Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Old May 11th 2018, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

As per the title.

Anybody have an an opinion on whether these two documents are the same or different docs?

I put in my application for my real estate license with a copy of my COPR and they came back to me asking for a copy of my PR card. My PR card is expired and I hadn’t renewed it (now on it’s way to NS).

Theyre telling me that my COPR is not “landed immigrant status papers”. I don’t think they know what they’re talking about but thought I’d ask for your advise. When I asked what landed immigrant status papers were she told me she didn’t work for immigration so didn’t know. My response was that if she didn’t know how would she know it wasn’t COPR!!!! Conveniently the supervisor had had to step out of the office (yeah right!!).
Old May 11th 2018, 9:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

Originally Posted by DandNHill
As per the title.

Anybody have an an opinion on whether these two documents are the same or different docs?

I put in my application for my real estate license with a copy of my COPR and they came back to me asking for a copy of my PR card. My PR card is expired and I hadn’t renewed it (now on it’s way to NS).

Theyre telling me that my COPR is not “landed immigrant status papers”. I don’t think they know what they’re talking about but thought I’d ask for your advise. When I asked what landed immigrant status papers were she told me she didn’t work for immigration so didn’t know. My response was that if she didn’t know how would she know it wasn’t COPR!!!! Conveniently the supervisor had had to step out of the office (yeah right!!).
When we arrived all we had was COPR, no PR Cards at all. I would speculate that the COPR is confirmation of PR, as a PR card is issued on the basis of the COPR.
Old May 11th 2018, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence document vs Landed Immigrant Status papers

That was the old document which was the IMM 1000 Record Of Landing which was issued prior to 2002. The new document IMM 5688 is the new Confirmation Of Permanent Residency form issued to all new PR's.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...er-6-2016.html

Print this link off if they need more proof.
Old May 12th 2018, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
That was the old document which was the IMM 1000 Record Of Landing which was issued prior to 2002. The new document IMM 5688 is the new Confirmation Of Permanent Residency form issued to all new PR's.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...er-6-2016.html

Print this link off if they need more proof.
Thank you so much. I will be sure to do that for Monday when the battle starts again!!
Old May 12th 2018, 1:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As per the title.

You might want to also let them know that there is no legal requirement to hold a PR card in Canada (unless you intend to fly out of the country and back). I had the same issue with renewing my OHIP card - they didn't want to accept my expired PR card nor my expired passport - but they would accept a current Visa card as proof of identity!

COPR is, as FL already stated, your Confirmation of Permanent Residence status and as such you must retain it if you wish to claim a pension or apply for citizenship etc., so don't give them the original, only a copy!!

Old May 12th 2018, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might want to also let them know that there is no legal requirement to hold a PR card in Canada (unless you intend to fly out of the country and back). I had the same issue with renewing my OHIP card - they didn't want to accept my expired PR card nor my expired passport - but they would accept a current Visa card as proof of identity!

COPR is, as FL already stated, your Confirmation of Permanent Residence status and as such you must retain it if you wish to claim a pension or apply for citizenship etc., so don't give them the original, only a copy!!

I tried telling them that I didn't legally have to hold a valid PR card but they were just not listening... I'm going to have to wait until Monday but at least I know I am right!!! Then they were saying the date on my COPR was expired so they don't get it at all!!! I'm getting the broker of record on to it!!!
Old May 17th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

So it has taken a week fo me to be told they won’t accept my COPR that it’s not a valid document.

Theres no no fight left in me!!!

Thry said, because they think they’re nice, that once I get confirmation of receipt of my application and that it’s in process that they will give me my license. We all know that CIC acknowledging anything like that is almost impossible. Anybody had any recent experience receiving acknowledgements from them?

Im beyond angry. But there’s no point fighting them. They’re just shitty employees who don’t know what a COPR is.
Old May 17th 2018, 8:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So it has taken a week fo me to be told they won’t accept my COPR that it’s not a valid document.

Thry said, because they think they’re nice, that once I get confirmation of receipt of my application and that it’s in process that they will give me my license. We all know that CIC acknowledging anything like that is almost impossible. Anybody had any recent experience receiving acknowledgements from them?

Im beyond angry. But there’s no point fighting them. They’re just shitty employees who don’t know what a COPR is.

Oh I so hate jobsworths.

Perhaps printing off something that shows - without doubt - that a COPR is proof of your legal status in Canada?

https://settlement.org/ontario/immig...copr-document/
Social Benefits

When you apply for Old Age Security Pension (OAS) you can use certified copies of your CoPR document or Record of Landing as "Proof of Canadian Legal Status".

