Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of Permanant Residence Visa Just Arrived - HELP

Confirmation of Permanant Residence Visa Just Arrived - HELP

Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:11 pm
Disneys

Default Confirmation of Permanant Residence Visa Just Arrived - HELP

Hello

Can anyone help my family and I with some questions or point us to where everything we need to know is printed. I was suprised that there was no information booklet / manual provided with the visas.

1. Our COPR lists our destination as Vancouver BC. Can we land in another province and apply for our PR cards there? or do we have to do it in BC?

2. How long does it take to go through immigration at the airport?

3. What do we need to show immigration at the airport / and later for the PR card.

4. It says PR cards are posted, but can you go in to wherever they come from and get them on the same day?

5. We received our visas after a 30 month wait, and they only have 6 weeks before they expire, and this includes the Christmas period. We have no option but to go (for a holiday) before the visa expires, apply for the PR card and then return to the UK. Has anyone else done this, and is there any problems I need to watch out for. I know about the 730 days in 5 years thing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Nick & Family

Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanant Residence Visa Just Arrived - HELP

HI

Originally Posted by Disneys
Hello

Can anyone help my family and I with some questions or point us to where everything we need to know is printed. I was suprised that there was no information booklet / manual provided with the visas.

1. Our COPR lists our destination as Vancouver BC. Can we land in another province and apply for our PR cards there? or do we have to do it in BC?

2. How long does it take to go through immigration at the airport?

3. What do we need to show immigration at the airport / and later for the PR card.

4. It says PR cards are posted, but can you go in to wherever they come from and get them on the same day?

5. We received our visas after a 30 month wait, and they only have 6 weeks before they expire, and this includes the Christmas period. We have no option but to go (for a holiday) before the visa expires, apply for the PR card and then return to the UK. Has anyone else done this, and is there any problems I need to watch out for. I know about the 730 days in 5 years thing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Nick & Family
1. Yes as long as it not Quebec.
2. How long is a piece of string? Depends on the airport, time of day, and number flights arriving at the same time. Could be 15 minutes, could be 4 hours.
3. Valid passports, COPR, proof of settlement funds, goods accompanying and goods to follow list.
4. The PR cards will be mailed to an address in Canada (can be friends) if you don't have an address you have 160 days to give CIC a Canadian address. No you can't pick them up.

PMM
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
4. The PR cards will be mailed to an address in Canada (can be friends) if you don't have an address you have 160 days to give CIC a Canadian address. No you can't pick them up.

PMM

I thought it was 180 days, not 160.

Jeremy
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought it was 180 days, not 160.

Jeremy
Typo