Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Construction in the winter

Construction in the winter

Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction in the winter

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Although I am a City and Guilds carpenter/joiner I tend to be multi-trade due to the nature of work that is around. Most of the contracts are in north London (Stoke Newington/Highburyetc). I would class myself as a general buider because I do renovations/extensions/ refurbs etc. I do ground work, brickie, some electrical and plumbing, tiling, roofing and obviously all aspects of carpentry work etc. etc. The job I have been offered in Toronto is for a custom deck company although they do basements and refurbs as well. My main concern was obviously how the weather affects the outdoor work. The company have told me that they have been busy over the last few years during the winter months, but have given me the option to start in March if I want. I will probably go then because I am concerned that I am will be the first one out should the work dry up and as I am on a work permit things will be slightly more risky. I am taking the family with me so I have to look at how it will affect them too. I don't want to get the kids settled then find that I haven't any work. I have been told that I can approach other companies if they are prepared to endorse another work permit application but I am not sure how easy this would be in practice. Any suggestions?

gonna send you a pm
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4 of a kind
You certainly do sound in a similar spot to us, we have a son in yr 9 and another in yr 4 at school, and really would prefer to get them settled sooner than later! Have you already applied for PR? We haven't, and intend to do it once we are over there on the permits.

Reading about the type of work that you do, i doubt you will have too much trouble. Refurbing basements is big business, and as is common here to get a reliable good tradesman is such a bonus. So don't fret too much. My husband is also pretty multi skilled, and will turn his hand to most things. From people we've spoken to over there as long as you have a bit of money to fall back on initially, once you are 'known' as reliable etc., you should have no trouble.

How are your kid(s) coping with the idea of it all - are they looking forward to it?? Ours are, but like us, it just seems to be dragging on forever, you sure you don't want to buy a really nice house in mid Essex rather than Toronto??
Almost exactly the same I would say. Son is in year 9 and daughter is in year 2, other son reception. Like you we are going to wait until we are over there to start PR as it 10 extra points!! Kids are all looking forward to our impending move although the eldest is going through the Kevin and Perry stage at the moment so its sometimes hard to get a full sentence out of him on the subject - usually lots of grunts and whatever's!!! I think 'whatever' means that he is pretty keen on the idea ?? With regards to staying here - we both decided a long time ago that this country is on a downward spiral and we don't intend to be around when it hits the end. We want to enjoy the rest of our lives and for the kids to have better opportunities. We won't actually be settling in Toronto itself,too dear, it will be on the eastern side which is where most of the companys work is based. Where are you off to?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:31 am
Essex hopefuls

4 of a kind is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost exactly the same I would say. Son is in year 9 and daughter is in year 2, other son reception. Like you we are going to wait until we are over there to start PR as it 10 extra points!! Kids are all looking forward to our impending move although the eldest is going through the Kevin and Perry stage at the moment so its sometimes hard to get a full sentence out of him on the subject - usually lots of grunts and whatever's!!! I think 'whatever' means that he is pretty keen on the idea ?? With regards to staying here - we both decided a long time ago that this country is on a downward spiral and we don't intend to be around when it hits the end. We want to enjoy the rest of our lives and for the kids to have better opportunities. We won't actually be settling in Toronto itself,too dear, it will be on the eastern side which is where most of the companys work is based. Where are you off to?
I bet there are a lot of families out there with budding Kevin & Perry's, I know ours are! They are looking forward to it, i think the youngest will be glad to change school as he doesn't like the current teacher... not entirely the right reason. The eldest can see the potential, and is being on the whole, grown up about it. Though at his age he's carving a bit of a social life and I know there will be tears in the end. Everything is a drama at 13/14! Well hubby's company are centralish Toronto, but we've fell in love with Oakville/Burlington area which is on the West of the city. A bit of a commute but then the work moves around and sometimes it will be in the US, so it won't really matter exactly where we settle. It's just driving us mad trying to sell the house, so many people wasting our time/ clearly not reading the spec before coming round. whinge, whinge, so, although we had initially hoped to be there now, we've moved the goalpost for ourselves and are aiming for the Spring.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:52 am
Account Closed

I bet there are a lot of families out there with budding Kevin & Perry's, I know ours are! They are looking forward to it, i think the youngest will be glad to change school as he doesn't like the current teacher... not entirely the right reason. The eldest can see the potential, and is being on the whole, grown up about it. Though at his age he's carving a bit of a social life and I know there will be tears in the end. Everything is a drama at 13/14! Well hubby's company are centralish Toronto, but we've fell in love with Oakville/Burlington area which is on the West of the city. A bit of a commute but then the work moves around and sometimes it will be in the US, so it won't really matter exactly where we settle. It's just driving us mad trying to sell the house, so many people wasting our time/ clearly not reading the spec before coming round. whinge, whinge, so, although we had initially hoped to be there now, we've moved the goalpost for ourselves and are aiming for the Spring.

