Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I had something like that in Essexshire once. Say 1200 sq ft. No basement of course.
Then I would say that the houses here that worked best for us were around 1500 sq. ft. + basement. That's enough for five people who are out most of the time. 2,000 sq. ft. seems like it would be loads though I imagine 2,000 sq ft of housing project house in Barrie means a lawn as big as the bathroom, older houses are better proportioned to the lot.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Then I would say that the houses here that worked best for us were around 1500 sq. ft. + basement. That's enough for five people who are out most of the time. 2,000 sq. ft. seems like it would be loads though I imagine 2,000 sq ft of housing project house in Barrie means a lawn as big as the bathroom, older houses are better proportioned to the lot.
Isn't this the whole point? One can accept a tiny lot (or even none at all) if you're living in a part of a town which offers access to things, ... restaurants, pubs, libraries, Kultur, within walking distance or a short public transport ride.

Stick yourself in a soulless tract house in Barrie (or similar) with a handkerchief of land, and needing a car for each family member to go or do anything, you might as well slit your throat. (IMHO).
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Isn't this the whole point? One can accept a tiny lot (or even none at all) if you're living in a part of a town which offers access to things, ... restaurants, pubs, libraries, Kultur, within walking distance or a short public transport ride.
I thought so but it became wearing, we moved out to the Beach to get a backyard, space for a trampoline and the like.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Stick yourself in a soulless tract house in Barrie (or similar) with a handkerchief of land, and needing a car for each family member to go or do anything, you might as well slit your throat. (IMHO).
Yes.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
2,000 sq. ft. seems like it would be loads though I imagine 2,000 sq ft of housing project house in Barrie means a lawn as big as the bathroom, older houses are better proportioned to the lot.
I agree, the size back yard in many of the properties in Barrie is laughable in comparison to the dimensions of the house. I've seen worse though. The newer developments in Vaughan for example. The houses are built so close together that I wonder if I would be able to walk between them.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I agree, the size back yard in many of the properties in Barrie is laughable in comparison to the dimensions of the house. I've seen worse though. The newer developments in Vaughan for example. The houses are built so close together that I wonder if I would be able to walk between them.
Like this
Attached Thumbnails The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..-gta-craptastic-sprawl.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Like this
Where are the back gardens? They all join up and no fences to separate boundaries.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Where are the back gardens? They all join up and no fences to separate boundaries.
Pretty much my idea of hell.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
and mine. But there's suburbia and suburbia. We live in a subdivision, in the archetypal 2,000 sq ft 4-bedroom house with about an additional 750 sq ft of usable space in the basement. When we were looking to buy, we saw several significantly larger houses on pocket-handkerchief lots, built right up to the lot lines and with a dozen feet or so of back yard. What we ended up with is a slightly older property, in need of cosmetic attention, on a (for a subdivision) reasonable lot around 1/5 of an acre - and enough room to swing a cat between ours and our neighbours' houses.

For a 'burb, I think we have a reasonable back yard (it helps that there's a creek behind us, it wouldn't be the same if the backs of the next street's houses were right over the fence...)
Attached Thumbnails The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..-backyard.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

me too!
All new builds going up here seem to have tiny back gardens. You have to go for an older house to get land.

Our house is 4,000 sq ft. It does not have a lot of land but we fell in love with the house.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Fenced in backyards are a rarity here even in subdivision land. I'd say less than 50% of yards are fenced in. Mind you, that might be because of the cost - we fenced in the 1/2 acre or so back yard a few years back and it cost me the thick end of $8k!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Fenced in backyards are a rarity here even in subdivision land. I'd say less than 50% of yards are fenced in. Mind you, that might be because of the cost - we fenced in the 1/2 acre or so back yard a few years back and it cost me the thick end of $8k!
Always wondered why in a country with an abundance of wood it is so expensive.

Last edited by Tangram; Mar 27th 2012 at 3:32 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Always wondered why a country with an abundance of wood it is so expensive.
Well, most of it was chain-link. For the wooden bit I got the fence installers to put the posts in and did the rest myself. All in all it cost around $8k though. And as I say, it's something of a rarity for other houses around here to have the same. Even those with kids/dogs.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And as I say, it's something of a rarity for other houses around here to have the same. Even those with kids/dogs.
It's for ease of access so they can drive their old knackered beater onto the lawn to be used as a garden feature.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:23 pm
The Brit is back

Yeah I haven't got a fence either but I have lots of trees as a divider and for privacy. Those houses had no privacy whatsoever
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:23 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's for ease of access so they can drive their old knackered beater onto the lawn to be used as a garden feature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.