Cougars

Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:55 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cougars

I've just seen an interesting documentary regarding Cougars on Vancouver Island.

According to National Geographic, just under 50% of all known cougar attacks in North America occur on Vancouver Island even though only 0.5% of the cougar population resides there.

They figure the attacks on humans are predominantly by juveniles due to the lack of small animals (rabbits etc) to practice and hone their skills on before moving on to larger prey (deer). Many of these occur when owners are walking their little doggy or child and the cougar wants to eat it.

Nat Geo also believe the number of cougars on the island has dropped by ~50% in the last 10 years due to deforestation and the secondary forest growing in such a way that it eliminates areas for deer to live and eat thus reducing their numbers.

Apologies for all who i've just bored beyond recovery and for those who already know this. I just found it interesting and learned something new so thought i'd share with those who didn't.

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 27th 2010 at 10:24 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cougars

and here was me thinking it was about Cougers!!!!!! you know older women out on the prowl for younger guys....lol!!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:35 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
and here was me thinking it was about Cougers!!!!!! you know older women out on the prowl for younger guys....lol!!!
Either way, it's recommended to avoid contact with both for your own safety.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

lol!!! definately a danger to society....
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:28 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

I found it interesting
I've been researching a little about cougars and coyotes as we have 2 dogs and 2 young children and they are something we need to be aware of in Alberta.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough

Hi Kaye, we are heading to Okotoks in April, do they get cougars as far east as that, I thought they liked the high ranges more we also have 2 kids.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

That's interesting. I love the National Geographic site. Glad we're not planning on Vancouver Island to live though - I would rather come face to face with a bear than a cougar.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:06 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
That's interesting. I love the National Geographic site. Glad we're not planning on Vancouver Island to live though - I would rather come face to face with a bear than a cougar.
I think the chances of being attacked are pretty negligible
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
I found it interesting
I've been researching a little about cougars and coyotes as we have 2 dogs and 2 young children and they are something we need to be aware of in Alberta.
Don't forget about the Grizzlies, a big ferocious bear that lurks in Okotoks and in Calgary.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
I found it interesting
Ive was chased by a coyote on the road to Pemberton and i was in a 4x4! They had a problem round Granville for a while with coyotes.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:40 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Ive was chased by a coyote on the road to Pemberton and i was in a 4x4! They had a problem round Granville for a while with coyotes.
there's always been a bit of an issue with coyotes in vancouver.

I was called to a house in north burnaby one time where a cougar got into someone's kitchen and decided to have a nap under the kitchen table. We had to wait hours for the wildlife guys ( try holding a shot gun for that long, I almost joined him under the table, i was cream cracked!), fortunately it never moved or we would have shot it ( would have made a mess of the kitchen as well). An odd experience for a lad from Manchester.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:42 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
No you wouldn't i've faced both, I'll take a big pussy cat over hulking mass of bear any day.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:06 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dboy
No you wouldn't i've faced both, I'll take a big pussy cat over hulking mass of bear any day.
Having been in close proximity few times with one of the big buggers, i'd rather a Cougar than a Bear also.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:14 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeDe
Hi Kaye, we are heading to Okotoks in April, do they get cougars as far east as that, I thought they liked the high ranges more we also have 2 kids.
I'm not sure to be honest, I read that there are about 1000 coyotes living within the limits of Calgary

I think asking a local would get us more information.. hopefully one will read this!!

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Don't forget about the Grizzlies, a big ferocious bear that lurks in Okotoks and in Calgary.
Thanks LV, just what I wanted to hear
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:20 pm
Beep

Last edited by el_richo; Jan 27th 2010 at 3:22 pm. Reason: Note to self: Read posts more closely :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.