What does the immigration category on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence document mean?
What does the immigration category on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence document mean?

When we approve an immigrant for permanent residence in Canada, we will give them a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document. An immigration officer at the port of entry or an IRCC office signs and dates this document when permanent residence is finally granted. Permanent residents use this document to show to provincial and territorial organizations to access services. There is an immigration category printed on this document.

Or you could apply for a verification of status, perhaps?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

Under that last one is this - for urgent applications:

"You face immediate loss of employment or loss of an employment opportunity because you are not in possession of proof of your immigration information. Include an original letter from the employer."

Last edited by Siouxie; May 17th 2018 at 8:43 pm.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an issue about 5 years ago when I tried to go to school, I was trying to get gov't funding that was available to upgrade my skills, and my card was expired as I had not yet received the new one, they refused to accept anything other then the PR card.

In the end no amount of trying got them to accept my COPR they just refused and I didn't go to school.

I hope you can get your license soon and can get this resolved.

My wife wanted to get her license in BC, she has a great interest in real estate, she used to work in an office and I think that got her interested.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh I so hate jobsworths.

Perhaps printing off something that shows - without doubt - that a COPR is proof of your legal status in Canada?

https://settlement.org/ontario/immig...copr-document/
Social Benefits

When you apply for Old Age Security Pension (OAS) you can use certified copies of your CoPR document or Record of Landing as "Proof of Canadian Legal Status".

When we approve an immigrant for permanent residence in Canada, we will give them a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document. An immigration officer at the port of entry or an IRCC office signs and dates this document when permanent residence is finally granted. Permanent residents use this document to show to provincial and territorial organizations to access services. There is an immigration category printed on this document.

Or you could apply for a verification of status, perhaps?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

Under that last one is this - for urgent applications:

"You face immediate loss of employment or loss of an employment opportunity because you are not in possession of proof of your immigration information. Include an original letter from the employer."
As you say...jobsworth.

Im writing a complaint to the manager but I don’t think it will make any difference, although I will include some of the info you gave me so thank you.

So looks like I will be having a different kind of summer to the one I expected!

Thanks for your support.
Old May 18th 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I had an issue about 5 years ago when I tried to go to school, I was trying to get gov't funding that was available to upgrade my skills, and my card was expired as I had not yet received the new one, they refused to accept anything other then the PR card.

In the end no amount of trying got them to accept my COPR they just refused and I didn't go to school.

I hope you can get your license soon and can get this resolved.

My wife wanted to get her license in BC, she has a great interest in real estate, she used to work in an office and I think that got her interested.
Sounds like where I’m at. They’ve told me once I get confirmation they are processing my application at CIC to reapply and they will grant me my license but we all know what CIC are like at acknowledging anything.

Im really excited about getting in to real estate although the pessimist in me wonders if it will ever happen. The broker of record however is being super supportive. I’m glad I’m going with them...eventually.
Old May 18th 2018, 3:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited about getting in to real estate...
You know you'll be selling houses and not doing a Loyd Grossman Through The Keyhole sort of thing?
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or the IMM5292 which came inbetween. This is an official Govt. of Canada link which lists the COPR and the record of landing on the same line, so I would just direct them to this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

I have to say I find the whole immigration system a bit ridiculous because it always comes back to this bit of paper at the end of the day. They have all these super duper hard to forge things like the PR card and your passport, visa, etc. but this piece of carbon copy paper is what they always ask for in the end when there's any sort of question about your status.

The one and only time I ever actually dealt directly with a CIC employee face-to-face was at the POE and she printed off my COPR and waved it in my face: "Whatever you do, don't lose this piece of paper!" Without that warning I suspect most people give it the same sort of respect that you would for a shop receipt.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh can I relate to this post. When I moved to BC from Ontario and went to get my license and health care changed to BC. My PR card was expired and they did not accept my Ont license or my U.S. passport as primary ID...nor would they accept my Proof of Status. Had to do with renewing temporary non photo licenses for 6 months waiting for new PR card. I do agree that in your case they should accept a proof of status. But...I also understand that a document issued...say 10 years ago...does not prove you have fulfilled the residency requirements to maintain your status nor does it prove your status has not been revoked. Kind of a catch 22.
Old May 24th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup. I’m stuck in limbo until I get my new PR card. Only about another 95 days... As per above I MIGHT be lucky and receive confirmation they are processing it, but I doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.