Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considering Canada or UK

Considering Canada or UK

Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Canada or UK

Originally Posted by Matematik
There's a reason why so many Brits immigrate to Canada and not vice versa.
and I thought it was simply because the Canadians tended to emigrate to the US….
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
and I thought it was simply because the Canadians tended to emigrate to the US….
The US is definitely the #1 destination for Canadians living abroad (80%). The UK is the #2 destination but a distant 2nd. I remember reading somewhere that the number of Canadians who move to the UK each year is actually greater than the number of Brits who move to Canada each year. That's because the Brits prefer to move to Australia, New Zealand, France or Spain.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 5th 2012 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:02 pm
Banned

Matematik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Yeah, because the US is better than the UK too if you've got ambition and a bit of go about you.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I remember reading somewhere that the number of Canadians who move to the UK each year is actually greater than the number of Brits who move to Canada each year That's because the Brits prefer to move to Australia, New Zealand, France or Spain.
Canadians in the UK: 82,000

British people in Canada: 603,000

There's about an equal number of Brits in Canada as there are in Spain, and signficantly more than in France or New Zealand.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's about an equal number of Brits in Canada as there are in Spain, and signficantly more than in France or New Zealand.
Source?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing you got that here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...s_abroad/html/

Significantly more Brits in Australia though which you conveniently failed to mention. Spain has 25% more Brits than Canada so I wouldn't say those figures were "equal".

However, I wasn't actually talking about totals. I was talking about recent figures showing how many people move between each country on an annual basis. I remember reading that about 5,000+ Brits moved to Canada each year but that about 8,000+ Canadians moved to the UK. Can't remember where I read that though. I'll try to dig it up.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Significantly more Brits in Australia though which you conveniently failed to mention. Spain has 25% more Brits than Canada so I wouldn't say those figures were "equal".

However, I wasn't actually talking about totals. I was talking about recent figures showing how many people move between each country on an annual basis. I remember reading that about 5,000+ Brits moved to Canada each year but that about 8,000+ Canadians moved to the UK. Can't remember where I read that though. I'll try to dig it up.
I think we've established the guy is a troll.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Pirros is an unknown quantity at this point

IF this was about me thank you for trashing my post. What a way to welcome someone who dared to make a question. My main point was in which country the job prospects and the overall situation would match my circumstances.Just this. I hope that here i could have a meaningful exchange of ideas. Who knows better than the people in this forum?
Thank you and you are welcome if you need my advice, if i can help you for anything
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think we've established the guy is a troll.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pirros
IF this was about me thank you for trashing my post. What a way to welcome someone who dared to make a question. My main point was in which country the job prospects and the overall situation would match my circumstances.Just this. I hope that here i could have a meaningful exchange of ideas. Who knows better than the people in this forum?
Thank you and you are welcome if you need my advice, if i can help you for anything
I'm certain Sally meant Matematik, not you. Chill.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Pirros is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, im sorry
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

People living in Canada about 35 million
People living in UK (not even the size of BC) 60 million
therefore there will always be more people moving around from Britain than Canada!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, sorry for any misunderstanding there.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:33 am
Banned

Canada is clearly more popular with Brits than the UK is with Canadians. That was my point.

It's hardly any suprise that the number of Brits living in Spain is 25% higher, considering Brits can move there freely, flights are very cheap, properties are cheap and Spain is a bigger country in terms of population.

In fact, I'm suprised its only 25% higher. Just goes to show how many Brits have immigrated to Canada.

Last edited by Matematik; Jun 6th 2012 at 10:44 am.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by feelbritish
People living in Canada about 35 million
People living in UK (not even the size of BC) 60 million
therefore there will always be more people moving around from Britain than Canada!
Proportionally, there are still far more Brits in Canada, than Canadians in the UK.

To keep it in proportion, if Canada's population was 60 million, then the population of Canadians in the UK would only be about 164,000.

Your attempts to disprove that fact are not working. Why do you care anyway? What is your agenda?

Last edited by Matematik; Jun 6th 2012 at 10:44 am.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pirros
Canada. No doubt. The UK really is not that great, and far more Brits move to Canada than Canadians moving to the UK. That's got to account for something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.