Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living between Canada and U.K.

Cost of Living between Canada and U.K.

Old Dec 19th 2007, 2:46 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living between Canada and U.K.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "cutting a cheque"?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:05 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Where, precisely, did I say that everyone in Canada was struggling? There are more people on the poverty line in BC, than there ever were, and that is the reason workers cut more and more grocery cheques. I can't ignore the increasing numbers of families turning up and putting their kids into care, just because they are homeless. Being poor is not a child protection issue, but not feeding your kids because you have no money can become one. Four years ago I cut one cheque maybe every month or so. Now I am doing about two a week. It is not a blanket statement, it is quantifiable fact.

I gave you one link to a site with an abundance of supporting information, there are many more. If you emigrated now, and had to struggle the way many people do these days, I wonder if you would have the same view. People who came here years ago might not see and experience what the more recent immigrants do. I doubt recent immigrants bother to post on here and lie about their struggles, just to annoy those who blindly ignore facts because they have not personally experienced the issues raised.

Years ago, as a new immigrant your qualifications weren't questioned or denigrated much. If you came from the UK, you were pretty much set in terms of transferability. Years ago salaries roughly matched the cost of living. Years ago there was not so much competition for jobs or competition and waitlists for affordable housing.

Of course there are poor people everywhere. That would be a blanket statement I would agree with.
It was the posting I responded to in the first place that implied everyone in Canada was struggling, but you jumped right in there and assumed it was you.

And, by the way, we have three fairly new immigrant families joining us for Christmas, that are definitelty not struggling. No one is arguing about people on the poverty line, but stop lecturing and insisting that the majority are. Get off your high horse. Because your job brings you into contact with people needing help doesn't mean that the majority are in need.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:06 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "cutting a cheque"?
Issuing. Sorry - it's old office lingo. They used to print a run of cheques and "cut" them manually to issue to clients. Showing my age...
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:11 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
It was the posting I responded to in the first place that implied everyone in Canada was struggling, but you jumped right in there and assumed it was you.

And, by the way, we have three fairly new immigrant families joining us for Christmas, that are definitelty not struggling. No one is arguing about people on the poverty line, but stop lecturing and insisting that the majority are. Get off your high horse. Because your job brings you into contact with people needing help doesn't mean that the majority are in need.
You quoted me when you responded, you might want to check your own posts before being quite so ill mannered. Again, I have not insisted that the majority are on the poverty line. You evidently have reading difficulties, so I will not bother responding to you again.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
Yes I meant double in dollars. i.e £30k salary in UK should aim for $60k in Canada.

hudd
That's more like it, I still don't think it's achievable though, especially if you used to work in London earning a good salary and then move to a small town in western Canada.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
That's more like it, I still don't think it's achievable though, especially if you used to work in London earning a good salary and then move to a small town in western Canada.
Agreed - a dollar/sterling equivalent is more likely here.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Its got to be 'horses for courses' if you remember that old English salary. I would not expect a city salary in a rural town in the UK either. I know when I lived in rural Ontario the average wage was £25K in 2004 in the town I lived and was half that of the average salary in Ottawa. The same is in the UK, rural jobs are low paid.

The problem in our rural location (Oxfordshire) is the £100k city folk have houses or weekend home making it very expensive for locals(average local wage £16k). So pushing £60k income I still I not that well off compared to if we lived back in Suffolk.

hudd

hudd

Last edited by hudd; Dec 19th 2007 at 6:23 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
Yes I meant double in dollars. i.e £30k salary in UK should aim for $60k in Canada.

hudd
I did wonder ?

There is no way my OH will earn double in $ what he earns here in UK in £
until we get PR as we will have to come on work visa, once we have that then he could do contract work again and take more hols, can't believe they only have two weeks all the jobs he has looked at are the same in $ as in £s,which means he will take a massive pay cut, more than half
we will be mortgage free but am concerned about the utilities thats in Ottawa area
He does at the moment pay around £600 a month in rail fair and parking we still will need a second car so can't really count that, less the mortgage
so can afford to take a cut in wages and maintain a good lifestyle.

We have been looking at building a home there and alternative forms of heating, in ground heat pumps, and wood burners also solar and wind for elec the initial outlay will be large but no massive bills i hope.

There does seam to be a huge variation in the property tax in Ottawa and prob across the rest of Canada, having seen the wages i do wonder how people manage

There is poverty everywhere and its going to get worse in the UK utilities are going up again in the spring, elec has already risen by 45% this year, interest rates are on the up, even friends in the city are cutting back and i mean the big earners, so what happens to those that are already struggling

When we go again in the spring we will look more carefully at the actual costs over there, we def want to go but maybe we are expecting a bit too much
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Or even a big town
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:01 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You quoted me when you responded, you might want to check your own posts before being quite so ill mannered. Again, I have not insisted that the majority are on the poverty line. You evidently have reading difficulties, so I will not bother responding to you again.
Good. But try going back and reading again.