Cottages!

Old Feb 1st 2016, 4:05 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cottages!

Originally Posted by I am I said
The friends of my parents clearly owned the wrong kind of cottage. [sadly...] they are not all like that.
To have a vaguely decent experience boils down to the people you are with.

That is the problem with a remote cottage. You can't get away. It's palatable for 24 hours but you could be stuck there for days.

I preferred my old room mate's family cottage, up at Port Elgin, in most respects. It was closer to Oink's description but there was a Crabby Joes Bar and Grill round the corner when people started to irritate me.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 1st 2016 at 4:09 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 4:21 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Meh... FIL has an amazing place down on the waterfront on the Shuswap.

Winterized, open fire, AC, huge deck, hot tub, speedboat, own beach, all manner of fruit trees (peaches, apples, cherries, berries, nectarines etc), a garden full of veggies, 5 minutes to a bunch of golf courses, 1 hour to a bunch of ski resorts, 2 local organic craft breweries.

What's not to love? Just the 5 hour drive out there. But then, with SW AB being in the "foothills" there aren't a lot of lakes here. The ones that aren't reservoirs, are in provincial or national parks and you can't build on them.

And after a while you barely notice the 5 hour drive at all.

Last edited by Photoplex; Feb 1st 2016 at 4:23 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
it had ugly furniture, uncomfortable beds and questionable plumbing
Ha ha, I was once invited to spend a weekend in a friends grandparents weekend static caravan in rural Wales. It was exactly like this, complete with grandparents PJ's still in the beds.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:06 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Meh... FIL has an amazing place down on the waterfront on the Shuswap.

Winterized, open fire, AC, huge deck, hot tub, speedboat, own beach, all manner of fruit trees (peaches, apples, cherries, berries, nectarines etc), a garden full of veggies, 5 minutes to a bunch of golf courses, 1 hour to a bunch of ski resorts, 2 local organic craft breweries.

What's not to love? Just the 5 hour drive out there. But then, with SW AB being in the "foothills" there aren't a lot of lakes here. The ones that aren't reservoirs, are in provincial or national parks and you can't build on them.

And after a while you barely notice the 5 hour drive at all.
Just one hour from here..... Erm where did your FIL leave the keys to the front door .. And the boat?
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:22 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Just one hour from here..... Erm where did your FIL leave the keys to the front door .. And the boat?
It's not like the Okanagan is downtown Baghdad either!
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:25 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
It's not like the Okanagan is downtown Baghdad either!
Yeah, Kal lake/Okanagan isn't bad but we aren't lakeside!! Pleeeeeeeease?
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 4:39 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
A very accurate description.

I did get invited to the Muskoka cottage of an exceptionally wealthy internet entrepreneur last summer. His neighbour owned the website PartyPoker and Cindy Crawford owned the cottage opposite.

I sat on the deck all weekend but did not see Cindy Crawford once. It dawned on me that she probably found Muskoka as boring as I did.

The boats, the hot tub, the huge cottage and boat house. It doesn't change the fact you are in but **** nowhere. No coffee shop or bar for miles. 30 minutes in the hot tub, a quick jump in the lake and I'm good to get back to the living.
Oh give over, there are tons of coffee shops and bars to boat to, let alone drive to. Given that Lake Muskoka is one of three lakes connected, you could have boated to Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Port Carling, Rousseau, Windermere etc etc for your pint on a deck side patio.

Last edited by Tirytory; Feb 2nd 2016 at 4:56 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 4:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say we live here, and even I'm not convinced by lake side living. Of course, it's amazing when it's 30 degrees plus and you have your own private dock to jump off and fabulous for the kids, but you have to wait for the lake to warm up so the swimming season is later than the boating season and even the nice weather when it starts. You would be paying for a cottage, taxes and maintenance in which the main attraction lasts from June to August, maybe the first couple of weeks in September, although once the rain and cooler weather starts the lake cools down quickly. You could get a fully winterised cottage and use it in the winter but then you still have to consider a two hour travel in winter in often poor conditions because of lake effect snow and what activities you might use it for then (snowmobiling etc) and is it even worth it to have to keep a cottage open in winter given heating costs, someone keeping an eye on it etc.

Oh and most properties in Muskoka are taken off the market for winter so searching now for comparables won't net you much joy. Usually around April, May properties start appearing again..
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Oh give over, there are tons of coffee shops and bars to boat to, let alone drive to. Given that Lake Muskoka is one of three lakes connected, you could have boated to Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Port Carling, Rousseau, Windermere etc etc for your pint on a deck side patio.
A lot of hard work for a pint. And you have to take the people you may be running from with you.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 6:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
A lot of hard work for a pint.
All the more rewarding.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, cottages are usually damp mouldy places filled with smelly old furniture and ancient and hideous lamps with dubious wiring. The walls are covered in nasty wood panelling, that's if they aren't planks of yellow wood. There's no sound proofing so you get to listen to other people farting, snoring, and or shagging most of the night. The loos are on small septics, there'll be a sign saying that cottage rules apply "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down", it's pretty vile pooping on the accumulated pee of the other residents. There'll be cards, board games, and books about living in the backwoods for entertainment. Outside you'll find a canoe or kayak, maybe a pedallo, fire pit, and rusty old BBQ. The dock will be rickety and surrounded by weeds in which nasty black water snakes lurk.

No wonder everyone drinks at the cottage.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 10:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@bats

You just wrote the new version of this, from 2 minutes in

Old Feb 3rd 2016, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yep, cottages are usually damp mouldy places filled with smelly old furniture and ancient and hideous lamps with dubious wiring. The walls are covered in nasty wood panelling, that's if they aren't planks of yellow wood. There's no sound proofing so you get to listen to other people farting, snoring, and or shagging most of the night. The loos are on small septics, there'll be a sign saying that cottage rules apply "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down", it's pretty vile pooping on the accumulated pee of the other residents. There'll be cards, board games, and books about living in the backwoods for entertainment. Outside you'll find a canoe or kayak, maybe a pedallo, fire pit, and rusty old BBQ. The dock will be rickety and surrounded by weeds in which nasty black water snakes lurk.

No wonder everyone drinks at the cottage.
I recognise this more than the descriptions of hot tubs and decking. But you left out the long drop.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really get the cottage ownership thing either. I've had a few great weekends at other people's cottages and I'd consider renting one for a couple weeks for a holiday maybe, but otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's a ton of cash and an immense amount of hassle for a few weekends a year in benefit. Maybe it used to make more sense when fewer families had both parents working and the mother + kids could spend a couple of months there in the summer?
Old Feb 6th 2016, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

Just as people swap time shares does 'cottage swapping' go on?

Or does it sound even more dodgy than wife swapping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.