Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Wikiposts

Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road
Default Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Hi
I will be starting my new job as a construction tradesman in Alberta in January.
Does anyone here work in construction over there and how do the conditions
differ from in the U.K, working conditions, facilities. attitudes to work etc?
I have also read they have less holidays over there?
I will be working for a large nationwide company, whereas I have been self employed and worked for small sub contractors all my days in the U.K, so
I am expecting some differences straight away.
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

They generally lay off during the winter as they can't start new construction in winter. Pay can be higher during winter. Min holidays in Canada is set at 3 weeks. Indoor work does continue through winter though
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: take the above reply with a pinch of salt. There are no Canadian mininum holiday requirements as such things are governed by Provincial laws as opposed to Federal ones. Construction does not stop in the winter across all of Canada etc.

Hopefully, someone with experience of construction in Alberta will post soon
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
To the OP: take the above reply with a pinch of salt. There are no Canadian mininum holiday requirements as such things are governed by Provincial laws as opposed to Federal ones. Construction does not stop in the winter across all of Canada etc.

Hopefully, someone with experience of construction in Alberta will post soon
I have a cousin in Edmonton who is an electrician, the last 2 years he was laid off in December because the work is scaled back due to the weather and the fact that they don't wantto pay additional wages foreground in the cold. It is a fact that you can't dig the ground when it is frozen, never mind the pouringof concrete! I didn't sat construction stopped, but it is seriously hampered when it's minus 20 and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby only had his annual vacation allowance increased to 3 weeks after he'd been working here for almost 6 years. That was in Ontario, you can probably google the provincial standards for Alberta too.

We've found the attitude to work her to be much more oriented to work than to family. I'm not saying that it's everybody's experience, but the general rule where hubby works is that work comes first, regardless of whether you want or need to do overtime, if it's available, you do it, for example. He finds it very difficult to find much of a work/life balance.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:36 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If it is anything like BC in Alberta then it will depend entirely of the company. Whilst the labour standards dictate the minimum terms and conditions (and the construction industry tends to start with minimum vacation - 10 days after one year or 4% of pay) attitudes to work/life balance will vary enormously. However, if I can generalize, most work sites start as early as they can in the morning so there will be a fair chance to be home with the kids by tea time, chance to help with homework and so on. Then early to bed.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James,
It depends on where in Alberta you will be too.
The weather in the Calgary area is quite different to Edmonton, as we get the chinook winds in, that can warm things up.
My friends hubby drives a backhoe, and sure there are some days he can't work if its -30, but hes working pretty much all of the winter.

Usually holiday starts at 2 weeks a year, not always, but we have a lot of stat holidays so that kind of makes up for it.
If you are going to be working outside, then warm layers will be necessary for those colder days.
Marks work wearhouse is where my hubby gets a lot of his work wear, and they even sell fleece lined jeans.
craigpark2's hubby has just started work recently in Calgary, so he might be able to give you some more insight too, if you pm them.

Good luck!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich07
I have a cousin in Edmonton who is an electrician, the last 2 years he was laid off in December because the work is scaled back due to the weather and the fact that they don't wantto pay additional wages foreground in the cold. It is a fact that you can't dig the ground when it is frozen, never mind the pouringof concrete! I didn't sat construction stopped, but it is seriously hampered when it's minus 20 and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground!
Excavation and concrete pouring can continue in cold weather with the right control but there is a financial cost. There is generally a push to close the building envelope for winter so indoor trades can continue. It all depends on the individual project. There is a scaling back certainly but not a shutdown in my experience.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Hi James,
It depends on where in Alberta you will be too.
The weather in the Calgary area is quite different to Edmonton, as we get the chinook winds in, that can warm things up.
My friends hubby drives a backhoe, and sure there are some days he can't work if its -30, but hes working pretty much all of the winter.

