Reload this Page >

Trucking companies

Trucking companies

Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:20 am
Just Joined

daisyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trucking companies

Hi there,
My hubby is a HGV1 driver and has over 20 yrs experience, and we are looking into the possibility of moving to Canada.
Just wondered if anyone knows of any companies recruiting drivers from UK at the moment.
Would love to hear from any truckers who have made the move too!

Hope someone can help!

Many Thanks
Liz
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:23 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucking companies

Originally Posted by daisyd
Hi there,
My hubby is a HGV1 driver and has over 20 yrs experience, and we are looking into the possibility of moving to Canada.
Just wondered if anyone knows of any companies recruiting drivers from UK at the moment.

Hope someone can help!

Many Thanks
Liz
Which part of Canada are you looking to move to?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Which part of Canada are you looking to move to?
Hiya,
We are looking ar Alberta area really as we have relatives near there, but would look further afield, and would go where the work was!

Liz
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:42 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Hiya,
We are looking ar Alberta area really as we have relatives near there, but would look further afield, and would go where the work was!

Liz

There is a thread in the archive somewhere, from someone who's husband had to take the test all over again here, cos it's not called HGV here, it's more like AZ/DZ or something like that.

Hopefully this person will come along and tell you all about it. Am sure you are prepared for the amount of time it will take for the whole process of emigrating?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:54 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
There is a thread in the archive somewhere, from someone who's husband had to take the test all over again here, cos it's not called HGV here, it's more like AZ/DZ or something like that.

Hopefully this person will come along and tell you all about it. Am sure you are prepared for the amount of time it will take for the whole process of emigrating?
I think (but not sure) that AZ/DZ is for the USA, here in Nova Scotia it is a class 1for a tractor/trailer combo.
Class 5 is for a car and anything rigid up to 14,000t,
Class 3 is rigids over 14,000t,

There are plenty of trucking jobs all over canada but i think Vancouver is the hot-spot.

HTH
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

There certainly is a shortage of long haul truck drivers in the Atlantic/Maritime side of Canada, and judging from ads in the local paper here in NL for Alberta I'd say it is true there too. Talking to the MD of one of the trucking companies we use (I ship seafood around the world) he was telling me of the difficulties in recruiting and retaining good drivers. He actually had a bunch of Dutch guys working for him at one stage. This company was based in NB but covered the Eastern part of Canada and US.

I'd say if you are willing, had a good driving record and maybe additional experience e.g. reefer, hazchem etc and were prepared to invest some of your own time and money in getting re-trained you would have no problem in finding a job. In fact I would go asfar as speculating that you might well get a working visa to come be a trucker in fairly short order.

The downsides are pretty much the same as in UK - lots of time away from home and of course its a bigger place so that might be more of a problem.

Cheers,
AX
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
There certainly is a shortage of long haul truck drivers in the Atlantic/Maritime side of Canada, and judging from ads in the local paper here in NL for Alberta I'd say it is true there too. Talking to the MD of one of the trucking companies we use (I ship seafood around the world) he was telling me of the difficulties in recruiting and retaining good drivers. He actually had a bunch of Dutch guys working for him at one stage. This company was based in NB but covered the Eastern part of Canada and US.

I'd say if you are willing, had a good driving record and maybe additional experience e.g. reefer, hazchem etc and were prepared to invest some of your own time and money in getting re-trained you would have no problem in finding a job. In fact I would go asfar as speculating that you might well get a working visa to come be a trucker in fairly short order.

The downsides are pretty much the same as in UK - lots of time away from home and of course its a bigger place so that might be more of a problem.

Cheers,
AX
Thanks for all your replies, hubby has sent a few e mails and we will await to see if it can happen for us.

Liz
Old Oct 16th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

My ex was a trucker in Ontario...you will need an AZ license for big rigs, DZ is more for big dump trucks..
Medicals need to be done every 3 years to keep your license
Jobs pay very well, but as you are used to your hubby being a trucker, him being gone for a week or 2 at a time won't be a problem for you..

Just look in any local paper and you will find someone wanting a driver...just be careful as many of them only want self employed drivers....
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

The Welshman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

This company was at the Emigrate Show in Sandown at the begin of the month.

www.westcanbulktransport.com

They are looking for drivers in Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan.
Looking for two years experance. (I have not got that so i'll see when i get there.)
Hope this is of some help, there is also this website
www.uktruckerstocanada.com

TheWelshman A pint of Brains SA, works well
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:16 am
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Hope someone can help!

Many Thanks
Liz
they had jobs about 1 month ago, looks likea decent company.

also
willis and brazelot, dont know the web address but a search engine will find it, i did.

good luck
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:19 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
they had jobs about 1 month ago, looks likea decent company.

also
willis and brazelot, dont know the web address but a search engine will find it, i did.

good luck
Hi there

Just sent off the evaluation form for

http://willisbrazolot.com/home.php

to see if they can help me obtain a work permit

They only deal with HGV drivers, Welders and car mechanics

I am looking into the possibility of maybe getting a work permit through them

Will wait and see what the costs are

Eddie
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Hi there

Just sent off the evaluation form for

http://willisbrazolot.com/home.php

to see if they can help me obtain a work permit

They only deal with HGV drivers, Welders and car mechanics

I am looking into the possibility of maybe getting a work permit through them

Will wait and see what the costs are

Eddie
we are using willis and brazolot and its costing 4 of us #5,500 quid from beginning to end, starting as a temp working visa ,as hgv drivers arent skilled, then for that money they look after you till you are a pr 3 yrs down the line. we know people who have already used them
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:10 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beeginger
we are using willis and brazolot and its costing 4 of us #5,500 quid from beginning to end, starting as a temp working visa ,as hgv drivers arent skilled, then for that money they look after you till you are a pr 3 yrs down the line. we know people who have already used them
Are you going through the full immigration process with them, if so that is why it is costing you this amount.
I have already submitted my application for PR and have received my file number.

Beeginger how did your friends rate them and how have you found them !!!

Wonder how much I will be charged just for employment assistance !!!!!!

Eddie
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Are you going through the full immigration process with them, if so that is why it is costing you this amount.
I have already submitted my application for PR and have received my file number.

Beeginger how did your friends rate them and how have you found them !!!

Wonder how much I will be charged just for employment assistance !!!!!!

Eddie
they came over from canada to meet us and explain how it all works. there was absolutely no pressure and all of our friends have had the same experience.
they have told us all of the forms and medicals, drug tests, truck retests, police checks, etc we need and HOW and WHERE to do them. they have now set us up interviews for our fact finding trip next month both in calgary (where we want to go) and winnipegg employers. we should come back with 3-5 job offers and from the time we accept one to being in canada on a temp work permit should be 3 months