Cougars

Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:25 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cougars

... and Mr Fluff thinks I'm bonkers for wanting a big, heavy duty, wooden walking stick if we manage to get to Alberda...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
...and Mr Fluff thinks I'm bonkers for wanting a big, heavy duty, wooden walking stick if we manage to get to Alberta...
I do too.

I've lived here for 46 years and never needed one.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

... and Mr Fluff thinks I'm bonkers for wanting a big, heavy duty, wooden walking stick if we manage to get to Alberda...
I don't blame you. The rednecks are dangerous out there.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I do too.

I've lived here for 46 years and never needed one.
Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't blame you. The rednecks are dangerous out there.
i'm terrified something will want to snack on my whippets, and will not hesitate to beat the doobreywhatsit out of a cougar, coyote, bear or redneck if they try
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:40 pm

i'm terrified something will want to snack on my whippets, and will not hesitate to beat the doobreywhatsit out of a cougar, coyote, bear or redneck if they try
...and where are you planning on moving to that you think this is likely to happen?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:49 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by Steve_P
...and where are you planning on moving to that you think this is likely to happen?
calgary/cochrane - it's a jungle out there
one can never be too careful! besides, i have a thing for knopkierries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knobkierrie
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:53 pm

calgary/cochrane - it's a jungle out there
There's no point in arguing with the irrational.

Shakes head and wanders off muttering incoherently...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:19 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Coyotes come onto our acreage pretty much every night, when I go outside for a smoke they sound very eerie with their howling etc, but, you get used to them being there.

Its rare if a day goes by where we don't see one, and I was worried about the cats etc - but the cats are savvy (or as savvy as they can be and don't really venture out into the back part too much.

Unfortunately when the calf died last week its natural to haul the carcass out into the bush and the coyotes will - um - take care of it.

I thought this was pretty barbaric but speaking to the farmers, pretty much if any animal dies thats what happens to it (unless its a pet then obviously you bury it).

Coyotes are fun to shoot also (apparently its coming up to their mating season at the end of Feb so i'm sure i'll learn how) and again many local farmers will tear off into the fields on quads and you can hear gunshots ringing.

There's nothing to be afraid of - but if you want a dog that will do its utmost to protect you from these wild ravaging beasts, then a Pyrenean will do the trick (seen one in action - hearing the howls - bounding off - clearing a fence - growling and barking from both parties for a good half hour - pyrenean comes back - coyote goes away - repeat 2 hours later )

PS for a decent size coyote pelt the Hutterites will pay around $100 as they make them into coats etc.

You may be interested to know that also around central AB cougars were released to control the deer population, however that has somewhat backfired as there has been a family friends livestock all but wiped out over the last few months, because obviously you can't train cougars to hunt one thing

You cannot shoot a cougar without a special license and therefore unless the farmers catch the animals in the act of attacking - there's nothing they can do.

Here's a diagram and run down of the facts if anyone cares

http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=87
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Don't forget about the Grizzlies, a big ferocious bear that lurks in Calgary.
Isn't Butch Cassidy moving somewhere more rural?

Originally Posted by dboy
No you wouldn't i've faced both, I'll take a big pussy cat over hulking mass of bear any day.
Me too.

Originally Posted by el_richo
Having been in close proximity few times with one of the big buggers, i'd rather a Cougar than a Bear also.
Which kind of Cougar are we referring to now? The four-legged one, or the 50-something one?

Is that some kind of fetish code?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:17 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

Unfortunately when the calf died last week its natural to haul the carcass out into the bush and the coyotes will - um - take care of it.

I thought this was pretty barbaric but speaking to the farmers, pretty much if any animal dies thats what happens to it (unless its a pet then obviously you bury it).

Coyotes are fun to shoot also (apparently its coming up to their mating season at the end of Feb so i'm sure i'll learn how) and again many local farmers will tear off into the fields on quads and you can hear gunshots ringing.

]

So it is barbaric to haul a dead calf out into the bush but not to go out happily killing animals for fun!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:18 pm
happy daisy

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Isn't Butch Cassidy moving somewhere more rural?

Is that some kind of fetish code?
if you're a redneck i guess it could be
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No you wouldn't i've faced both, I'll take a big pussy cat over hulking mass of bear any day.
me too. that's why I don't live on davie in the west end

More seriously, I haven't seen that much wildlife since I've been here (1 bear, a couple of deer, a few skunks and raccoons and loads of squirrels). I know there are coyotes in stanley park, but i've not seen one yet...

I do see bald eagles flying past my balcony on occasion though, that's kind of cool.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
So it is barbaric to haul a dead calf out into the bush but not to go out happily killing animals for fun!!
Completely see your point, and believe you me I considered both things to be neanderthal (growing up on a big council estate, middle of Leicester!!!!) but you just don't understand different ways of life until you experience them yourself.
(ps not going to get into that discussion again - only now just on speaking terms with Bsmith )
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Are they really that scary? The pan handling bears on the Yellowstone National Park video looks so cute.

Does pepper spray work on cougars too?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:56 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
Are they really that scary? The pan handling bears on the Yellowstone National Park video looks so cute.

Does pepper spray work on cougars too?
No I don't think so following on from being educated watching The Hangover - "Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon" - as a cougar is in the same family one would presume this would apply too.

Find some cinnamon spray, or if that fails a cinnamon roll should work just as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.