Usually holiday starts at 2 weeks a year, not always, but we have a lot of stat holidays so that kind of makes up for it.
If you are going to be working outside, then warm layers will be necessary for those colder days.
Marks work wearhouse is where my hubby gets a lot of his work wear, and they even sell fleece lined jeans.
craigpark2's hubby has just started work recently in Calgary, so he might be able to give you some more insight too, if you pm them.

Good luck!
Hi there. Yes my husband started work in Calgary as a Superintendent with a major construction company when we arrived 5 months ago and he gets 3 weeks holiday but, like LucyLovelock says, he get lots of statutory holidays which makes up for it. I think he gets at least a day's statutory holiday off nearly every month.

He has been working long hours since he got here on the expansion of the light rail train in downtown Calgary but I guess they have to make hay while the sun shines but he's certainly going to be working right through the winter.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by craigpark2
Hi there. Yes my husband started work in Calgary as a Superintendent with a major construction company when we arrived 5 months ago and he gets 3 weeks holiday but, like LucyLovelock says, he get lots of statutory holidays which makes up for it. I think he gets at least a day's statutory holiday off nearly every month.

He has been working long hours since he got here on the expansion of the light rail train in downtown Calgary but I guess they have to make hay while the sun shines but he's certainly going to be working right through the winter.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It is calagry I will working in also, for a major construction company.
I don't know anymore details about what site or project, perhaps
it will be the rail line expansion like your husband.
Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
Thanks everyone for your replies.
It is calagry I will working in also, for a major construction company.
I don't know anymore details about what site or project, perhaps
it will be the rail line expansion like your husband.
Thanks
Which company will you be working for James as I know the company my husband works for have been recruiting from the UK? If you'd rather not say on the thread, you can send me a PM if you like
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

Hi oh is bricklayer in calgary and last winter was awful as nobody wanted to heat and tarp up the sites....they are expecting things to be better this winter as there would appear to be more money around.

Holidays depends on what trade your in and if company is in union...oh is paid 10% on top of his salary every fortnight as vacation pay, then when he takes holidays he doesnt get paid...bit of a bummer, but then idea is that you keep this for vacation pay.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

omalley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by craigpark2
Which company will you be working for James as I know the company my husband works for have been recruiting from the UK? If you'd rather not say on the thread, you can send me a PM if you like
Hi craigpark2,

Do you know if your husbands company are recruiting construction site managers by any chance?? Would appreciate the help or any pointers!!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:07 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

As stated before im Project Director for one of the biggest construction companies in Western Canada...im based in Edmonton but we have offices in Calgary, Vancouver, across Saskatchewan, Mantiboa and into Ontario.

winter does not effect our production or turnover..everythin is just hoarded and heated..we however do not start a project mid winter..mostly spring and summer and early autumn. I have the same holiday allowance i had in the UK..we have a few Brits and Irish guys who work for us..most of the sub contract bricklaying companies always have a fair few British bricklayers as do the roofing companies and dry wall too.

i have been offered work with another large company on numerous occasions and i know they are actively seeking UK project managers and site managers etc.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:29 am
Just Joined

omalley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Construction work in Canada?/ Holidays / Conditions etc

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
As stated before im Project Director for one of the biggest construction companies in Western Canada...im based in Edmonton but we have offices in Calgary, Vancouver, across Saskatchewan, Mantiboa and into Ontario.

winter does not effect our production or turnover..everythin is just hoarded and heated..we however do not start a project mid winter..mostly spring and summer and early autumn. I have the same holiday allowance i had in the UK..we have a few Brits and Irish guys who work for us..most of the sub contract bricklaying companies always have a fair few British bricklayers as do the roofing companies and dry wall too.

i have been offered work with another large company on numerous occasions and i know they are actively seeking UK project managers and site managers etc.

Hi cheeky monkey,

Could I be a cheeky monkey and ask for you to provide me with a contact? Your experience would be valuable and it would be great if Dominic could get a job out of this.

Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.