Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cost of moving to canada

cost of moving to canada

Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:28 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of moving to canada

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Which companies did you use to ship your stuff and pets? Sounds very reasonable to me...
White and Co for the shipping container - Derbyshire to Vancouver door to door but I packed most of the small items myself (for convenience not to save money).

ANA Aviation and a very nice and competent lady there called Liz Cawthorne arranged the pet shipping.
I just had to get them the necessary paperwork, into cat carriers (bought on E-Bay) and to the depot at Manchester Airport, which was fine.
(The two thousand pounds includes the vet costs for Fit to Fly check and Rabies vaccinations and buying the cat carriers, which of course I can sell again at the Canada end.)

Nothing broken, no mishaps or missing stuff and pets all well, albeit a bit smelly and shell-shocked.

I shopped around a LOT and researched this for several months before I made a decision and saved up hard, too.
I do think I got a very fair price on these two issues and it gave us some leeway for unexpected costs.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
White and Co for the shipping container - Derbyshire to Vancouver door to door but I packed most of the small items myself (for convenience not to save money).

ANA Aviation and a very nice and competent lady there called Liz Cawthorne arranged the pet shipping.
I just had to get them the necessary paperwork, into cat carriers (bought on E-Bay) and to the depot at Manchester Airport, which was fine.
(The two thousand pounds includes the vet costs for Fit to Fly check and Rabies vaccinations and buying the cat carriers, which of course I can sell again at the Canada end.)

Nothing broken, no mishaps or missing stuff and pets all well, albeit a bit smelly and shell-shocked.

I shopped around a LOT and researched this for several months before I made a decision and saved up hard, too.
I do think I got a very fair price on these two issues and it gave us some leeway for unexpected costs.
Thanks for the info
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlton
hi there i am a carpenter and would hope to have some arranged employment within a week or two of landing cheers karlton
It is illegal for someone to charge to find you work or offer you a job. Also consider when you move, work availability in construction is going to be at a low ebb in winter, Canada is heading into recession, so a lot of uncertainty on the job front for everyone.

Immigration fees
Consultant (as you say you will use one)
Flight tickets
Accommodation when arriving for a month in a motel
Groceries
Removal company
Setting up home costs
Transportation
Tools of the trade (many use their own) Subject to duty if importing your own.
Getting Canadian journeyman status (through http://www.saskapprenticeship.ca
Funds to sustain you until finding work

Less than £30k would make it very hard in my opinion.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

hi there i was wondering how much would be a good amount of money to have if i wanted to emigrate to canada (sasketchewan) for a family of 4 two adults and two children 10 and 3years old from start to finish so i am up and running in canada thanks
£40,000 would cover:

Application
Flights
Rental car
Accommodation
Car purchase (x2 most probably)
Insurance
Shipping
Living
Safety net

ish
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

We moved to manitoba in 2007. I put about 40k$CAD in my canadian account. I had a job but didnt earn much for 6 months. The cash cushioned us for 12 months, having said that we travelled a fair bit
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:43 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
We moved to manitoba in 2007. I put about 40k$CAD in my canadian account. I had a job but didnt earn much for 6 months. The cash cushioned us for 12 months, having said that we travelled a fair bit
Well,with the exchange rate being so poor now that would be about twenty five thousand pounds.
Then factor in the rise in prices since 2007 and I would say that the forty thousand pounds that el_richo quoted would be a fair updated figure.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helcat12
Well,with the exchange rate being so poor now that would be about twenty five thousand pounds.
Then factor in the rise in prices since 2007 and I would say that the forty thousand pounds that el_richo quoted would be a fair updated figure.
Yeah I'd go with that, but I dont think it would cover application fees and it might only get you one car(inc insurance!)
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I would always allow for worse case scenario..plan your finances around not having any income for 12 months..if you get a job early doors then its a big bonus!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

We worked out that our emigration here from start to finish cost us $56,000. This included all exams, course, flights and relevant registration fees I had to pay. It didn't include the cost of living and buying a new car!
It always costs about double to what you think it will be!
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

im not saying that its not a good idea to use a pet carry company, but i called air canada and to sent my 2 dogs out on the same flight as me and buy my own air canada approved pet carriers it would cost me less than half of what you paid. vet fit to fly checks and vaccines dont cost more than £1000.
Just something to look into and possibly save you some more money
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:37 pm
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004

im not saying that its not a good idea to use a pet carry company, but i called air canada and to sent my 2 dogs out on the same flight as me and buy my own air canada approved pet carriers it would cost me less than half of what you paid. vet fit to fly checks and vaccines dont cost more than £1000.
I second this, we paid nearly £750 to send our cat and were totally dismayed with the company we used. We were supposed to be paying for the cat to be looked after before and after the flight but when my OH got there to pick her up, she was dumped on her own in the middle of a cargo bay with forklifts whizzing past absolutely terrified - no person in sight. They also kept losing paperwork, wouldn't let us confirm until 2 weeks before, put wrong info on shipping docs etc. Nightmare.

It's possible to do the paperwork yourselves with a bit of research, we were really disappointed with the company we used for the amount we paid. I felt so guilty when the poor little thing arrived in YYZ
Old Nov 28th 2011, 3:16 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joolschweetie
I second this, we paid nearly £750 to send our cat and were totally dismayed with the company we used. We were supposed to be paying for the cat to be looked after before and after the flight but when my OH got there to pick her up, she was dumped on her own in the middle of a cargo bay with forklifts whizzing past absolutely terrified - no person in sight. They also kept losing paperwork, wouldn't let us confirm until 2 weeks before, put wrong info on shipping docs etc. Nightmare.

It's possible to do the paperwork yourselves with a bit of research, we were really disappointed with the company we used for the amount we paid. I felt so guilty when the poor little thing arrived in YYZ
Aw, poor wee kitty. We decided to leave our cat in the UK with my parents rather than put her through the stress. She is enjoying her retirement and throughly spoilt
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:10 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

hi there i was wondering how much would be a good amount of money to have if i wanted to emigrate to canada (sasketchewan) for a family of 4 two adults and two children 10 and 3years old from start to finish so i am up and running in canada thanks
From start to finish I would say 50K pounds which includes cushion just in case job hunt is not immediately successful.
CHC fees; meds; exams; many flights for reccies and landing; fees for selling property in UK; one way flights; pet relocation; household goods relocated; buying stuff inc car etc once landed; rental on vehicle whilst finding car to buy; car insurance!; medical coverage whilst waiting for health cards (ONT); deposits for rental property; deposits for utilities; buying suitable clothing for the winters; emergency fund just in case of short notice trip back to UK;
The list is endless and not cheap.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:56 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Stu_g2004

Perhaps I ought to point out that the cost I incurred was for NINE cats.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Well in that case I think you got a great deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.