Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:00 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - monthly outgoings

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Before going down the CIS the possibility of going down the NSNP Skilled
Worker Stream http://novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1078.aspx is often looked at first. This means that one can get a job offer without having to get LMO. Many people have skills and do jobs that would not pass the LMO. The CIS http://novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1095.aspx is for people that have been around in the community over a period of time and/or are looking to buy or set up in business in their chosen community and those previously self employed and wanting to stay that way. With the Economic Stream being on hold at the moment the CIS is a route also for those that would fit that category. The CIS does require proof of funds along with any business plans.

The CIS stream is community driven and was set up so that the smaller communities could attract and assist the people they need. People who can come in on work permits generally will be based in or around Halifax. It is easier for them to find the people it needs.
Oh move on won't you? This thread is now about lobster size and BBQing in sub-zero didnt you know!?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NSpaul
oh, if you have to ask that you're obviously not cut out for life in Canada are you? Have you thought about Australia?
I just considered BBQ'ing a summer activity!

Last edited by bodgerx; Aug 14th 2008 at 7:21 am.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
In that case i`m putting my foot down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A few people recommended Richmond Hill...i know its not downtown but its meant to be quite nice and i WILL NOT pay over the odds for a hovel ! Even so, there must be better value places downtown ? (i am prepared to meet her halfway on this)
You're really comparing apples and donkeys there. The Beach, while not quite downtown is within reach of the TTC, while living there we could walk to 100 independent owned restaurants. I expect Richmond Hill has its strong points but it's very much a suburb, residents would typically drive to a chain restaurant. Getting to Toronto from there on a daily basis would be a pain.

The strong points of the Beach are echoed in lots of other parts of town, Leaside, High Park, Yonge/Davisville, the better bits of the Danforth. The Beach is unique in that the housing stock was originally cottages for city residents and features a lot of self-built structures that have stood for a lot longer than the builders intended. When we moved from there to a cabin on a notoriously windy ridge I was shocked how much easier it was to keep the cabin warm. Be aware also that flooding and termites are major problems in the Beach area.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I prefer lobster in the winter
Mmmmmm.