We are off in March '06 too, if you get a chance let us know how you are getting on.GOOD LUCK!!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:01 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

It might be time you give "Andrew Winter" a call, he is a presenter of a show called "selling houses" in the UK, saw an episode on the telly last night, helping people sell their houses and making changes to it before viewings.

Oakville and Burlington you say? It was very expensive for us, and the size of the lot was small for the kind of money they were asking.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by finallygotout
It might be time you give "Andrew Winter" a call, he is a presenter of a show called "selling houses" in the UK, saw an episode on the telly last night, helping people sell their houses and making changes to it before viewings.

Oakville and Burlington you say? It was very expensive for us, and the size of the lot was small for the kind of money they were asking.
All we need is lots of magnolia paint according to the house doctor - my dining room has a table and six chairs, my living room has a 3 piece suite, my bedroom has fitted wardrobes, the other 3 beds have ample storage space.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. If I paint it all beige will I be able to sell it!!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:05 am
Essex hopefuls

if only painting the house beige was all you had to do. I think our house is a little unusual in design and the right sort of people just haven't viewed yet. Our house is beige/cream almost entirely, de-cluttered, cleaned and polished theres just nothing else to do, we even banish the kids out of the way so that the house is decluttered of bodies!!. Friends and family are aghast that it hasn't been snapped up, but thats the current housing market for you. That said we had a good viewing this evening, so fingers crossed...
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:18 am
Account Closed

if only painting the house beige was all you had to do. I think our house is a little unusual in design and the right sort of people just haven't viewed yet. Our house is beige/cream almost entirely, de-cluttered, cleaned and polished theres just nothing else to do, we even banish the kids out of the way so that the house is decluttered of bodies!!. Friends and family are aghast that it hasn't been snapped up, but thats the current housing market for you. That said we had a good viewing this evening, so fingers crossed...
Good luck!!! Have now got the kids in strait-jackets!!!! Don't touch the walls - hang your coats up, put the plates in the dishwasher, don't breathe on the paintwork. God help me its half-term next week - I am going to be fit for :s the 'funny farm;. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:25 am
Essex hopefuls

Good luck!!! Have now got the kids in strait-jackets!!!! Don't touch the walls - hang your coats up, put the plates in the dishwasher, don't breathe on the paintwork. God help me its half-term next week - I am going to be fit for :s the 'funny farm;. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Tell me about it! Extremely stressful keeping a family home in tip top exhibition condition day in day out, Still my youngest will be at hol club next week (me at work...) just the eldest to concern myself with, and of course friends..... i so hate school holidays when i have to work through them! Still, this time next year(sooner i hope)... we'll be much better off!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Tell me about it! Extremely stressful keeping a family home in tip top exhibition condition day in day out, Still my youngest will be at hol club next week (me at work...) just the eldest to concern myself with, and of course friends..... i so hate school holidays when i have to work through them! Still, this time next year(sooner i hope)... we'll be much better off!!

Thats the dream I keep holding onto too! Just out of interest - are YOU nervous??? On the friendship front, hubby has guys from work, kids make friends from school, me at home because youngest at kindergarten. Bored sh*t*ess and with no friends. Leaving all my v.v.v.good mates back in England, I feel that I am the loser in all of this.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the dream I keep holding onto too! Just out of interest - are YOU nervous??? On the friendship front, hubby has guys from work, kids make friends from school, me at home because youngest at kindergarten. Bored sh*t*ess and with no friends. Leaving all my v.v.v.good mates back in England, I feel that I am the loser in all of this.

if your very close to friends and family then you may have a hard time migrating......and you will only find out by doing it....good luck
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:16 am
Essex hopefuls

Yes of course i'm nervous too, i work full time here and aim not to do that in Canada, and of course that will cut down my circle of friends. Much easier to build a social circle when you are at work or a kid! But, i'm determind to get out there, be involved in the kids activities, maybe do some voluntary work a few hours a week, and i think, given the warmness of the Canadians i've met so far, it shouldn't be too difficult. The thing with us here is that we are all guilty of being insular and don't exactly make the effort to forge new friendships as we get older. Now we'll have too, or be lonely.

I have some great friends here, and i will miss them terribly, but with internet useage and phones the real friendships will continue, different, but we'll always be friends. It's still scary though, and I instigated the idea in my family!!!!!!