Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Country of origin

View Poll Results: What UK nationality are you?
English
72.15%
Scots
17.81%
Welsh
5.48%
N. Irish
4.57%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Country of origin

Old May 15th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all
Default Re: Country of origin

loads and loads of us..........you will find us in every nook and cranny
Old May 15th 2007, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
I always preferred a night out in Glasgow, as to Edinburgh.
Agreed, but I'd like to get back along the M8 for my post-bevvy chips. It's got to be "salt and sauce"
Old May 15th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

it is the strangest thing you can hear in a chip shop when you are on the booze in edinbrgh........salt n sauce.......totally bizarre.....never heard of salt n sauce crisps
Old May 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Agreed, but I'd like to get back along the M8 for my post-bevvy chips. It's got to be "salt and sauce"

M8 - Now that screams HOME!!! ..... how I miss doing 90mph, err, umm, I meant 70mph.

I still go through the crisps/chips thing with my wife (Canadian) .. of course, she was horrified when a local chippy in Livingston put brown sauce on her fish supper (not what she had in mind at all) ... they even gave her a funny look when she asked for Tartar Sauce (half expected Mr Nesbitt to appear saying "this ain't the Ritz Doll!"
Old May 15th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

i take it when you were doing 90mph on the M8...it was late at night....it is as bad as ever.......90 mins to edinburgh during rush hour.......garbage....
but tartare sauce......ooooh la di dah
Old May 15th 2007, 6:23 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Jesus Biiink - you're a gadgie!!

I have lost all respect for you now.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:42 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Jesus Biiink - you're a gadgie!!

I have lost all respect for you now.
A what?
Old May 15th 2007, 6:54 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
A what?
A person of dubious character hailing from Edinburgh.

As opposed to a 'weedgie' which is the same term applied to those from Glasgow.

Both terms are usually preceeded by the descriptive phrase:

"So you're nothing but a f**king <appropriate term here>!"
Old May 15th 2007, 7:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

A person of dubious character hailing from Edinburgh.

As opposed to a 'weedgie' which is the same term applied to those from Glasgow.

Both terms are usually preceeded by the descriptive phrase:

"So you're nothing but a f**king <appropriate term here>!"
Thank you for clearing that up. Such a poetic race, the Scots.

I'm half Scot but born in Sussex. Does that make me a squeegee?
Old May 15th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

and what part of this fair country did you hail from madmac?????
Old May 15th 2007, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaulCall
and what part of this fair country did you hail from madmac?????
Born in Bellshill, raised in East Kilbride and lived for a time in Rutherglen.

Now part of the great unwashed residing in sunny Guelph, Ontario.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

born in bellshill myself....do you know the maternity is knocked down now and is a new housing estate.......east kilbride....new town/glasgow cast offs....polo mint city
i stay near to rutherglen...in springboig,but good to hear a local lad on the site

ps dont take offence about ek.....i didnt about weedjie
Old May 15th 2007, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by PaulCall
born in bellshill myself....do you know the maternity is knocked down now and is a new housing estate.......east kilbride....new town/glasgow cast offs....polo mint city
i stay near to rutherglen...in springboig,but good to hear a local lad on the site

ps dont take offence about ek.....i didnt about weedjie
Yes, sad to see houses springing up everywhere and all the greensites being covered up.

EK - Suited me growing up but glad I escaped...eventually. Yes, I am an expert on roundabouts and may hire myself out to the Ontario government as they seem to be putting a few in over here now. Scares the bejesus out of the locals.

No offence taken but I can see why you want to get out of the 'boig.

Good luck on your move this June and try to smile politely every time someone hears your accent and says disarmingly: "Jee, I just love your accent but I can't understand a word you're saying."

I just reply by saying that they should try to learn the Queen's English then.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

exactly.....been in canada more than a dozen times,and i have heard the accent statements many times,to which i reply i speak with a dialect,you speak with the accent....sometimes it baffles folk,but its all in good humour.
thanks for the good wishes for the move,my wifes cousin went to guelph university....by all accounts a lovely place
cheers
paul

ps the boig is a midden...cant wait to go
Old May 21st 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I just reply by saying that they should try to learn the Queen's English then.
That's a very naughty (nawty) thing to say to a Canadian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.