Reload this Page >

Considering future in Canada

Considering future in Canada

Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

scoles1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering future in Canada

Hi,

Have been thinking about moving to Canada for the past year or so with the backing of my partner. I believe that it won't be an easy move with there being tight restrications on who does and doesn't get in.

I work for BP as a Mechanical Technician Offshore (North Sea). I have been in the Oil & Gas industry since leaving school and would like to enquire about the same industry in Canada.

One thing I can't seem to find is the job title that I have and what I wanted to ask was is the job I do over here called something different in Canada?

I was also confused regarding my current qualifications and if they would be applicable over in Canada. Currently I have a HNC in Mechanical engineering, SVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical) and working towards a HND in Mechanical Engineering.

My partner works in an Administrive roll and she is working towards a Degree in Buisness Administration.

How likely are we to be considered for work and can anyone advise on websites or places for more specific information about the possibilities of moving.

If any more info is required of me then fire away.

Thanks
Stuart
Old Nov 10th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering future in Canada

Hi

Welcome to BE

Start reading the wiki at the top of the page. It has a ton of info on the different routes into Canada. Try and get your head around it all (no mean feat) and then once you have worked out your preferred method of trying to get over here then ask more specific questions that we can all try and help you with.

Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for replying I will go away and come back with more specific questions like you mentioned.

Stuart
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

once you have made 3 posts you can private message people, try sending a pm to Arty, he is in your industry and also lives in Scotland, he may be able to help with some more info
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

you'll probably be wanting to look around Alberta for jobs....lots of Oil/Gas Industry positions here
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
you'll probably be wanting to look around Alberta for jobs....lots of Oil/Gas Industry positions here
Not a lot of them offshore though.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoles1
Hi,

Have been thinking about moving to Canada for the past year or so with the backing of my partner. I believe that it won't be an easy move with there being tight restrications on who does and doesn't get in.

I work for BP as a Mechanical Technician Offshore (North Sea). I have been in the Oil & Gas industry since leaving school and would like to enquire about the same industry in Canada.

One thing I can't seem to find is the job title that I have and what I wanted to ask was is the job I do over here called something different in Canada?

I was also confused regarding my current qualifications and if they would be applicable over in Canada. Currently I have a HNC in Mechanical engineering, SVQ Level 3 in Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical) and working towards a HND in Mechanical Engineering.

My partner works in an Administrive roll and she is working towards a Degree in Buisness Administration.

How likely are we to be considered for work and can anyone advise on websites or places for more specific information about the possibilities of moving.

If any more info is required of me then fire away.

Thanks
Stuart
Send a pm to NLDC. He is a senior guy at an oil service company here in Newfoundland. Which is where Canada's offshore oil industry is concentrated.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:04 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

BP you say....their street cred isn't exactly great in this part of the world. How is this guy doing these days?

HND coversion to Canadian education? You might have to do a year or two of university...not sure though
Old Nov 11th 2012, 2:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
HND coversion to Canadian education? You might have to do a year or two of university...not sure though
3yrs generally required to convert to an undergraduate degree here. If you've prior work experience and/or other technical skills, qualifications or can prove attendance at seminars and conferences with learning outcomes, google PLAR (Prior Learning Acheivement Recognition) for conversion into degree credits.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for everyone getting back, I am currently offshore but if moving to Canada would probably want to go onshore. I have worked mostly onshore at an Ethylene steam cracker for ExxonMobil.

Stuart