Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Costs of moving goods From UK

Costs of moving goods From UK

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Andy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really niceAndy_Liz is just really nice
Default Costs of moving goods From UK

Hi There

Just wandering how much it would be to transport goods to Alberta?
The usual stuff Living room Sofa's, furniture, Bedrooms (x4), Garage (bikes, tools e.t.c...), Toys, clothes e.t.c
i'm guessing at a container or part off?

Will electricals from the UK work in Canada (TV, DVD, Wii....)

Or would it be better to sell up the day to day stuff and only take things that are sentimental, nesscesary, you what i mean

Thanks
Andy
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of moving goods From UK

Originally Posted by Andy_Liz
Hi There

The usual stuff Living room Sofa's, furniture, Bedrooms (x4), Garage (bikes, tools e.t.c...), Toys, clothes e.t.c
i'm guessing at a container or part off?

Will electricals from the UK work in Canada (TV, DVD, Wii....)

Or would it be better to sell up the day to day stuff and only take things that are sentimental, nesscesary, you what i mean

Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy,

I think you'd be better off doing a search on 'shipping', there's been a thread recently and there are lots more.

Some people would say that you're better off taking as much as possible because you'd only have to replace it the other end. We will not be taking much furniture because we will furnish gradually with stuff there, alot from thrift stores. My OH will be taking most of the contents of his workshop because it's accumulated over 30 years.

Cost-wise.......go on-line to different shipping companies as I have been to look at approximate costs for shipping to your destination with your requirements. Costs vary depending on many factors including container size, destination, how much packing you will do yourself, storage needs, value/insurance....

We are looking at a mountain of sorting and decluttering ahead of us, (20 years worth), and are considering paying for storage of boxes that we will pack and label in preparation for shipping as we gradually clear the house for decoration & selling.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

BenandJerry is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Costs of moving goods From UK

Hi, we moved all our furniture from UK to Calgary, apart from electricals as they do not work only 110v here so best off flogging them in the UK.

We paid GBP 4000.00 including insurance for a 20ft container. But please do not use Britannia, they are not good at all.

Good luck
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandJerry
Hi, we moved all our furniture from UK to Calgary, apart from electricals as they do not work only 110v here so best off flogging them in the UK.

We paid GBP 4000.00 including insurance for a 20ft container. But please do not use Britannia, they are not good at all.

Good luck
Before you chuck out all your electricals, check if they are dual voltage/hertz. Many items these days are 110v-230v and 50-60 Hz. You can also buy transformers which will step up the power for things like power tools etc. I am still of the bring it with you school. We have got rid of very little stuff. Even old sofas - once you get into 40ft container land (which we did in spades) you may as well fill it. Houses in Canada are generally larger than you would experience in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_Liz
Hi There

Ballpark figure - 4,000 to 5,000GBP for a 20 foot container, which is apparently the size of a single garage if you are trying to visualise packing!

You cannot re-furnish a (regular-sized family) home for $6,000CDN IMHO.

Bring the good stuff, and even the not so good stuff and work it out at and shop at your leisure, not in a rush.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Note too that you might have to lick the bikes and tools clean, they have to be absolutely spotless - any trace of dirt and customs will either prevent you from unloading it or you'll have to pay to have them thoroughly cleaned before they'll be released.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Ballpark figure - 4,000 to 5,000GBP for a 20 foot container, which is apparently the size of a single garage if you are trying to visualise packing!

You cannot re-furnish a (regular-sized family) home for $6,000CDN IMHO.

Bring the good stuff, and even the not so good stuff and work it out at and shop at your leisure, not in a rush.
I think it largely depends on your circumstances whether to ship/how much/what cost on your circumstances. When I graduated back in the middle ages, I had a record collection and an almost wife (still got the record collection). Not to ship was obvious. Now, 20 years later I have a house full of "stuff" and kids (and the same "now wife" funnily enough). The 40ft container literally contains our lives. I think my wife (an accountant, so she enjoys theses things) told ne our house contents insurance was £100k in the UK. I'm not saying our 2nd hand tat is worth that but when you start looking at replacement values...well.....well....