Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
I would take a sensual French/Spanish/European woman over some sexually repressed, uptight, overweight Canadian woman any day.

What I noticed while I was living there is that the majority of Spanish women in their 20s, 30s and even 40s are slim, well dressed, fashionable and feminine. Sure they have some overweight women, but they are in the minority. Contrast that with the N American fatties.... ughhh...

I don't know where in Toronto you've been looking but I tend to find them the exact opposite, though maybe it's just my accent?! And as mentioned elsewhere, I'd take Avril over any other female on the planet!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the attractive women in Toronto are recent immigrants, Persians, E Europeans and sure many Asian women as well, as long as they are not "Canadianized".

Where are you on 'Big Liv', Mrs Jack Layton, she's something of a sex symbol in her circle, too Canadian for you?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I don't know where in Toronto you've been looking but I tend to find them the exact opposite, though maybe it's just my accent?! And as mentioned elsewhere, I'd take Avril over any other female on the planet!
How would your accent change how women look and dress? Is it making them slimmer and more feminine? LOL. Sure, it might be helping you get the Canadian girls. Good for you. Coming from the UK, where the women seem to have adopted N American lifestyles and eating habits, I guess you don't see much difference.

European women are in a different league. You can't compare N American or British women to Europeans. My ex-gf from the Czech Republic did not have an ounce of fat on her body. Feminine, well dressed etc. N American and probably British women as well, are trying so hard to be men, that they have forgotten what it is like to be women.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where are you on 'Big Liv', Mrs Jack Layton, she's something of a sex symbol in her circle, too Canadian for you?
Ughh.. please. I don't see how a 50 plus yr old woman can be considered a "sex symbol" in any circle.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

How would your accent change how women look and dress? Is it making them slimmer and more feminine? LOL. Sure, it might be helping you get the Canadian girls. Good for you. Coming from the UK, where the women seem to have adopted N American lifestyles and eating habits, I guess you don't see much difference.

European women are in a different league. You can't compare N American or British women to Europeans. My ex-gf from the Czech Republic did not have an ounce of fat on her body. Feminine, well dressed etc. N American and probably British women as well, are trying so hard to be men, that they have forgotten what it is like to be women.
Sexist, chauvinistic claptrap
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Ughh.. please. I don't see how a 50 plus yr old woman can be considered a "sex symbol" in any circle.
you really do spout some rubbish
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
However I have only seen really overt, in your face, shouting across the street, insulting racism in three places.

Germany
France
and Spain
Would you consider the hanging of nooses, something that has been happening in the U.S. recently an example of overt racism?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daft batty
Sexist, chauvinistic claptrap
I will take that as a compliment..
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't say I've analysed all of the attractive women in Toronto but there's that Belinda Stronach, she's not a recent immigrant and yet phwoar! And then what about that Avril Lavigne? She spits a lot but I bet she's fun if you approach from behind.
Yeah Belinda Stronach is attractive for her age. Of course there are always exceptions. And you can point to numerous homegrown Canadian women that are attractive. But, overall, they are lacking.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Would you consider the hanging of nooses, something that has been happening in the U.S. recently an example of overt racism?
But we are not talking about the deep south of USA or even the USA in general, it is UK/Spain or Canada discussion isnt it?

Anyway you are not goading me into any further discussion (accept this one )
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I will take that as a compliment..
Your sort would
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Emigration because of the Weather seems an extremely trivial factor to me.
And that is you. I would venture to guess that you are in the minority. There have been numerous studies that have discovered a positive link between sunlight and seratonin. Bright sunshine makes people happier. I don't think many people would consider NB as their idea of paradise. Sure, some would and nothing against those that do. I don't know what type of lifestyle you live, but I like being outside, feeling the warmth of the sun. Whether it is walking, or just sitting at a cafe. Warmer weather is much more conducive to social interaction. I don't want to be stuck in my house for 5 or 6 months of the year or what ever. It is too depressing.

I can honestly say we have a much better quality of life and standard of living than we had in the UK.
Yet, despite your negative view about Spain, there are many people living in Spain, and posting on the Spain forums on this board and on other forums saying the same exact same thing.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

But we are not talking about the deep south of USA or even the USA in general, it is UK/Spain or Canada discussion isnt it?
My point was that even a so called "progressive country" like the USA has problems with race relations. After S Africa, this is probably one country that has had to deal with race more than any other.

Is Europe backwards when it comes to race and ignorance? Sure. They are used to live in a homogenous society, so they are unable to handle this influx of immigrants.

Maybe it is more overt in places like Spain. But is that better or worse than in places where they are thinking it, but don't show it? I don't know the answer to that.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:05 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

And that is you. I would venture to guess that you are in the minority. There have been numerous studies that have discovered a positive link between sunlight and seratonin. Bright sunshine makes people happier. I don't think many people would consider NB as their idea of paradise. Sure, some would and nothing against those that do. I don't know what type of lifestyle you live, but I like being outside, feeling the warmth of the sun. Whether it is walking, or just sitting at a cafe. Warmer weather is much more conducive to social interaction. I don't want to be stuck in my house for 5 or 6 months of the year or what ever. It is too depressing.

Yet, despite your negative view about Spain, there are many people living in Spain, and posting on the Spain forums on this board and on other forums saying the same exact same thing.
OK I couldnt resist to come out of retirement for a response

I love being outside too and yes I know there is a link between moods and sunshine, UK is pretty gray most of the winter thats one of the reasons everyone moans However it is hard to find a better place in the world than on a beautiful English Summer day sunny, temperature about 26c. The trouble is you only get 1 or 2 weeks like that.

Spain is hot and sunny, so you will be happy but crispy, and probably spend 4hours of every summer day in doors (siesta, and it will still be too hot to sleep), because only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun.

Winter pursuits get me outside in the winter so I dont batten down the hatches and never see the sun. Keep taking the vitamin D and K and you will still smile your way through those dark days of winter

And to finish off this witty repartee

I love living in Canada and ..... despite your negative view about Canada, there are many people living in Canada, and posting on the Canada forums on this board and on other forums saying the same exact same thing ..... Sound familiar?

I couldnt resist that ending, sorry
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:07 pm
Happy in NB

My point was that even a so called "progressive country" like the USA has problems with race relations. After S Africa, this is probably one country that has had to deal with race more than any other.

Is Europe backwards when it comes to race and ignorance? Sure. They are used to live in a homogenous society, so they are unable to handle this influx of immigrants.

Maybe it is more overt in places like Spain. But is that better or worse than in places where they are thinking it, but don't show it? I don't know the answer to that.
I was just warning you to be prepared to see it thats all.

It shocked me and I served 12 years in British Army in the 70's and 80's and thought nothing about racism and discrimination against minority groups would shock me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.