Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm just suggesting that Buffalo is a lovely place to visit.
Said no one ever.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:12 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Oh I am crossing my fingers for you! That carbon copy (in my case IMM5292) that looks like a piece of scrap paper is like admin gold. When I landed the agent told me that if my house was burning down to save that bit of paper before everything else!

Last year I had a problem with my application for child benefit and they demanded a copy...they weren't a bit interested in my Citizenship certificate...just the scrubby looking COPR.

Reading this thread made me get all hyperventilated and I've just been upstairs to check that it's still where I left it it was.

Very best of luck
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh I am crossing my fingers for you! That carbon copy (in my case IMM5292) that looks like a piece of scrap paper is like admin gold. When I landed the agent told me that if my house was burning down to save that bit of paper before everything else!

Last year I had a problem with my application for child benefit and they demanded a copy...they weren't a bit interested in my Citizenship certificate...just the scrubby looking COPR.

Reading this thread made me get all hyperventilated and I've just been upstairs to check that it's still where I left it it was.

Very best of luck
this might sound crazy but we actually 2ent out and bought a fireproof and waterproof safe largely to keep stuff like this secure
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Very best of luck
Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
this might sound crazy but we actually 2ent out and bought a fireproof and waterproof safe largely to keep stuff like this secure
Thats why I’m so frustrated that this governing body won’t accept the damn document. They just don’t understand. So frikin jobs worth!!! At the rate the processing times keeps going up I’ll be lucky if I get it before my deadline to apply for my license!! Then who will take responsibility?Arrhh!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a certified copy of my record of landing and last year sent for a verification of status..just because ($30 and a long wait). I have never been asked for either of them for any reason. My valid Provincial drivers license and health card served every purpose. Not sure why the panic about losing COPR. An application for a verification of status does the trick. The only problem I ever had was in BC trying to get my license and health card when I moved here and my PR card was expired. They had no interest in any other document proving I was a PR.
A COPR meant nothing to them because the only primary identification they accepted was a Canadian passport or birth certificate or a PR card. Twits they were.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

Last edited by dakota44; Jun 2nd 2018 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 12:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...like a piece of scrap paper is like admin gold. When I landed the agent told me that if my house was burning down to save that bit of paper before everything else!
Not blown away in that wind then
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I have a certified copy of my record of landing and last year sent for a verification of status..just because ($30 and a long wait). I have never been asked for either of them for any reason. My valid Provincial drivers license and health card served every purpose. Not sure why the panic about losing COPR. An application for a verification of status does the trick. The only problem I ever had was in BC trying to get my license and health card when I moved here and my PR card was expired. They had no interest in any other document proving I was a PR.
A COPR meant nothing to them because the only primary identification they accepted was a Canadian passport or birth certificate or a PR card. Twits they were.
What’s a verification of status? How long does it take?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Thats why I’m so frustrated that this governing body won’t accept the damn document. They just don’t understand. So frikin jobs worth!!! At the rate the processing times keeps going up I’ll be lucky if I get it before my deadline to apply for my license!! Then who will take responsibility?Arrhh!!!
It sucks to be stuck dealing with people like that, but their reasoning is probably security - I had a number of trips to ICBC to sort out my drivers licence, and as one of them finally explained, they just can't accept the COPR because of how simple it is - no security features, no watermarks or holograms or anything - a work or study permit is a pretty fancy document. Anyone could run off a "COPR" at home. So, although the other Provinces apparently have no problem with them, I did at least understand where they were coming from (as nearly everyone choruses when they get the COPR, I can't believe it's this basic). Possible your guys are also this paranoid - a PR card is hard to fake, like a work permit is. A COPR would be really easy.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All the info is here.

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 2:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I could swear I gave you that info and a link- or am I having a brain fart? And I did! In post 9 on May 17th!!! lol Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh I so hate jobsworths.
Or you could apply for a verification of status, perhaps?

Under that last one is this - for urgent applications:

"You face immediate loss of employment or loss of an employment opportunity because you are not in possession of proof of your immigration information. Include an original letter from the employer."

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 3rd 2018 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could swear I gave you that info and a link- or am I having a brain fart? And I did! In post 9 on May 17th!!! lol Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers
Sorry, I’ll check it now

Edited to say: I just followed the link and the processing time for a verification of status is 6 months! How can Canada think it’s ok to take this long and hold people’s lives up like this? It’s totally ridiculous!!!

Last edited by DandNHill; Jun 3rd 2018 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I Did that too. I forget to put sff in it and haven't seen our COPR in a long time.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I’ll check it now

Edited to say: I just followed the link and the processing time for a verification of status is 6 months! How can Canada think it’s ok to take this long and hold people’s lives up like this? It’s totally ridiculous!!!

I believe you could qualify for Urgent Processing.. as mentioned previously.

Urgent applications

In certain circumstances, you may qualify for urgent processing. If you meet one of the criteria outlined below, you must clearly mark “URGENT” on your mailing envelope and must submit sufficient proof why urgent processing is required

You face immediate loss of employment or loss of an employment opportunity because you are not in possession of proof of your immigration information. Include an original letter from the employer.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 3rd 2018 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I believe you could qualify for Urgent Processing.. as mentioned previously.

Urgent applications

In certain circumstances, you may qualify for urgent processing. If you meet one of the criteria outlined below, you must clearly mark “URGENT” on your mailing envelope and must submit sufficient proof why urgent processing is required

You face immediate loss of employment or loss of an employment opportunity because you are not in possession of proof of your immigration information. Include an original letter from the employer.
Ok, I can try that. It’s only $30 if they decide I’m not eligible. Thank you.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, I can try that. It’s only $30 if they decide I’m not eligible. Thank you.
you need to send, with your application, a letter from the agency that is holding up your employment until you have that document.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.