Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Speak for yourself, its not what I want. I want someone smart and interesting who loves and respects me for who I am, and will stand by me through thick and thin.

Sounds sort of gay when you write it down like that
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Speak for yourself, its not what I want. I want someone smart and interesting who loves and respects me for who I am, and will stand by me through thick and thin.

Sounds sort of gay when you write it down like that
Someone who loved and respected me for what I am would want her head examined, I can do better than that.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Someone who loved and respected me for what I am would want her head examined, I can do better than that.
LOL! Thats probably true, but I was talking about me not you, and there is nothing wrong with loving me for who I am

At least thats what my mum used to say over and over and over about me while looking for her valium....
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Female people.

to be pursued by nubile young women who will do anything for you because you're rich is perhaps second only to a threesome with blonde twins in the canon of standard male fantasies. That is what we want. Add in sunshine and you can certainly have my soul on a salver.

What? Better than wolfbagging?

LOL.But no comment.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What? Better than wolfbagging?
The context here is Canada, land of the rindless bacon. I expect there's more wolfbagging in Marbella.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard the term wolfbagging before.

Googled it.

Didn't follow any of the links. The brief description was enough to tell me I didn't want to know more.

Interestingly enough, result 9 of the google search was:

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487152
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Never heard the term wolfbagging before.

Googled it.

Didn't follow any of the links. The brief description was enough to tell me I didn't want to know more.

Interestingly enough, result 9 of the google search was:

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487152
down to number 9? When the thread was active it was the first result (I know because I googled it then.... )
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:25 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

to be pursued by nubile young women who will do anything for you because you're rich is perhaps second only to a threesome with blonde twins in the canon of standard male fantasies. That is what we want. Add in sunshine and you can certainly have my soul on a salver.
PMSL You have to admire the honesty, if nothing else.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leoline
We are now considering Toronto. I have read all the pros and cons with interest. I am not 'green' and am well aware of the issues - the weather again will be a factor. I think that it will be up to us to make it work.
If you have any specific questions about living in Toronto, feel free to send me a PM. I will try not to be too biased!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
If you have any specific questions about living in Toronto, feel free to send me a PM. I will try not to be too biased!
Better to post than to email, that way we can all find out where the chubby chasing hot spots are.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
More general answers for Adrian as to why Britons are emigrating at the highest levels since before the First World War, while immigration has reached unprecedented levels:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../15/view15.xml

Marmite does get a mention
Thanks for the link. My initial post was more of a query on why people wanted to move to Canada, rather than a question as to why people were leaving the UK, even though the subsequent discussion tended to focus more on the latter.

Some interesting comments, but it did provide a bit of an answer to my initial question. Those moving to Canada are in the minority and it is by no means the "preferred country" for people looking to move out of the UK. From the link:

The majority of British emigrants settled in just four countries: Australia, New Zealand, France and Spain.
Two of of the four(i.e. France and Spain) are in my list of countries that I am looking to move to and Canada does not even get a mention. I would suspect that out of those four, Spain is probably the most popular(anybody know?). A confirmation of sorts that I am on the right track.

I did find some of the comments by expats quite telling. Makes me wonder if it is representative of this community as well.

Join with me and the BNP and get our country back.I look forwards to seeing our BBC back in the hands of true Britons reading the news and not the collection of foreigners that do the job now.
Vote BNP or never be free.
The answer is NOT to run away but we must all join together to promote the BNP and ensure the BNP has a role in running things.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think you may be mistaking 'marriage and children' weight gain with ageing weight gain - unfortunately that's genetics and there's nothing you can do about it.
Convenient excuse, while there may be some truth to it, the fact is that when comparing married and single people of the same age, the married ones have gained more weight.

Even if you married a size 6 and didn't have children (please don't, the thought of you breeding is nauseating) she'd still get bigger as time goes on.
Please read my comments again. I said I would divorce her if she got huge, not if she got bigger. Sure, people put on weight as they got older, but if she went up five sizes in five years, you can bet I am going to give her an ultimatum. As I said, I would expect that she would try to make an effort to lose weight. I would divorce her only if she did not make an effort.

I take care of myself and work out 3 times a week. I would expect the same from any woman I marry. If she does not take care of herself, it shows me that she has no respect for herself or her body. Love is all well and good, but a marriage also requires attraction and passion. There is no way I would spend the rest of my life with an overweight, unattractive woman that I had no interest in.

Yes, I know there are a lot of men that are so beaten down that they spend their lives in just such boring marriages where the passion is long gone. I am not one of them.

I was actually referring to Marbella and Puerto Banus, the area of Spain you seem so enamoured with for some reason. It may have the yachts and Bentleys you referred to earlier but it's certainly not attractive, it's got very little attractive architecture or character
So, you have such a horrible life in the UK that you can barely afford to pay for childcare, yet you can afford to vacation in places like Marbella and Puerto Banus?

I have not committed yet to an area to live, while you are right that there is not much architecture or character in the area specifically, it is 2 to 3 hours away from Sevilla, Cordoba, Cadiz, Granada and the ferry to Morocco. More architecture and culture right there to satisfy anyone. The white village of Ronda is half an hour away. And in the summer months Marbella and Puerto Banus is one of THE place to be in Europe. Yes, I like the nightlife and the beautiful people.

and is simply full of god awful nouveau riche people with no class or style. I hated it there.
Maybe you hated it there because in addition to lacking the class and style, you also lacked the money? After all, these are people that have nannies for their kids, while you apparently struggle to pay for childcare for yours.

Oh and btw, can you please tell me where you saw all these places serving fish and chips everywhere? I wouldn't mind checking them out the next time I am there and have a craving for it.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

I did find some of the comments by expats quite telling. Makes me wonder if it is representative of this community as well.
No they are NOT representative of this community.

You have quoted 1 or a few peoples ie minority of peoples views, from another forum!

Last edited by RodRos&Co.; Nov 16th 2007 at 7:56 pm. Reason: just added last few words
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Marbella is full of overweight unattractive middle aged men with nubile young women who are clearly only after them for one thing - he'll fit right in!!
I am neither old, nor overweight, or unattractive.

Does that qualify me to date nubile, young women in the small, judgemental world that you live in?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

the small, judgemental world that you live in?
Coming from a guy who would only marry a skinny chick and would get a divorce if they got too fat that takes the biscuit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.