Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Originally Posted by irishsamx
When we visited NS, we ate like Kings, the food is fab and the choice and prices in the Supermarkets was great.:
Now this is really gilding the lily. The whole time my child lived in Halifax we sent her food parcels of goods unobtainable there.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:54 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

I am sorry, could you enlighten me on what goods, she could'nt get, I would really like to know.

I live in France, I could write a book on the subject
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry, could you enlighten me on what goods, she could'nt get, I would really like to know.

I live in France, I could write a book on the subject

Roti. Curry powder. Truffles. Lamb. Chili peppers. Raclet cheese. Durain. Tartex.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 12th 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:03 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Chili peppers
You are joking ?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The idea of moving from France to Canada for the food might be the most preposterous yet advanced on this board. How many Michelin starred poutine stands are there in NS?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Loki117
That also sounds low to me as a software dev he might perhaps want to look at the big $ industries like banking, gas and oil?
sorry, I might have given the wrong impression here - he's nothing to do with software, purely hardware! (unfortunately, or we'd probably be there by now and with a job offer and a brilliant wage - bloody software people are so lucky! hehe).

Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
You are joking ?
They're a problem even in Toronto. There are some at the Kensington market but, if we're in Arizona, we buy in huge quantity as the choice is much better. Generally Toronto's great for food but Mexican's a weak spot. Asked to recommend an authentic place to eat the Mexican consol could only offer "my house?".
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I've been a contract programmer in Canada (though not in Winnipeg) since 1986 though much of my income comes from royalties on programs already written. I think contracting is better paid than permanent work and it has the considerable advantage that the taxes are lower (averaged over ten years my deductions Tax, CPP, EHT, yadda yadda have been 17% of gross income; income varying from a low of $120k). That said, contract rates in Toronto are about half what they are in London.

I don't know what the going rate for jobs in Winnipeg might be but as someone who pays more than $40,000 a year in alimony I can assure you that the recipient doesn't think it a viable income for two people living mortgage free in Toronto. Winnipeg would have to be very cheap indeed to make that a living wage.
wow $20k alimony?? i married the wrong guy! i could live quite comfortably just being somebody's ex-wife, in that case! hehe

but seriously.. we also thought contracting would be better paid - as it is in the uk - but not according to the IT agency guy. i guess we'll find out anyway. we survive on £23k in the uk at the mo, and that's with a £60k mortgage, so we're hoping we if we only have a mortgage of £30k but an income of £17k (equiv. thereof) we should be no worse off.

Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Roti. Curry powder. Truffles. Lamb. Chili peppers. Raclet cheese. Durain. Tartex.
not to mention fresh vegetables and fruit
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:17 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

They're a problem even in Toronto. There are some at the Kensington market but, if we're in Arizona, we buy in huge quantity as the choice is much better. Generally Toronto's great for food but Mexican's a weak spot. Asked to recommend an authentic place to eat the Mexican consol could only offer "my house?".
OMG i live for Chili Peppers !!!!!!!! I might have to open a "DAZZLERS SPICE STORE" downtown !
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by val50
She worked at Great Ocean, an organic vegetable store, so I hope she was well enough served for veg.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:18 pm
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by val50
NOOOOOOOOOO ! It just gets worse !
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

The idea of moving from France to Canada for the food might be the most preposterous yet advanced on this board. How many Michelin starred poutine stands are there in NS?
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PLEASE DON'T GET INTO THAT.........

When are people going to realise that the average meal you get in a bar/restaurant in OUR part of France anyway is peasant food, yes peasant food, pizza, sausage, fatty faux steak or a runny cheese omelette served with frozen fries and no side salad.......................................
We have eaten in many many restaurants here, Vannes, Carnac, Lorient, Nantes, etc and still I get disappointed NEARLY everytime .

Yes Michelin starred restaurants are wonderful, very far and few between and very very very expensive.

It is the choice, I miss

Give me a Steakhouse in NS anyday
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
NOOOOOOOOOO ! It just gets worse !
Aren't you going to Toronto? Almost any food (with the exception of Mexican) is available at either the St. Lawrence or Kensington market.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It is the choice, I miss

Give me a Steakhouse in NS anyday

The choice between medium and well done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.