Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Wikiposts

Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:31 am
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice
Default Re: Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
Hi
I will be starting my new job as a construction tradesman in Alberta in January.
Does anyone here work in construction over there and how do the conditions
differ from in the U.K, working conditions, facilities. attitudes to work etc?
I have also read they have less holidays over there?
I will be working for a large nationwide company, whereas I have been self employed and worked for small sub contractors all my days in the U.K, so
I am expecting some differences straight away.
Thanks
Self employed, any paid holiday is a bonus then. Good luck and don't forget your gloves and hat.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

cheeky_monkey,

can i ask do they normally employ brits from within Canada itself ie citizens and pr's or do they also go down the line on lmo etc?
im currently preparing my application under noc 7215, and have been site operations manager for 3yrs plus working on both fast track and slow paced jobs, some heritage work along with listed buildings and 7* luxury properties in the uk, some sites running 24hrs day with shifts of 80ppl or so on site.

would be interested in any other information if you can pm me please,

hamazz
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:40 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hamazz
cheeky_monkey,

can i ask do they normally employ brits from within Canada itself ie citizens and pr's or do they also go down the line on lmo etc?
im currently preparing my application under noc 7215, and have been site operations manager for 3yrs plus working on both fast track and slow paced jobs, some heritage work along with listed buildings and 7* luxury properties in the uk, some sites running 24hrs day with shifts of 80ppl or so on site.

would be interested in any other information if you can pm me please,

hamazz
well if you are PR or a citizen they you get first bite at the cherry..simple because there are fewer hoops to jump through. I was PR.. couple guys are TWP working towards PR..If you have Canadian experience then your stock as a propsective employee rises still further..if you already have the experience i would say it puts you one step in front of the competition because you have international experience too.