ottawa, from Scotland, on Monday 20th July until Monday 27th July, and again from Monday 3rd August until Thursday 6th August. I would therefore be grateful if you could please advise by return email whether you wish to arrange a meeting during either of these periods.

Yours faithfully
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:04 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: covering letter for sending to potential employers

Hi

This looks great to me, same idea as what me and OH put togther prior to our recce.

Good luck with your trip, fingers x you get some feedback
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kancell
Hi Guys,

As our trip is only 4 weeks away i am putting together covering letters and a resume to send to potential employers. i am hoping to get a few meetings whilst over to get a feel for the engineering industry, and in an ideal world get a job offer! i have looked at the wiki in the past about job hunting and am planning to study it again tonight, however in the meantime can anyone offer any helpful advice/comments on my proposed covering letter below:

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to enquire as to whether I could arrange an informal meeting with a suitable representative of your company to discuss any future employment opportunities that may arise within your organisation.

Currently I have 10 years continuous working experience as a mechanical and electrical building services engineer. During this time I have gained significant experience in the design, specification and site supervision for a variety of large commercial and industrial installations. Furthermore I am also experienced in project and contract management, amongst other associated tasks. I hold a BEng Honours Degree in Building Services Engineering awarded by an accredited university in the UK and I am a full member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (MIET). Please find attached my Resume containing more detailed information for your perusal.

I am visiting Ottawa, from Scotland, on Monday 20th July until Monday 27th July, and again from Monday 3rd August until Thursday 6th August. I would therefore be grateful if you could please advise by return email whether you wish to arrange a meeting during either of these periods.

Yours faithfully
It looks good to me too - very clear and says what it needs to say.

When we moved over here we did something similar and emailed it to local employers - we also asked if there was a convenient time we could call them if necessary.

Good luck
TG
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of all the 'I's You should try and have not more than 3 in the letter. It is not always easy, but can be done.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Plain English is now the norm in modern business writing (apart from lawers!)

Bullet points do simplify lists and the use of "I".

Perhaps something like this?

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to enquire if an informal meeting could be arranged with a suitable representative of your company to discuss any future employment opportunities that may arise within your organisation.

I have 10 years continuous working experience as a mechanical and electrical building services engineer. During this time I have gained:

• significant experience in the design, specification and site supervision for a variety of large commercial and industrial installations

• experience in project and contract management, among other associated tasks.

I hold a BEng Honours Degree in Building Services Engineering awarded by an accredited university in the UK and am a full member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (MIET).

Please find attached my resume containing more detailed information.

Good luck!

Last edited by Spritzer; Jun 15th 2009 at 11:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

fair point! my CV/Resume is bullet points to get rid of the use of 'I' however its a bit harder to do with a covering letter.

- will have a go at re-writing it