Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cost of moving to canada

cost of moving to canada

Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:36 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of moving to canada

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004
Well in that case I think you got a great deal
Or I am mad....
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:07 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
Perhaps I ought to point out that the cost I incurred was for NINE cats.
OMG! Nine cats are you serious. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope they are not house cats
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:26 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
OMG! Nine cats are you serious. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope they are not house cats
They are at the moment while they get used to this being home, but no, they usually go out most of the time.

I have installed one of those cat flap things that you put in your patio doors and it works brilliantly, but the weather is rubbish at the moment and while one or two of them have been outside on the deck, they haven't spent much time out there yet.

Usually they are very much outdoor types and are used to living in a rural area, but the wildlife here is bigger and more dangerous, hence the catflap onto the deck rather than directly to the garden and also hence the cautious introduction to outside after the bear has gone to bed.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:43 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
They are at the moment while they get used to this being home, but no, they usually go out most of the time.

I have installed one of those cat flap things that you put in your patio doors and it works brilliantly, but the weather is rubbish at the moment and while one or two of them have been outside on the deck, they haven't spent much time out there yet.

Usually they are very much outdoor types and are used to living in a rural area, but the wildlife here is bigger and more dangerous, hence the catflap onto the deck rather than directly to the garden and also hence the cautious introduction to outside after the bear has gone to bed.
Aw,Not sure where you are but have they been out in the snow yet? Our old cat hates the snow...another reason to retire her out in the UK. (though she wasn't very impressed with the snow there last Christmas)
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:00 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Aw,Not sure where you are but have they been out in the snow yet? Our old cat hates the snow...another reason to retire her out in the UK. (though she wasn't very impressed with the snow there last Christmas)
In the UK last year where we lived in Derbyshire it was so deep outside that there was a snow tunnel from the catflap to the patio steps!!
It was like escape from Colditz every time they wanted to go to the loo!

They didn't go out in it here but in Abbotsford there wasn't much snow and it didn't last anyway.

I put the cat flap door out to the deck so that they could survey the garden and take in all the new smells etc before committing to going down there and also so they would be safe initially from coyotes etc who can't get to the deck.
We are on a 40 acre parcel so there is wildlife out there!
I am sure when they are more confident that they will be fine but for now it is OK for them to be cautious.

Just off to empty the litter trays AGAIN
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:08 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

We moved in September 2010 and luckily had a reasonable amount of capital and somewhere to stay for a couple of months before buying. In 13 months we have spent over 50000gbp in moving and living expenses( not including the deposit on the house) and we brought a lot of furniture and household goods with us. We haven't spent much here on household goods and our deck is bare. It's not as easy to get work now in some area's so you will need a buffer to fall back on. The car insurance for 2 basic cars is still $4300 in the second year and we have no tickets and 8 & 9 years no-claims.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:19 am
Don't call me MOM!!

Originally Posted by How long
We moved in September 2010 and luckily had a reasonable amount of capital and somewhere to stay for a couple of months before buying. In 13 months we have spent over 50000gbp in moving and living expenses( not including the deposit on the house) and we brought a lot of furniture and household goods with us. We haven't spent much here on household goods and our deck is bare. It's not as easy to get work now in some area's so you will need a buffer to fall back on. The car insurance for 2 basic cars is still $4300 in the second year and we have no tickets and 8 & 9 years no-claims.
Wow that's high for car insurance.

This is our first year here and we're paying $1200 for our 2011 Ford Fusion, with no claims (they accepted 3 years worth form the UK) with Canadian Direct.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Woodcutter is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved here in 2009 and its surprising what it cost to get started. Buying a car, insurance, new electrical equipment, clothes for winter, BBQ, just basic living essentials all add up. The cost of moving including flights, container costs for our psossessions probably cost 35,000. Finding work takes time and to get a good job initially is not easy so you will need a nest egg of atleast six months. We have two children and the cost of school trips, baseball, rugby and soccer programs are much more expensive than the UK so the money just dissapears BUT, the summers are great child just love it hear.